Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

SO5AJG

Re: Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

Post by SO5AJG » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:06 am

I noticed that during the conversation my interlocutors confirm the disturbance in the context of my speech manifesting itself as a rattle like a helicopter engine or something similar. At the same time, I note that I do not use any external microphone-speaker as it often happens when using accessories from an analog device. During the conversation, this ruffle begins to diminish to much less heard

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:36 am

Possibly this may be the same problem that some people exprience on the GD-77 which may possibly be caused by the display brightness control.

You could try 100% and 10% or 0% brightness and see if this makes any difference.

Also, perhaps battery level or whether the radio is in the charger affects this.

I noticed that transmitting on FM with the radio in the charger creates a lot of hum and other nasty noises, so I would not recommend using the RD-5R / DM-5R in the charger

FYI.
I had a QSO with VK4JWT who was using a DM-5R Tier2, using the Open firmware and I did not hear any problems with his modulation

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Unfortunately, in some copies of the RD-5R appears the effect of "motorboat" as described on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y_mwgW ... e=youtu.be, both in analog and digital broadcast. It depends on what quality the equipment will go. On my radio, when I uploaded the old soft again, on digital broadcast this effect is quieter, while on FM it does not occur. I will try to filter the signal directly at the microphone output, maybe it will do something.

ea3fce

Post by ea3fce » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:59 pm

Tried the firmware in my RD5R the reception is correct. But the transmission cannot enter my hos-pot nor in the repeaters there are calibration problems

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 pm

ea3fce wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:59 pm
Tried the firmware in my RD5R the reception is correct. But the transmission cannot enter my hos-pot nor in the repeaters there are calibration problems
I think perhaps the calibration data memory location that EW1ADG chose is not the correct one.

I checked my radio and there are 2 copies of the calibration data in the flash memory.

I think both copies are identical in my radio, but they may not be identical in everyone’s radio. Or perhaps the RD-5R calibration is different to the DM-5R calibration

I will PM the people who responded to this post and have working radios, and ask them to backup their Flash Memory and send it to me, so I can compare the calibration

ea3fce

Post by ea3fce » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:06 am

For VK3KYY Thanks for your answer, I also wanted to comment that after having seen the functions of this firmware, I see that it really is an adaptation of the GD77, when really the RD5R already has direct buttons for many functions, in my modest opinion it would be about improve and not lose any of these buttons would have to be a firmware specifically designed for this model not an adaptation of the GD77 that is totally different, it is just my modest opinion Thank you

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:59 am

This will only ever be an adaptation of the GD-77 functionality.

One possible change could be to use SK1 + Up = Left and SK 1 + Down = Right arrow, but because the "Band" button serves no purpose in the OpenGD77, this would leave one button doing nothing, unless its reassigned as the "Orange" button

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:51 am

Updated version, with fix for the incorrect Quick menu function on the Channel screen, showing the VFO Quick menu, and adding the Quick menu to the VFO screen

This is currently accessed by a Long Press on the MR/VFO key

Note.

This version all other recent updates, including Daniels update for FM mic gain, and the Rx Group list filtering etc.
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:57 am

IU1MCR wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:57 pm
Hi Roger
RD-5R:
tnx for the correction on squelch.
another bug - when in VFO -> NO Quick Menu & when in Channel -> Quick Menu is different (old version?) from QM of GD77
RD-5R: "Filter:CC, TS, TG / VFO--> New Chan / Tone scan N/A" etc
GD-77: "Filter:CC, TS, TG / Channel --> VFO / VFO --> Channel"
Buona giornata
Eugenio
This is fixed now

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:59 am

F6CYK wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:05 am
Hello everyone!
A big thank you to Roger VK3KYY and to Dzmitry EW1AD for this really fine job and for these unexpected Easter eggs in this period of confinement.
So I tested the experimental version of OpenGD77 for the Baofeng RD-5R (Tier 2 version).
I installed it without any problems and I did not notice any really annoying display problems during my first tests with the exception of the problem reported by IU1MCR.
Like DO1HSP I noted a significant shift in the transmission frequency of around 900 Hz above the programmed frequency, which is annoying with the MMDVM used with other equipment.
In addition, in hotspot mode, the RD-5R picks up upon receipt of a local transmission to switch to transceiver mode.
Thank you again for the work done!
73 'fm F6CYK / Pierre-Antoine "Tony".
I have not confirmed this 100%, but I think there may be a frequency shift on RD-5R radios but not DM-5R.

There may be some difference in the calibration and official firmware between the DM-5R and the RD-5R