Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

W2RAU

Re: Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

Post by W2RAU » Sat May 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks for the MMDVM hotspot fix. RD-5R now works fine on both of my hotspots without changing the offset and a BER rate of .3.

AE7GQ

Post by AE7GQ » Sun May 10, 2020 6:47 am

Hi Roger,

I updated my RD5R with the updated firmware. Big improvement on my RD-5R. The Duplex Pi-Star was able to receive the signal from the RD 5R. The BER on my second transmission was 0.1% the same as my GD77.

I have taken it out of the box and will check it out more tomorrow.

Thanks for the update.

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Mon May 11, 2020 7:01 pm

Roger, have there been any changes recently in the functioning of the hotspot option on the RD-5R, because as I wrote earlier (and others) after 30s to 60s it switched automatically to radio operation. Recently, I have not followed this topic, and no one has touched it. Has the topic been postponed for now? Recently, after many changes in the firmware, I decided to check, but the problem persisted.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon May 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi,
SO5AJG wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:01 pm
Roger, have there been any changes recently in the functioning of the hotspot option on the RD-5R, because as I wrote earlier (and others) after 30s to 60s it switched automatically to radio operation. Recently, I have not followed this topic, and no one has touched it. Has the topic been postponed for now? Recently, after many changes in the firmware, I decided to check, but the problem persisted.
99% of the time when the hotspot exit is due to RF passing through the USB, hence the RPi resets the USB, and in the end the MMDVMHost connection is lost.

What power setting are you using in hotspot mode ? Do you use an external antenna ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Mon May 11, 2020 8:32 pm

The hotspot is powered from the powerbank and the external antenna is located about 2m away. Why nothing like this happens on the GD-77 with the same power and antenna conditions.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon May 11, 2020 8:40 pm

SO5AJG wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:32 pm
The hotspot is powered from the powerbank and the external antenna is located about 2m away. Why nothing like this happens on the GD-77 with the same power and antenna conditions.
I mean output power, not power source ;-)
It's not a secret that the RD-5R is a low quality/engineered transceiver. Also, I don't know about the programming cable of the RD-5R, but the ones shipped with the GD-77* and DM-1801 are really low quality, unshielded and so on.

Did you tried to put some ferrite beads to the programming cable, it might help a bit.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Mon May 11, 2020 9:06 pm

Power set to 50mW, I tried the cable in a shielded metal box. I can try with ferrite beads. I am surprised by the situation when trying on Echo, the signal is sent, but when the answer is received permanently on the dashboard, the information Tx is displayed and does not die and then the hotspot goes to radio operation, only turning off the power of the pi-star restores the hotspot. As soon as a new connection arrives, the hotspot switches off and switches to radio operation.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 pm

SO5AJG wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:06 pm
Power set to 50mW, I tried the cable in a shielded metal box. I can try with ferrite beads. I am surprised by the situation when trying on Echo, the signal is sent, but when the answer is received permanently on the dashboard, the information Tx is displayed and does not die and then the hotspot goes to radio operation, only turning off the power of the pi-star restores the hotspot. As soon as a new connection arrives, the hotspot switches off and switches to radio operation.
Are you using the latest firmware development build ?

Also, once the hotspot exit, can you ssh to your hotspot and copy here the result of the 'dmesg' command ?
dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.txt
Zip and post the dmesg.txt file.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Tue May 12, 2020 10:02 am

Attached is dmesg.zip file. It seems to me that the reason for breaking the hotspot cannot be its own carrier, because as soon as I turn on another radio and press PTT nothing bad happens, the carrier does not overlap the USB cable, but only the incoming connection blocks hotspot and switches to radio
Attachments
dmesg.zip
(6.78 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue May 12, 2020 10:09 am

Hi,
SO5AJG wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:02 am
Attached is dmesg.zip file. It seems to me that the reason for breaking the hotspot cannot be its own carrier, because as soon as I turn on another radio and press PTT nothing bad happens, the carrier does not overlap the USB cable, but only the incoming connection blocks hotspot and switches to radio
Thanks for the file.
There is nothing interesting in it, regarding your problem.

So, next step: once the problem occurs, in your Pi-Star, go to "Admin" -> "Live Logs", and at the bottom of the window you will see "Download the log: here", click on the "here" word and post the zip file you will get.

Cheers.
---
Daniel