Coming from stock codeplug to OpenGD format... how to convert?

SP2WLF

Coming from stock codeplug to OpenGD format... how to convert?

Post by SP2WLF » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:13 am

Hey There, Jake SP2WLF here!

I'm planning for some time to flash OpenGD77 firmware to the TYT MD-UV380 radio. I know every pros/cons about it. Studied whole manuał on github and all seems nice and easy to understand.

But my biggest concern is converting stock codeplug to the OpenGD format
In stock cp I have over 300 channels, many many talkgroups, over 5000 contacts.

Is there an easy way to convert stock(official) codeplug to the OpenGD format? I was making the codeplug for over 2 years, adding new channels, new talkgroups. I don't wanna do IT from scratch once more.

Thanks for the answers to!
Regards, Jake

lu2efi

Re: Coming from stock codeplug to OpenGD format... how to convert?

Post by lu2efi » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:21 am

You can write your desired codeplug to the radio with the original CPS, then read it with OpenGD77 CPS and save it. AFAIK this could be done even with original firmware.
I don't know if the OpenGD77 CPS can directly read "original" codeplug files, maybe this is another -easiest- option.

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:50 am

This does not work, both radios use different codeplug formats. It is possible to backup the whole flash memory in case you want to go back to stock firmware and restore it later, but not load the stock codeplug in OpenGD77 format.

EA3V

Post by EA3V » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:13 pm

SP2WLF wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:13 am
Hey There, Jake SP2WLF here!

I'm planning for some time to flash OpenGD77 firmware to the TYT MD-UV380 radio. I know every pros/cons about it. Studied whole manuał on github and all seems nice and easy to understand.

But my biggest concern is converting stock codeplug to the OpenGD format
In stock cp I have over 300 channels, many many talkgroups, over 5000 contacts.

Is there an easy way to convert stock(official) codeplug to the OpenGD format? I was making the codeplug for over 2 years, adding new channels, new talkgroups. I don't wanna do IT from scratch once more.

Thanks for the answers to!
Regards, Jake

The OpenGd77 concept is amateur radio equipment concept.

It simply takes you back to the concept that we radio amateurs had about how to operate a walkie.

NEW OPENGD77 CONCEPT

1 ZONE for all DMR repeaters and a single memory per repeater
1 ZONE for all FM repeaters and a single memory per repeater
1 ZONE for DMR Hotspot memories and a single memory per Hotspot
So for everything

If you look, it is the same thing that we have always done in a conventional FM walkie, what we radio amateurs do.
Why is it handled like this? because it is very easy to change from DMR to FM and just as easy to select the Slot and etc.
We can also listen to all the TG and the 2 Slots and we select everything we are listening to by touching a button...

OpenGD77 is a pure amateur radio concept. It is made by and for radio amateurs.

73 Toni EA3V

ZL2MGS

Post by ZL2MGS » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:01 pm

As mentioned by Toni EA3V, the concept behind OpenGD77 and its handling of radio programming is very different from the commercial CPS.

As a simple example, say the 300 channels you currently have were to consist of 30 repeaters with the same 10 TGs programmed on each one, giving 300 channel entries in total. Using OpenGD77 CPS that same configuration would consist of 30 repeater channels, 10 TG entries and a single TG List entry - a total of 41 entries rather than the 300 you currently have.

I faced a similar issue when moving to OpenGD77 and, after looking at the structure of the OpenGD77 code plug, decided my best option would be to start from scratch rather than trying to convert.

I recommend you look at an example of an OpenGD77 code plug (you should be able to find one in the "Localization" section of the forum) and you'll probably be amazed (as I was) at the brilliant work of the development team. I also recommend a very careful reading of the OenGD77 documentation - there's a wealth of detail in there that covers just about everything you need to know.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:23 am

Its also unlikely you would need 10 TG lists

Normally each repeater is part of a network, e.g DMR MARC, or Brandmeister, and especially for DMR MARC they often have rules that apply to all repeaters on that network

So I only have 2 TG lists. One for DMR MARC and another for Brandmeister

Also. TG's can be manually entered by pressing # followed by the TG number, so you don't need to include TG's that you use infrequently into the TG list it clutters the list.

i.e My BM TG list only consists of 3 entries for TG's I use often e.g. TG505 Australia , and any other TG I want to use on BM I manually enter

Also...

If you are listening on a repeater e.g. BM, and receive a TG you that the radio is not set to, simply pressing button SK2, will change the radio to that TG, so you don't even have to enter # NNNNN