Few questions about DM-1701 from blind person

UB1APZ

Few questions about DM-1701 from blind person

Post by UB1APZ » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:22 pm

Hello!
Firstly I apologize for my english and for the fact that I have probably posted in wrong place on the forum.

So, as the subject says I am blind and so have several questions about current status of openGD77 for Baofeng DM-1701.
I allready have DM-1801 with latest OpenGD77 installed and I really love it because everything is narrated with voice prompts. I use it frequently and it works nice.

But also I have Bao DM-1701 which I bought because on aliexpress there was written that it also has voice prompts.
But the only thing it reads are channel numbers when switching them.
I found a post where OpenGD77 support for DM-1701 is announced but with several bugs.
But I didn't find complete information about how to flash it, what are keyboard commands, what my dm-1701 with OpenGD77 can do and what it cannot do yet or will never be able to do due to some restrictions.

If you have enough free time, please help me finding all the information about the current status for DM-1701, flashing process and some tutorial for this radio model.

Also, can I use my codeplug from dm-1801 with 1701 or they are so different and I have to add everything by hands?

My the greatest thanks in advance!
Hope that somebody helps.

DJ0HF

Re: Few questions about DM-1701 from blind person

Post by DJ0HF » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:16 am

Hi,

well the good new is if you have already installed OpenGD77 on a DM-1801 with voice prompts and code plug etc. Then the procedure to do the same thing with the DM-1701 is almost the same just needing different firmware and voice prompts. Also your new radio can use the same code plug as your DM1801.

The DM1701 is similar to the MDUV380/RT3S and so is in the same package. If you download my package for the MDUV380/RT3S then you will find everything in the package that you will need. This includes the latest CPS which you should install first and then you can use this new CPS both with your DM1701 and your DM1801. The package also contains the firmware for the DM1701 plus the latest voice prompts and also 7 tutorials which take you step by step through installing the CPS, uploading firmware and voice prompts and so on through to using the radio as a blind user with the voice prompts.
I don't know if you are blind but whether or not you will find everything in the package. Which you can download by going to my web-page for the MDUV380/RT3S and if you have any questions or problems you can contact me directly by E-Mailing me at dj0hf@spencerweb.net.
The Link to my MDUV380/RT3S web-page is below :-

http://spencerweb.net/Downloads/OpenUV3 ... uv380.html

Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

UB1APZ

Post by UB1APZ » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:42 pm

Thank you very very much for this! I will look at your webpage and follow your tutorials. Hope that I will not break something and get a working dm1701 after flashing.
Thank you again for help and for fast reply.

UB1APZ

Post by UB1APZ » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:24 pm

Thank you again, @DJ0HF, the tutorial that you gave me has helped very much!
I have flashed the ROM successfully and now have completely working and speaking dm-1701.
The only thing I would like to improve in your tutorial is about part 2, flashing the firmware.
I had problems because I forgot to install USB-driver and without it my CPS didn't see my radio even if it was connected.
I thought about wrong cabble, even searched around in my house for other similar cabbles but found only one for Baofeng uv5r which was not suitable for DM series.
But after an hour of useless actions I realized that the usb driver is missing and installed it.

After that everything were okay and I managed to flash the ROM, copy and flash my code plug from dm1801 and even check how the new thing works by contacting nearby DMR repeater with 997 private call for echo testing.

Thank you again and 73!

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:51 pm

I don't know if it's possible to check the device manager if the DFU device pops up.
But if it's not there can be a number of causes.
  • Driver not installed or not working
  • Wrong cable
  • Radio is not in DFU mode.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:42 pm

If you are using Windows 11, the problem will probably be because Windows 11 installs the wrong driver

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:03 am

Hi UB1ABZ,

it seems that especially since more people are using windows 11 that this problem with windows selecting the wrong driver is happening more often and so I have updated tutorial 2 uploading firmware and voice prompts to warn about this and provide the solution.

Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO