Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

VK3KYY

Re: Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:17 am

W1CY wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:35 am
I had issues again trying to load the JUNE 27th version into my RD-5R.

CPS reads Build Date 06/17/2020.

I placed the RD-5R into firmware mode, then invoked the firmware update from within the CPS, selected RD-5R and clicked to update it from the internet. Nothing happened, no progress bar, nothing.

I then powered off the RD-5R, used the Windows process screen to kill the CPS (it was stuck and did not accept termination since it still had the impression a firmware was being upgraded), and tried it again.

This time I downloaded the firmware file to my disk, restarted CPS, and tried to load the firmware using the local copy. Same problem, nothing happened. I had then to terminate the CPS the same way.

This time I used the standalone firmware update application. I selected the download from the internet version. The firmware upgrade went very smooth, no issues at all.

I am not sure what is the issue when I try it via CPS.
Fixed.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1054

nf8c

Post by nf8c » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:55 am

I still could not use the CPS to load the firmware but I got it loaded with the standalone firmware updater. I also loaded the voice prompt. Everything seems good so far.

Thanks for the excellent work! There are a lot of blind hams following this project including at least one friend of mine. He was very interested in hearing how it worked for me.

NF8C James

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 am

nf8c wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:55 am
I still could not use the CPS to load the firmware but I got it loaded with the standalone firmware updater. I also loaded the voice prompt. Everything seems good so far.

Thanks for the excellent work! There are a lot of blind hams following this project including at least one friend of mine. He was very interested in hearing how it worked for me.

NF8C James
Umm. Thats strange.

What's the build date on the CPS ?

W1CY

Post by W1CY » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 am

Odd behaviour in hotspot mode.

The PISTAR panel does not getting updated with the Rd-5R. It displays a few call sign OK, but then it freezes the call sign and the Tx timer increases itself forever, with no switch of speakers/call sign when the QSO change from one party to another. After some time the display logs infinite time.

The hotspot is working, but not updating pistar. It seems it freezes the update once the screen is full and there is no rollover signal sent to pistar.

Thanks.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:36 am

W1CY wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 am

The PISTAR panel does not getting updated with the Rd-5R. It displays a few call sign OK, but then it freezes the call sign and the Tx timer increases itself forever, with no switch of speakers/call sign when the QSO change from one party to another. After some time the display logs infinite time.

The hotspot is working, but not updating pistar. It seems it freezes the update once the screen is full and there is no rollover signal sent to pistar.

Thanks.
This is a known problem with RD-5R hardware, it emits lots of spurious RF which crashes the USB in the Raspberry PI.

I'm not sure if anyone has managed to get the RD-5R to work very well in Hotspot mode, even with RF chokes and shielding etc etc

I may have to remove Hotspot mode functionality from the RD-5R if the hardware is simply to RF noisy for anyone to use it as a Hotspot

W1CY

Post by W1CY » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:42 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:36 am
W1CY wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 am

Thanks.
This is a known problem with RD-5R hardware, it emits lots of spurious RF which crashes the USB in the Raspberry PI.

I'm not sure if anyone has managed to get the RD-5R to work very well in Hotspot mode, even with RF chokes and shielding etc etc

I may have to remove Hotspot mode functionality from the RD-5R if the hardware is simply to RF noisy for anyone to use it as a Hotspot

Thanks a lot... I will experiment with that a bit more. I got a pair of Rd-5Rs and a pair or GD-77s. It would be great to dedicate one of the lower end RD-5R as hotspot. If does not work, then I would need to get the GD-77 with that role. The main driver to try it with the Rd-5R is that I have a battery eliminator for it, and not for the GD-77. Anyway, I will check what I can do here to try to solve the RF problem. But if it is functional, I might just ignore pistar dashboard. Thanks again

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:09 am

Most people just update the GD-77 charger and replace the useless analog charge controller board with a dedicated charger module from eBay etc for a few dollars. These charger modules change the battery much quicker.

Or some people find a PSU that will deliver around 8V, at several amps, then just feed that voltage onto the charger connections to the battery and float the battery at 8V.

The one think you should not do is attempt to buck convert the 5V USB output from a RPi, to charge the battery, as you can end up with a ground loop , which can destroy the audio amp chip if you disconnect the USB cable while the RPi is powered on.
(just ask W1RHS about how he damaged his GD-77)

nf8c

Post by nf8c » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 am
nf8c wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:55 am

NF8C James
Umm. Thats strange.

The about tab does not say but the meta data said v 1.0.0.0
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:09 am
Most people just update the GD-77 charger and replace the useless analog charge controller board with a dedicated charger module from eBay etc for a few dollars. These charger modules change the battery much quicker.

Or some people find a PSU that will deliver around 8V, at several amps, then just feed that voltage onto the charger connections to the battery and float the battery at 8V.

The one think you should not do is attempt to buck convert the 5V USB output from a RPi, to charge the battery, as you can end up with a ground loop , which can destroy the audio amp chip if you disconnect the USB cable while the RPi is powered on.
(just ask W1RHS about how he damaged his GD-77)
Personally If I wanted to use the RD-5R in hotspot mode I might consider trying a battery eliminator.

N1KY

Post by N1KY » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 pm

nf8c wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Umm. Thats strange.

Look for the build date in the CPS title bar. Example: OpenGD77 CPS (Build date 20200627)

nf8c

Post by nf8c » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 am

N1KY wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 pm
nf8c wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Umm. Thats strange.

Look for the build date in the CPS title bar. Example: OpenGD77 CPS (Build date 20200627)
Thanks, I didn't notice it. It's time for an update.