[Solved: New Cable] Code 10: [Programming Cable] Won't Start | TYT MD-UV390

KQ4IOE

[Solved: New Cable] Code 10: [Programming Cable] Won't Start | TYT MD-UV390

Post by KQ4IOE » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:36 pm

Good evening,

I have been really excited about my new MD-UV390, and especially excited about OpenGD77. However, I've had numerous issues with the programming cord. I finally got it to connect and installed the generic STM DFU driver, only for it to not work. Device manager tells me:
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."
It also gave me a similar issue where the request for the USB device descriptor failed before I installed the driver.
Is this an issue with the cable or the driver? Does anyone have the correct driver for the cable?

Thanks in advance. This has been quite frustrating so far.
Last edited by KQ4IOE on Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VK3KYY

Re: Code 10: [Programming Cable] Won't Start | TYT MD-UV390

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:46 pm

KQ4IOE wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:36 pm
Good evening,

I have been really excited about my new MD-UV390, and especially excited about OpenGD77. However, I've had numerous issues with the programming cord. I finally got it to connect and installed the generic STM DFU driver, only for it to not work. Device manager tells me:
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."
It also gave me a similar issue where the request for the USB device descriptor failed before I installed the driver.
Is this an issue with the cable or the driver? Does anyone have the correct driver for the cable?

Thanks in advance. This has been quite frustrating so far.

You've not really supplied enough information for anyone to help you.

What version of Windows are you using (assuming you are using WIndows... you didnt say)
What version of STM DFU driver do you have installed. You say you installed a driver, what driver did you install ??
FYI. The driver installed by the CPS is not for firmware upload, its for Comms with the radio after the firmware has been loaded.

What device name appears in the windows device manager when the radio is plugged in. What is the VID/PID of the USB device.
What did you do to put the radio into DFU mode.

etc
etc
etc

KQ4IOE

Post by KQ4IOE » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:24 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:46 pm
Understood. Here is more information.

I'm using a Windows 10 computer with the "proper" driver installed (I thought I had installed a generic one by accident) from a .inf file provided by TYT. The name of the driver is "STTub30". There is no "real" device name as it just shows the name of the driver, "STM Device in DFU Mode". Because of the error and being unable to obtain a device descriptor, it didn't give me a VID/PID. The best I found was one line that said "Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&65118fa&0&4 was configured", if that helps. As for the radio, I tried it both in and out of DFU mode. I just turned it on while pressing PTT and the top button to turn on DFU mode.

I really just want to know if this is a cable issue or a driver one. It seems to be a cable issue since I haven't seen this happen before, but I just want to make sure.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:31 am

KQ4IOE wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:24 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:46 pm
Understood. Here is more information.

I'm using a Windows 10 computer with the "proper" driver installed (I thought I had installed a generic one by accident) from a .inf file provided by TYT. The name of the driver is "STTub30". There is no "real" device name as it just shows the name of the driver, "STM Device in DFU Mode". Because of the error and being unable to obtain a device descriptor, it didn't give me a VID/PID. The best I found was one line that said "Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&65118fa&0&4 was configured", if that helps. As for the radio, I tried it both in and out of DFU mode. I just turned it on while pressing PTT and the top button to turn on DFU mode.

I really just want to know if this is a cable issue or a driver one. It seems to be a cable issue since I haven't seen this happen before, but I just want to make sure.
I've no idea about what driver TYT

But from what you have said, it looks more like a cable or connection problem

I'd also uninstall the driver from TYT including checking the box to Delete the files it has installed, as Windows normally installs the correct device driver its self.

Where did you get the cable. Did it come with the radio?

One of the guys at my local club has a similar problem with a GD77 cable not working, and it transpired to be a mechanical problem with the plug, becuase the metal part of the plug was moving up inside the plastic housing when it was plugged into the PC and the caused the electrical connections of the plug to not being fully connected

Check you don't have this same sort of magic trick going on

KQ4IOE

Post by KQ4IOE » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:22 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:31 am
I've no idea about what driver TYT

But from what you have said, it looks more like a cable or connection problem

I'd also uninstall the driver from TYT including checking the box to Delete the files it has installed, as Windows normally installs the correct device driver its self.

Where did you get the cable. Did it come with the radio?

One of the guys at my local club has a similar problem with a GD77 cable not working, and it transpired to be a mechanical problem with the plug, becuase the metal part of the plug was moving up inside the plastic housing when it was plugged into the PC and the caused the electrical connections of the plug to not being fully connected

Check you don't have this same sort of magic trick going on
The cable came with the radio. It seems to be fitted properly in the USB port. However, when plugging it into the radio I have to plug it slowly until it is recognized. If I plug it in "fully" (as hard as I can) it won't work.
Uninstalling the drivers didn't fix the issue. It still wouldn't send the USB device descriptor. Could also be a radio issue. (I hope not!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/c ... ming_help/, https://twitter.com/vincedeon/status/11 ... 9609335808

Two other people had a similar problem. Going to try the drivers the seller sends me, then I'll ask for a replacement cable. Thanks for your help so far!

KJ5CIM

Post by KJ5CIM » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:06 am

I had this same issue with my radio. It’s the cheap programming cable that comes with the it. The chipset is inside the radio itself instead of the cable like others. Needless to say, I contacted the seller and they were no help. TYT doesn’t have a tech support contact, so I returned the unit and ordered another from a different seller. I actually saved some money in the process. Needless to say, as soon as I plugged in the new one, it was easily supported with the drivers I had previously installed. I will probably invest in a higher quality data cable If I decide I need it. The problem is finding a good codeplug for my area. Hope this helps.
73 KJ5CIM

KQ4IOE

Post by KQ4IOE » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:09 pm

KJ5CIM wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:06 am
I had this same issue with my radio. It’s the cheap programming cable that comes with the it. The chipset is inside the radio itself instead of the cable like others. Needless to say, I contacted the seller and they were no help. TYT doesn’t have a tech support contact, so I returned the unit and ordered another from a different seller. I actually saved some money in the process. Needless to say, as soon as I plugged in the new one, it was easily supported with the drivers I had previously installed. I will probably invest in a higher quality data cable If I decide I need it. The problem is finding a good codeplug for my area. Hope this helps.
73 KJ5CIM
Thanks, I forgot to post when I solved it. I was given a cable from a friend which solved the issue. Didn't even need drivers.