NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build [9/27][GD-77][DM-1801][RD-5R]

KB8AOB

Re: NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build [2/3]

Post by KB8AOB » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:57 pm

Have you calibrated your 1 and 5 watt levels out of curiosity? I will probably revert it to the original version, but keep a secondary build with my custom offsets, which appear to be more accurate according to my meter. Do you have a meter you could check your levels with?

As for the mic gain, there is an option for it. Menu > Options > DMR Mic > 12dB
Maybe you missed it?

Oh and hotspots are deaf. I wouldn't expect someone to be able to be heard at these lower powers on the hotspot. As I mentioned, I can hit my repeater 17 miles away, not line of sight, and with the 10mw setting, with a good RSSI of -110. But the hotspot can't hear it at all. If you test on another radio, or to a repeater using a base antenna, you'll see it really is a tiny fraction of power but does get out.
No calibration to 1 and 5, just as shipped
Checking output via reception by hotspot
Mic gain stopped at 6dB, no 12dB available

NA7Q

Re: NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build [2/3]

Post by NA7Q » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:50 am

KB8AOB wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:57 pm
Have you calibrated your 1 and 5 watt levels out of curiosity? I will probably revert it to the original version, but keep a secondary build with my custom offsets, which appear to be more accurate according to my meter. Do you have a meter you could check your levels with?

As for the mic gain, there is an option for it. Menu > Options > DMR Mic > 12dB
Maybe you missed it?

Oh and hotspots are deaf. I wouldn't expect someone to be able to be heard at these lower powers on the hotspot. As I mentioned, I can hit my repeater 17 miles away, not line of sight, and with the 10mw setting, with a good RSSI of -110. But the hotspot can't hear it at all. If you test on another radio, or to a repeater using a base antenna, you'll see it really is a tiny fraction of power but does get out.
No calibration to 1 and 5, just as shipped
Checking output via reception by hotspot
Mic gain stopped at 6dB, no 12dB available
Are you able to set it via the official firmware? I have no problems at all on my radio setting it to 12db. It sets and the setting is there.
Have you tried resetting the settings on my version? Push and hold the Blue sidekey while turning the radio on. This will reset it.
Which version are you on?

NA7Q

Re: NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build [2/7]

Post by NA7Q » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:41 am

Latest update is now available.
Includes some Hotspot fixes, Last heard entries is now 32, UHF calibration settings are now fixed to work alongside the CPS entries. For a better look, checkout the GitHub commits.
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... its/master

NA7Q

Re: NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build [2/9]

Post by NA7Q » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:32 pm

New build with 5W++ power level when long pressing SK2 + Right.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:43 pm

NA7Q wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:32 pm
This is in the latest version in the localisation topic.

Note. There is a minor problem with this.

If you increase the power multiple steps by using the auto repeat, the firmware can’t distinguish a auto repeat command from a long press, as the auto repeat and long press durations seem to be the same.
Hence you can still accidentally get to 5W++ without explicitly using a separate long press.

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:37 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:43 pm
NA7Q wrote:

If you increase the power multiple steps by using the auto repeat, the firmware can’t distinguish a auto repeat command from a long press, as the auto repeat and long press durations seem to be the same.
Hence you can still accidentally get to 5W++ without explicitly using a separate long press.
Interestingly enough I'm not able to get the key repeat to work going right, or anything for that matter. It works going left though. Not sure if that's something on just my version or what. I find that strange.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:46 pm

Mine is doing the same.

I must have been mistaken when I thought it was possible to accidentally get to 5W++ by using the auto repeat function.

Its probably because I have to use the SHORT_UP button press check for the right button press, because the standard button checking functions conflict with the LONG button press functionality.

However this is actually safer and it would take a lot of messing around to get the auto repeat and the Long press to work nicely together.

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:52 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:43 pm
NA7Q wrote:

So it looks like this is the cause for the auto key not working to the right.

Code: Select all

else if (KEYCHECK_SHORTUP(ev->keys, KEY_RIGHT))
Reverting back to PRESS fixes that function. Using this function users can't accidentally get there with key repeating unless they do a long after releasing from key repeat. But yes, certainly an issue to be addressed.

Code: Select all

else if (KEYCHECK_PRESS(ev->keys, KEY_RIGHT))
I see you beat me to the punch! I'm a slow typer I guess :P
Last edited by NA7Q on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:02 am

You're right.

I can change this back to KEYCHECK_PRESS , because as long as the LONG_PRESS is checked first the code seems to work.

I've had problems with things like this in the past where the button press was detection overrides the LONG PRESS

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 am

I've now pushed a fix for that.

BTW See my post about the Additional Power levels .

Specifically, the PA FET is rated to 6W on VHF

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/AFT05MS004N.pdf