Sight impaired amateurs

N6RXT

Re: Sight impaired amateurs

Post by N6RXT » Tue May 12, 2020 4:41 am

Yes. having beeps at channel 1, zone 1, as well as the ends of menus would go a long way to making the radio usable. Also, quick ways to enter numbers of either talkgroups, zones and channels.

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Tue May 12, 2020 8:16 am

Hi Roger,

yes,obviously having the voice prompts would the perfect solution but adding a different beep for 1st channel and 1st Talk-group/Contact would really go a long way to allowing the GD77 to be used by the blind even if not all functions were available or of course the key press combination. I must admit I did not look to see if blue key plus hash was already assigned but as you say any combination would do the job. Many thanks for this and all the other work you have done to make OpenGD77 so amazing.
Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri May 15, 2020 11:26 am

FYI.

I'm currently working on the voice prompts but at the moment the AMBE is not decoding correctly :-(

I think there is some difference between the AMBE encoding in the files from EA3IHI and W0RMT and the data format which the decoder in the firmware expects.

I think I'll need to try to encode some audio using the encoder in the firmware and then play that audio via the decoder in the firmware, to see if the audio decodes correctly.

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Fri May 15, 2020 1:00 pm

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask, it's akin to this discussion. Is there a way to go to a particular talkgroup in the RX Group?

IE: My RX group has Kentucky, Unlink, WW English, Ohio, etc, etc. Let's say I'm on some random TG, and I type in #3121 (Kentucky), then hit Right, is it possible to wind up on Unlink? Right now I think it goes to the next TG from where I was before I did #3121.

I've pondered this scenario a few times while using the radio, and this discussion makes me think it could also be relevant for sight impaired users too.

I think the above work would be pretty intuitive assuming the TG is in your current RX group. If it's not I'm not sure what the behavior should be. Maybe if it's in the current RX group, "jump" to that position in the RX Group list (right/left) if not, behave the way it currently does?

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Fri May 15, 2020 3:40 pm

If you use the "#" function to enter a talkgroup number, you can enter ANY talkgroup number (not just the ones in the grouplist associated with the codeplug) then hit the "Enter" (green) key on the left to activate it. #1234<enter> puts you on talkgroup 1234.

This becomes the active talkgroup, and after that, the "right" button returns you to the last talkgroup the radio was using before you manually entered one.

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Fri May 15, 2020 5:05 pm

kd2lh wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:40 pm
If you use the "#" function to enter a talkgroup number, you can enter ANY talkgroup number (not just the ones in the grouplist associated with the codeplug) then hit the "Enter" (green) key on the left to activate it. #1234<enter> puts you on talkgroup 1234.

This becomes the active talkgroup, and after that, the "right" button returns you to the last talkgroup the radio was using before you manually entered one.
I'm aware of all of that. My point was if I were blind, if I know 3121 is the first in my RX Group that would be a nice way to get back to that spot in my RX Group list, rather than remembering all of the TG numbers.

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Fri May 15, 2020 6:08 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:26 am
FYI.

I'm currently working on the voice prompts but at the moment the AMBE is not decoding correctly :-(

I think there is some difference between the AMBE encoding in the files from EA3IHI and W0RMT and the data format which the decoder in the firmware expects.

I think I'll need to try to encode some audio using the encoder in the firmware and then play that audio via the decoder in the firmware, to see if the audio decodes correctly.
I will take a look at the audio-assist branch, and make some tests with ambe data that produce well known pcm results. Maybe not all of the bit (un)packing functions that are used for the DMR frames need to be applied to the ambe data in the voice files... because it is not an endianness problem, isn't it?
EA3IHI - David

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri May 15, 2020 9:55 pm

The audio assist branch only contains code to change the beep

I am working on a separate local branch for the ambe playback, just on one of the menus, I.e Display Options

There is currently one problem with the beep assist , because the top level menus have a different numbering to the other screens and this causes the indicator beep to happen at the second item not the first item.
I will try to fix this today

I am still getting noise at the start of the AMBE playback but I checked all the buffering and processing and I can’t see any errors.
I will do some more investigation today

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Fri May 15, 2020 10:18 pm

The voice prompt does not sound too bad, at least after the changes I did to your voice prompts branch (I was wrong about the branch name in my previous post). I have created a PR which includes updated ambe data for the display options prompt and a change in a if statement after the prompt plays.

I have uploaded a video of my tests:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_DJJ94 ... sp=sharing
EA3IHI - David

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat May 16, 2020 1:10 am

Hi David

What I don't understand why the beginning of the playback is distorted, perhaps the audio level of the WAV file was too high before it was compressed.

Also, your new data in the PR is not a multiple of 27 bytes (but this does not seem to be much of a problem)

I'll try some other encoded audio from your google drive, to see if they all have distortion at the beginning