Sight impaired amateurs

VK3KYY

Re: Sight impaired amateurs

Post by VK3KYY » Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 am

TTSmp3.com voices

Guys

I've been doing some tests and the ttsmp3.com voice (Amazon Polly voice) called "Matthew" seems to be one of the best for most people who speak English

I have listened to the British and Australia voices on that site, and apart from wanting a local dialect with an Aussie twang, I think that the "Matthew" voice seems to be the best.

I have noticed some words like "Beep" don't sound that good, as the "p" is fairly quiet, so we may have to do something to the text to cause individual letters to be emphasised

Also... I've noticed ttsmp3.com has both character and time limits, but if you clear your browser cache, you can continue to test this stuff.

However there is a 3000 character limit, so you can't cut and paste the whole wordlist, because it will cause ttsmp3.com to say you've exceeded their limits and I think you then may need to clear your cache to continue

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Sat May 23, 2020 9:13 am

I updated the CPS 2 days ago, so that it should be possible to activate the fields

Download the latest Release version

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... taller.exe

Let me know if that version now works OK.
Hi Roger,
many, many thanks for that I have just tested it and all seems to be working perfectly. I will now create a complete code-plug and check it with a screen reader but I don't anticipate any problems and the CPS will then be useable by any blind ham who needs it.
Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

N6RXT

Post by N6RXT » Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm

Downloaded the 05/21 build of the cps
activating fieldds with a keyboard doesn't seem to work. here are the steps I took.
open cps.
press alt s for settings and arrow down to channels.
tab twice to get to the field with channel name in it.
Pressing enter goes to the next row. as expected it might.
pressing space moves you back to the drop down to select digital or analog.
f2, shift f10 or applications key does nothing.

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 pm

N6RXT wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm
Downloaded the 05/21 build of the cps
activating fieldds with a keyboard doesn't seem to work. here are the steps I took.
open cps.
press alt s for settings and arrow down to channels.
tab twice to get to the field with channel name in it.
Pressing enter goes to the next row. as expected it might.
pressing space moves you back to the drop down to select digital or analog.
f2, shift f10 or applications key does nothing.
Hi,
I think you will find it is working just fine. When you press the space bar it opens the channel information window and the first field is indeed digital/analog and if you tab you will be able to move to all the fields you need to edit like TX Frequency, RX frequency etc.
Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

N6RXT

Post by N6RXT » Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Oh. I see how this works now. I was thinking it worked like excel. But it makes the hole thing accessible via tab.
Thanks for that.

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Sun May 24, 2020 8:14 am

Hi Roger,

everything seems to be working really well and I can create a code plug using the new CPS and only the Windows Keyboard. A fantastic step forrward for blind hams who want to do everything themselves without sighted help and I'm busy writing instructions for the blind to upload OpenGD77, Write a code plug, Upload the Code Plug, turn on the Beep and voice assist, the keypad layout and finally using the GD77 as a blind ham. Hopefully all the instructions will be ready in readable and audio form very soon. As not everything is voiced it's important at the moment that the blind ham has both enabled.

Using the beep and voice prompts everything seems to work fine and he can use the beeps to tell him when switching from DMR to FMN and from Channel to VFO mode.

I know you were planing to add voice prompts for TS1 and TS2 don't know if there is enough memory to also voice DMR/FMN and Channel/VFO Mode ?

Here in Europe there are a whole group blind hams who have either ordered or want to order their GD77 so you can see what effect the new firmware is having on them. Freeing them from the 77S at last.
Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 am

Hi Ian

I've been working on the complete set of audio prompts for the radio, which are actually 185 different files.

I've written scripts so that the prompt audio files, for different languages can be automatically downloaded from a couple of free websites, e.g www.voicepolly.pro
I've also written scripts to process these MP3 files into RAW uncompressed audio at 8kHz sample rate, which is the step prior to encoding to AMBE files.

Because I don't have an AMBE dongle, I'm going to develop a utility which uses the radio to encode the WAV to AME, but its taking many hours of work to write both the additional firmware code and the utility code, so I"m unlikely to have much to show for at least another week.

So, as an interim measure I can add a few more voice prompts as we have a small number of voice prompt words in the current dataset that was created by W0RMT and EA3IHI, so I should be able to voice the TS number and also the words Channel and VFO.

Unfortunately we don't have the word "Mode", so I can't play "Channel Mode' and "VFO Mode"

I'm not sure is voicing "Timeslot 1" and "Timeslot 2" each time the star button is pressed would be necessary, or possibly too invasive.
What I will initially do is the same thing with the other prompts, and only play them when the Black button (SK1) is pressed.

So if you change timeslot, and then press the black button, it would voice the current TS number.
Hence to find the current TS, you could press star twice and then press the Black button

Cheers

Roger

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Sun May 24, 2020 11:06 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 am
Hi Ian

I've been working on the complete set of audio prompts for the radio, which are actually 185 different files.

I've written scripts so that the prompt audio files, for different languages can be automatically downloaded from a couple of free websites, e.g www.voicepolly.pro
I've also written scripts to process these MP3 files into RAW uncompressed audio at 8kHz sample rate, which is the step prior to encoding to AMBE files.

Because I don't have an AMBE dongle, I'm going to develop a utility which uses the radio to encode the WAV to AME, but its taking many hours of work to write both the additional firmware code and the utility code, so I"m unlikely to have much to show for at least another week.

So, as an interim measure I can add a few more voice prompts as we have a small number of voice prompt words in the current dataset that was created by W0RMT and EA3IHI, so I should be able to voice the TS number and also the words Channel and VFO.

Unfortunately we don't have the word "Mode", so I can't play "Channel Mode' and "VFO Mode"

I'm not sure is voicing "Timeslot 1" and "Timeslot 2" each time the star button is pressed would be necessary, or possibly too invasive.
What I will initially do is the same thing with the other prompts, and only play them when the Black button (SK1) is pressed.

So if you change timeslot, and then press the black button, it would voice the current TS number.
Hence to find the current TS, you could press star twice and then press the Black button

Cheers

Roger
Many thanks Roger,
The time slot prompt is not so important because it is possible to hear the high and low beep tone when changing time-slots and also when changing from DMR to NBFM and back again. The VFO isn't really very important for the basic use of the radio and again the Beep system can tell a blind ham whether he has moved to Channel mode or VFO mode if he is unsure as he will probably want to stay in channel mode.

I have noticed one problem when using the upload of the firmware I can do everything with the keyboard of the computer except when it brings up the menu for choosing a radio model for the upload. I can't find any way of getting the focus onto this window. I've asked a blind friend who has lot's of experience and maybe there is a way. If not I will let you know.
Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 am

Ian

You mean in the firmware loader, the Radio Button selection.

We originally could detect the radio but unforunately when we started to support the RD-5R it uses the same ID as the GD-77S, so we had to remove automatic identification.

I guess we could change the radio buttons to a drop down menu, but there should be some interface for in Windows to select a radio button using the keyboard

Thanks

roger

N6RXT

Post by N6RXT » Sun May 24, 2020 2:39 pm

The problem is when you load the utility focus isn't being set in the window, and you have to click the mouse in the window. once you click the mouse to set focus, things work as expected.
VK3KYY wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 am
Ian

You mean in the firmware loader, the Radio Button selection.

We originally could detect the radio but unforunately when we started to support the RD-5R it uses the same ID as the GD-77S, so we had to remove automatic identification.

I guess we could change the radio buttons to a drop down menu, but there should be some interface for in Windows to select a radio button using the keyboard

Thanks

roger