Voice prompts

VE3RWJ

Re: Voice prompts

Post by VE3RWJ » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:24 pm

I missed that one somewhere along the line. I do remember Gremlins, Back To the Future, Ghost Busters, Tron...

but not Max Headroom.

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:28 pm

VE3RWJ wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:30 pm
"Max Headroom’ effect?" What is that?

I'm not sure if this is just something peculariar about the voice I'm using, but there's a big peak in the voice on some syllables. For example, go to Options and let the first item read, "time out beep, not appolicable". There's a big distorted peak on "not".

I like navigating quickly, so I am not in favor of the 250MS delay proposed in the previous post. In fact, many blind folks who listen to screen reader speech all day, every day, prefer much faster speech overall.
Quite frankly, I doubt you would detect such a small delay, but it would make things sound a lot less messy when navigating up and down the contacts and channels. It would certainly not slow navigation down at all. If you press and hold the right arrow button to move through the contacts at the moment you hear ca ca ca ca ca ca ca. I think the argument to improve this is quite strong in my opinion.

There also seems to be some sort of corruption going on with the audio when navigating to different contacts whilst receiving a DMR signal. This causes some nasty spikes and pops out of the speaker... maybe that problem could be reduced by adding a small delay in the announcements?

Just a thought
Regards
Tony

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:37 pm

The Max Headroom effect is probably being caused because the prompt is being triggered on both the Button Down and Button Up action. I noticed this on one of the Options screens and fixed it, but it must also be happening on other screens

Re:Letters D and T sounding the same
I noticed that, and tried to manually process the audio of the T, but perhaps the manually processed audio for the T got overwritten by a subsequent update, I will need to check what happened with those letters

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:37 pm
The Max Headroom effect is probably being caused because the prompt is being triggered on both the Button Down and Button Up action. I noticed this on one of the Options screens and fixed it, but it must also be happening on other screens

I noticed that, and tried to manually process the audio of the T, but perhaps the manually processed audio for the T got overwritten by a subsequent update, I will need to check what happened with those letters
Roger,

I’ve just noticed that when a zone scan is started with the up arrow key and voice prompts are in L3 mode, it’s causing a popping/clicking noise in the speaker during the scan. It’s only happening with L3 mode.

Regards
Tony

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:53 pm

G0NHF wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:28 pm
VE3RWJ wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:30 pm
"Max Headroom’ effect?" What is that?

I'm not sure if this is just something peculariar about the voice I'm using, but there's a big peak in the voice on some syllables. For example, go to Options and let the first item read, "time out beep, not appolicable". There's a big distorted peak on "not".

I like navigating quickly, so I am not in favor of the 250MS delay proposed in the previous post. In fact, many blind folks who listen to screen reader speech all day, every day, prefer much faster speech overall.
Quite frankly, I doubt you would detect such a small delay, but it would make things sound a lot less messy when navigating up and down the contacts and channels. It would certainly not slow navigation down at all. If you press and hold the right arrow button to move through the contacts in L3 voice mode, at the moment you hear ca ca ca ca ca ca ca. I think the argument to improve this is quite strong in my opinion.

There also seems to be some sort of corruption going on with the audio when navigating to different contacts whilst receiving a DMR signal. This causes some nasty spikes and pops out of the speaker... maybe that problem could be reduced by adding a small delay in the announcements?

Just a thought
Regards
Tony

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:55 pm

G0NHF wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:37 pm

Roger,

I’ve just noticed that when a zone scan is started with the up arrow key and voice prompts are in L3 mode, it’s causing a popping/clicking noise in the speaker during the scan. It’s only happening with L3 mode.

Regards
Tony
Hi Tony.

The firmware has so many features, I have not tested the voice prompts, especially L3 on all screens and features.

I will add this to the bugs list on GitHub, so I have a record of it

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 pm

I logged 2 new issues on Github for the bugs raised in the last few comments

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/OpenGD77/issues

VE3RWJ

Post by VE3RWJ » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:18 am

Thanks for all you do there, Roger!
Dozens of blind hams are enjoying Opengd77 now, if not more!

nf8c

Post by nf8c » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:30 am

Perhaps I'm just dense so forgive me. I managed to get the voice prompts loaded but I can't find a way to activate them. I've read many pages from this thread. I tried pushing the SK1 button but that doesn't seem to do it. I'm trying to figure everything out for a fellow Ham that's blind.

Thanks in advance!

James NF8C

EDIT: The radio is an RD-5R

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:08 am

Menu->Sound Options -> Prompt:

Voice or Voice L2 or Voice L3

If you cant access the Voice option for prompt, the prompts aren't loaded.