Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

VK3KYY

Re: Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:31 am

Just use the Calibration screen in the CPS, to adjust the High power (5W) and Low power (1W) for each frequency range

And change the master reference oscillator value to resolve the 800Hz problem

Do you have a really accurate freq counter. ? Don't adjust your radio to match your hotspot if its 800Hz off. The hotspot is more likely to be wrong than the radio is.

W2RAU

Post by W2RAU » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:00 pm

Saw mention of "voice prompts" under another section of development updates. Does that function apply to the RD-5R firmware, or just the GD-77?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi,
W2RAU wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:00 pm
Saw mention of "voice prompts" under another section of development updates. Does that function apply to the RD-5R firmware, or just the GD-77?
It works on all supported transceivers.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

nf8c

Post by nf8c » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:36 am

My RD-5R is around 1050 hz too high. I tried adjusting the reference oscillator as someone else suggested but the frequency doesn't seem to move. Any thoughts?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:06 am

Are you using the latest firmware and latest CPS ?

nf8c

Post by nf8c » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:18 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:06 am
To the best of my knowledge the CPS is up to date but it does not have a version number in the about window. When I look at the file properties it claims to be 1.0.0.0 I only recently downloaded it.

The firmware according to the RD-5R is April 11 2020 58185700 which was the latest I could find.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:02 am

nf8c wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:18 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:06 am
To the best of my knowledge the CPS is up to date but it does not have a version number in the about window. When I look at the file properties it claims to be 1.0.0.0 I only recently downloaded it.

The firmware according to the RD-5R is April 11 2020 58185700 which was the latest I could find.
Where did you find that firmware ? Has some else provided a link.

The latest firmware is at

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 7/releases

as described in the FAQ and other places

If you have loaded firmware which is nearly 2 months old it will have other problems, and you will need to follow the procedure I describe to someone a few days ago, about how to reset the calibration data cache, as it will be messed up at the moment, as there was a bug in the very old firmware you seem to be using

nf8c

Post by nf8c » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:03 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:02 am
Where did you find that firmware ? Has some else provided a link.

The latest firmware is at

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 7/releases

as described in the FAQ and other places

If you have loaded firmware which is nearly 2 months old it will have other problems, and you will need to follow the procedure I describe to someone a few days ago, about how to reset the calibration data cache, as it will be messed up at the moment, as there was a bug in the very old firmware you seem to be using
That's where I got the firmware. I must have accidentally grabbed an old release. Tired eyes? Fat fingers? Who knows how I managed that?

Thanks for your response! I saw your previous post and I will follow it after I get some good sleep!! I could only do more damage tonight. :lol:

73 NF8C

EDIT: Everything fixed!!!!!!! Then you come out with a new stable build hours later! LOL
Last edited by nf8c on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

W1CY

Post by W1CY » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:35 am

I had issues again trying to load the JUNE 27th version into my RD-5R.

CPS reads Build Date 06/17/2020.

I placed the RD-5R into firmware mode, then invoked the firmware update from within the CPS, selected RD-5R and clicked to update it from the internet. Nothing happened, no progress bar, nothing.

I then powered off the RD-5R, used the Windows process screen to kill the CPS (it was stuck and did not accept termination since it still had the impression a firmware was being upgraded), and tried it again.

This time I downloaded the firmware file to my disk, restarted CPS, and tried to load the firmware using the local copy. Same problem, nothing happened. I had then to terminate the CPS the same way.

This time I used the standalone firmware update application. I selected the download from the internet version. The firmware upgrade went very smooth, no issues at all.

I am not sure what is the issue when I try it via CPS.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:51 am

W1CY wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:35 am
I had issues again trying to load the JUNE 27th version into my RD-5R.

CPS reads Build Date 06/17/2020.

I placed the RD-5R into firmware mode, then invoked the firmware update from within the CPS, selected RD-5R and clicked to update it from the internet. Nothing happened, no progress bar, nothing.

I then powered off the RD-5R, used the Windows process screen to kill the CPS (it was stuck and did not accept termination since it still had the impression a firmware was being upgraded), and tried it again.

This time I downloaded the firmware file to my disk, restarted CPS, and tried to load the firmware using the local copy. Same problem, nothing happened. I had then to terminate the CPS the same way.

This time I used the standalone firmware update application. I selected the download from the internet version. The firmware upgrade went very smooth, no issues at all.

I am not sure what is the issue when I try it via CPS.
I think this is an issue with the CPS.

I'll put it on the priority fix. To Do List