Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

VK3KYY

Re: Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:26 am

IU1MCR wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:43 am
Yes. flickering with power > 1W
OK.

Perhaps this radio can't support dimmable backlight, because I didnt notice this problem with the official firmware

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:18 am

Hi Roger
Is there a link to the operating instructions for the buttons on the RD-5R radio using the Open RD-5R software.
Best regards,

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:37 am

SO5AJG wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:18 am
Hi Roger
Is there a link to the operating instructions for the buttons on the RD-5R radio using the Open RD-5R software.
Best regards,
No. ... Sorry.. I forgot to document this.

• The MR/VFO (Orange) button switches from the Channel to VFO mode.
  • The A/B is the Left arrow and the "Band" is the right button
  • The lower button on the left is the Blue / Function button (SK2), the button above the PTT is the "Black" button on the GD-77 (SK1)..
  • The radio does not have an Orange button, so at the moment the functions on the Orange button are not accessible
  • Because the radio does not have separate Orange button, this is now handled by Long Press on the MR/VFO button
I think everything else is the same.

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:17 pm

Thanks for the information. I have partly (intuitively) come to function of individual buttons. Another question whether to use CPS from Open GD77 to operate the code plug, because I have already introduced a DMR ID database recently used (365 days). Even the display's appearance is more readable and understandable than the factory display.
Thanks,
All the Best
Janusz

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:46 pm

SO5AJG wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:17 pm
Thanks for the information. I have partly (intuitively) come to function of individual buttons. Another question whether to use CPS from Open GD77 to operate the code plug, because I have already introduced a DMR ID database recently used (365 days). Even the display's appearance is more readable and understandable than the factory display.
Thanks,
All the Best
Janusz
Because the firmware is the same, you need to use the GD77 codeplug and can load the DMRID database like on the GD77

F6CYK

Post by F6CYK » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:29 pm

Hi, everybody! I continued my tests with the RD-5R and its new experimental firmware.
In DMR mode, I confirm the flickering of the keyboard backlight for powers > 1W.
This does not occur in analog mode, but the keypad backlight will dim.
In hotspot mode (Raspberry Pi 3B+ and Pi Star 4.10. RC8), the RD-5R switches back to Tx-Rx mode at the 3rd PTT of the distant Tx. I should point out that this is not an HF return as I initially thought: the RD-5R is in mini power (50 mW) and transmits on a dummy antenna. Moreover, the Raspberry power cable and the Raspberry / RD-5R link cable are equipped with ferrite sleeves. This does not occur with the GD-77 used under the same conditions.
With the GD-77 in hotspot mode and the RD-5R used in remote Tx-Rx, it is difficult to have a stable BER which does not occur when I use the MMDVM, stable at 1.3% with an offset of +950 Hz.
Hopefully these observations will be useful to the community.
Thanks to Roger for his attention and kindness.
73' from F6CYK (Tony - Etretat / Normandy)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:16 am

F6CYK wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:29 pm
Hi, everybody! I continued my tests with the RD-5R and its new experimental firmware.
In DMR mode, I confirm the flickering of the keyboard backlight for powers > 1W.
This does not occur in analog mode, but the keypad backlight will dim.
In hotspot mode (Raspberry Pi 3B+ and Pi Star 4.10. RC8), the RD-5R switches back to Tx-Rx mode at the 3rd PTT of the distant Tx. I should point out that this is not an HF return as I initially thought: the RD-5R is in mini power (50 mW) and transmits on a dummy antenna. Moreover, the Raspberry power cable and the Raspberry / RD-5R link cable are equipped with ferrite sleeves. This does not occur with the GD-77 used under the same conditions.
With the GD-77 in hotspot mode and the RD-5R used in remote Tx-Rx, it is difficult to have a stable BER which does not occur when I use the MMDVM, stable at 1.3% with an offset of +950 Hz.
Hopefully these observations will be useful to the community.
Thanks to Roger for his attention and kindness.
73' from F6CYK (Tony - Etretat / Normandy)
Thanks Tony

We should be able to correct the frequency offset when I receive some information from VK4JTW who is testing this at his work facility.

The firmware is identical for hotspot mode, so I think the radio is probably rebooting.

If you change the boot tune so that it takes a long time to play e.g. just use something like 30,200,30,200,30,200,30,200,0,0

Then watch the radio when it returns to Tx/Rx mode, and I think you will see the boot screen when it switches back to Tx/Rx mode.

If you don't see this, then perhaps the problem is RF induction into the RPi. The RD-5R / DM-5R does not generate such clean RF as the GD-77 or DM-1801 because it only had 1 PA section for VHF and UHF, but has a switchable final filter.
This results in many more spurious emissions than than the GD-77

chris01390

Post by chris01390 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:27 pm

Retour sur un autre beug problème de réception sur le mode DMR en fm tout marche bien.type d appareil baofeng dm5r

Back on another bug reception problem on DMR mode in fm everything works well. Type of device baofeng dm5r

mw1coe

Post by mw1coe » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:39 am

Kinda wished this worked for the Original DM5r which is Tier 2 but with the Single Timeslot Only known as the Plus model if only as a Hotspot as It's sitting around gathering Dust..

Works on my Hotspot but only as a Simplex Radio..

Maybe in the future..

Rob..

IU1MCR

Post by IU1MCR » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Hello all,
i re-post :
RD-5R
when in VFO -> NO Quick Menu
when in Channel -> Quick Menu is different (old version?) from QM of GD77
RD-5R: "Filter:CC, TS, TG / VFO--> New Chan / Tone scan N/A" etc
GD-77: "Filter:CC, TS, TG / Channel --> VFO / VFO --> Channel"

Both radio (GD77 & RD-5R): if you enter a TG manually the display shows a 1 pixel box (OK), but when receiving a signal and a talker is displayed (id or alias) the box disappears … It's normal ?
The box reappears only when the reception end.
Thanks
Eugenio
PS sorry for my english :D