Voice prompts

G0NHF

Re: Voice prompts

Post by G0NHF » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:18 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 am
G0NHF wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:18 am
Could I make a suggestion that the battery announcement could include the percentage figure from the main screen? Just a thought.

Thanks, Tony
How would this be accessed ? e.g what button(s) would need to be pressed
Not sure Roger,
But it would be useful to hear the percentage of the battery when selecting the battery menu. For example, ‘Battery 7.2 volts 45 percent’

What do you think?
Thanks
Tony

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:46 pm

G0NHF wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:18 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 am
G0NHF wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:18 am
Could I make a suggestion that the battery announcement could include the percentage figure from the main screen? Just a thought.

Thanks, Tony
How would this be accessed ? e.g what button(s) would need to be pressed
Not sure Roger,
But it would be useful to hear the percentage of the battery when selecting the battery menu. For example, ‘Battery 7.2 volts 45 percent’

What do you think?
Thanks
Tony
Could the percentage figure be added to battery menu? It just strikes me that the percentage figure is a better indication of how much battery is left rather than the battery voltage. Both are useful, but I always look at the screen to see the percentage to guide me on battery life. Tony

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 pm

G0NHF wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Could the percentage figure be added to battery menu? It just strikes me that the percentage figure is a better indication of how much battery is left rather than the battery voltage. Both are useful, but I always look at the screen to see the percentage to guide me on battery life. Tony
The battery percentage is just an alternative representation of the battery voltage. It does not show how much battery capacity is remaining.
There is no hardware in the radio to measure battery current, hence its not possible to determine the power consumed from the battery and hence how much theoretical battery capacity remains

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:30 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 pm
G0NHF wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:46 pm
The battery percentage is just an alternative representation of the battery voltage. It does not show how much battery capacity is remaining.
There is no hardware in the radio to measure battery current, hence its not possible to determine the power consumed from the battery and hence how much theoretical battery capacity remains
Roger, it was only a thought I had. The battery voltage announcement is great already, but most people (I would assume) are more likely to expect a battery representation in percent, but the battery menu doesn’t do percent. It’s fine as it is for me. I’m just trying to make it easier to understand.

The voice prompts are sounding nice now, but I still prefer Matthew over the female voices. You’ve done a fine job with the voice prompts, it’s been transformed!

I still think it would be a nice touch if it said ‘welcome’ when switched on, but that’s just me. Wonder what everyone else thinks? Over to you guys for your opinions.

Thanks again
Tony

VE3RWJ

Post by VE3RWJ » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:23 pm

Apologies for posting this elsewhere, before discovering this topic.

Is anybody else hearing double-triggered speech as they arrow through Options, Sound Options, and Display Options? I hear the message once as I press the Up or Down Arrow key in, and again as I release it. I'm not noticing this anywhere else.

I'm on June 10 firmware so this may have been flagged and fixed already.

Also, I'd love to know where to download other English voices besides the two Ian Spencer decided to give us in his zip file.

Thanks again for all the development in this area, and so quick too!

Chris

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:28 pm

It will be fixed in the next Development release.

I already fixed it, but the fix is now park of a load of other changes, which are still being tested.

VE3RWJ

Post by VE3RWJ » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:34 pm

Thanks Roger.

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Roger, it’s all sounding and looking pretty good now.

The only things I notice now is that when using Matthew voice, the letter T sounds like D.

The only other thing that might improve the voice experience on L3 would be a short delay in the voice prompts starting when navigating with the up/down left/right arrows. At the moment when you navigate, the voice prompts are so quick to announce that you get a Con Con Con Con effect when changing contacts. The same effect happens when changing channel. A 250msec delay before the voice started would cure this allowing quieter navigating. In fact after navigating the menus, they would probably benefit from a quarter second delay too. Constructive criticism Roger, just my thoughts on how it might sound better and work better when voice prompts are on. (I must admit I leave them on all the time and find them very useful).

Everything else looks brilliant now except for the ‘Max Headroom’ effect.

Regards
Tony
Last edited by G0NHF on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VE3RWJ

Post by VE3RWJ » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:30 pm

"Max Headroom’ effect?" What is that?

I'm not sure if this is just something peculariar about the voice I'm using, but there's a big peak in the voice on some syllables. For example, go to Options and let the first item read, "time out beep, not appolicable". There's a big distorted peak on "not".

I like navigating quickly, so I am not in favor of the 250MS delay proposed in the previous post. In fact, many blind folks who listen to screen reader speech all day, every day, prefer much faster speech overall.

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:05 pm

VE3RWJ wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:30 pm
"Max Headroom’ effect?" What is that?
Oh you’ve probably not heard of Max Headroom then? Go to YouTube and search Max Headroom. It was a UK thing in the eighties. :)

Tony