Release 3rd May

SO5AJG

Re: Release 3rd May

Post by SO5AJG » Mon May 04, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Certainly, such a system is very bothersome, especially as many radios use one hotspot.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon May 04, 2020 6:49 pm

The ADF7021 AFC only works with constant carrier transmissions. It is not able to cope with TDMA pulsing transmissions as used by DMR. The bursts of noise in the unused timeslot cause it to loose lock.

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Mon May 04, 2020 8:34 pm

Is AFC functional and in use in MMDVM with the MMDVMHat boards on the other protocols (YSF, etc...)?

Marc

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon May 04, 2020 9:09 pm

I have no idea. However DStar and YSF are not TDMA modes so it may be.

Even without AFC a constant transmission is easier to demodulate as the detector can filter and average out the signal to determine a good threshold point. DMR is difficult to decode because the noise bursts in the unused timeslot upset any averaging circuit. Likewise any coupling capacitors will distort a TDMA waveform. This is a weak point of the MMDVM approach. DMR Chips such as the HRC-6000 in the GD-77 have specially designed decoders that do a much better job of recovering the data.

IU3MCP Giovanni

Post by IU3MCP Giovanni » Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks !!!

'73 de IU3MCP Giovanni ;)

f6fzo

Post by f6fzo » Tue May 05, 2020 2:37 pm

Merci :mrgreen:

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Tue May 05, 2020 4:28 pm

There are often such situations (about which I wrote earlier) that there is such a trembling sound as in the attached recording. This appears on both GD77 and RD5R. From what I observed, this happens just like I listen to the correspondents for longer, but I did not notice it occur when I am a participant in the conversation.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOstI0 ... sp=sharing

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Tue May 05, 2020 6:05 pm

SO5AJG wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:28 pm
There are often such situations (about which I wrote earlier) that there is such a trembling sound as in the attached recording. This appears on both GD77 and RD5R. From what I observed, this happens just like I listen to the correspondents for longer, but I did not notice it occur when I am a participant in the conversation.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOstI0 ... sp=sharing
Yes, we have been observing this phenomenon in audio from time to time for a few days (or months).
If when you listen to this audio, you turn off the phone and turn it on, the audio sounds right again. We have also been able to observe that with another receiver (md380) the audio is not distorted at the same time as the Opengd77 firmware does.
I thought it might be a DMR timeout issue, which is now at 13, and it's an odd number, and I did some testing with that number set to 14, but there's no difference. :mrgreen:
What seems clear is that it is a firmware issue. It is also not very annoying, as it does not last too long and tends to recover well.

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Wed May 06, 2020 6:48 am

This topic has been going on for some time. The recording was made by a colleague who recorded my conversation and this effect also appears on his radio GD77 from time to time.

KU4ZD

Post by KU4ZD » Sun May 10, 2020 9:43 pm

Thank you for all your work and for the DCS support it is a much needed addition

Mike

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:21 am
Because of a major problem with the Tx Power level on the RD-5R, I have released a new version for all radios.

See

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... /R20200503

The other major update is the inclusion of DCS support, thanks to KC7RBW, as well as some other GUI enhancements (by Daniel F1RMB), and also some bug fixes by me.

See the release change log on the Github page.

Note.

The power output on the RD-5R version is still far from correct, but it should no longer be overdriving the PA.

As things currently stand, I don't think there is any likelihood of the Tx power calibration being fixed on the RD-5R.

I simply don't have the time to take my RD-5R to pieces, and solder wires to the C6000 and AT1846S in order to reverse engineer the data being sent to these chips, in order to understand why the power output is so wrong.

And the last time I was in contact with Dzmitry EW1ADG, who ported the OpenGD77 to the RD-5R, he was in lockdown, and didn't have any access to anything like a logic analyser or a scope etc

I will contact Dzmitry again, and alert him to this major problem with the Tx power level, but I think it could be many months before he is able to investigate the problem.