Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

do2sta

Re: Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

Post by do2sta » Fri May 01, 2020 6:26 am

Unfortunately my RD5R does not work with the new firmware (300420) and my MMDVM hotspot. I would probably have to make an RX / TX correction at the MMDVM hotspot. Then my other radio devices with the hotspot no longer work. I hope there is still a solution. 73 Stefan, DO2STA

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Sat May 02, 2020 12:04 pm

After uploading the new Open software, the RD-5R doesn't connect to my hotspots when it connects seamlessly with the old one. Now only connects to stationary converters. From what I noticed when measuring the TX frequency, it is higher by about 1kHz (I have such accuracy in my meter) than that measured with old software.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue May 05, 2020 5:28 am

I'm not sure why this is happening, but some RD-5R and DM-5R radios are 1.5kHz high using the OpenGD77 firmware, but some radios are on the correct frequency.

I'm not sure if its DM-5R radios which are the correct frequency and RD-5R are wrong.

I will need to remove the hack which changed the frequency by 1.5kHz and then perhaps people can give me some information about whether their radio is a DM-5R or an RD-5R and whether the frequency is correct

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 06, 2020 6:42 am

Guys

VK4JWT did some PA power tests on his DM-5R, and concluded that the PA seems to be driven to saturation on any power levels above the 1W setting

I think there is a serious problem with the PA control at the moment, so the radio should be used with caution, and only use power levels less than 1W, as these are probably not going to harm the radio

I have asked Dzmitry to investigate, why the PA control seems to be so wrong.

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Wed May 06, 2020 7:13 am

Sometimes I notice the effect on the RD-5R that by changing the groups with the A / B and Band buttons once in a while, nothing is displayed, there is an empty space, returning to previous groups in the opposite direction corrects this situation.

cr7axh

Post by cr7axh » Wed May 06, 2020 11:10 am

Hi

In the last weekend i give a try in OpenGD77.
After upload the firmware, the radio stuck in the "CAL DATA ERROR" message.
I tried the solutions about the calibration file in the HEX editor.
It have the right bytes with the GD77 solution so i try the DM1801 solution without success.
I still tried upload a blank cps file from opengd77 editor and the same result.

When I return to the original firmware I see that I lost The function off Hardware reset(CALL + 1 + POWER ON).
After some tries I found the solution and I post here for who have similar problems:
1) Upload the OpenGD77 firmware;
2) In the OpenGD77 CPS, go to Extras > OpenGD77 Support and Restore Flash and Restore EEPROM from files backed before.
I suggest, before anything, when the first time upload the OpenGD77 firmware, go immediately to this menu and backup everything you can.
3) After this, upload the original firmware and everything is ok with the radio now :D

I also read anywhere in the github that you could find the firmware version 2.1.7.
I bought my radio about a year ago and it´s came with this version. The radio is labeled as DM-5R.

As I can´t upload the file because the size is high, I put the links here for download:
Firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d43t66b7sbbgr ... e.zip?dl=1
My Radio: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz6oz97zd86pd ... 7.jpg?dl=1

I hope this post can help the development of the firmware.
Thanks 73

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Wed May 06, 2020 12:56 pm

I can't understand some of the behavior of my RD-5R, namely having a two-slot hotspot in which the RX 432.000MHz is set with +1KHz offset, because with that my other radios work and only in my RD-5R after reducing TX by -700Hz allows you to connect to the hotspot . It is completely different with a single-slot hotspot working with RX 434.500MHz with a +400 Hz offset set and unchanged TX on the radio I have communication with the radio. With the offset set to -350Hz, due to other radios, I can't tune the TX radio RD-5R (setting the frequency to plus and minus) to get a hotspot connection and I don't quite understand why this is happening.
Last edited by SO5AJG on Wed May 06, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Wed May 06, 2020 2:21 pm

Update 5/6: Further testing, the RD-5R is definitely on frequency on this release. I just got through checking the radio on my Agilent/Keysight VSA transmitter tester.

My RD-5R has both Chinese and US serial numbers on two stickers. The first is "RD5R*A13xx" where "xx" is the last two numeric digits. The second sticker toward the bottom of the radio has "S/N:US20136262xx"

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Wed May 06, 2020 3:16 pm

What's the deal - update 5/6.
My RD-5R has serial numbers:
RD5R * A11xx and US20136265xx

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 06, 2020 10:02 pm

kd2lh wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:21 pm
Update 5/6: Further testing, the RD-5R is definitely on frequency on this release. I just got through checking the radio on my Agilent/Keysight VSA transmitter tester.

My RD-5R has both Chinese and US serial numbers on two stickers. The first is "RD5R*A13xx" where "xx" is the last two numeric digits. The second sticker toward the bottom of the radio has "S/N:US20136262xx"
Unfortunately though this fixed the freq offset problem on some radios, it caused other radios to move off frequency

I discussed this with VK4JWT who has a DM-5R, and his radio is no longer on the correct frequency.

It seems unlikely that the newer DM-5R has different hardware, the PCB inside by RD-5R has BF-5R printed on it, which seems to be the same revision PCB as the DM-5R.

My current guess, is that there is some difference in the calibration data between these 2 radios, which somehow the official firmware is treating differently to the open firmware