Highly experimental GD-77S HOTSPOT ONLY version

VK3KYY

Highly experimental GD-77S HOTSPOT ONLY version

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:02 am

In case anyone has a GD-77S that they are not using, and fancy using it only as a hotspot.

I've tried to create a version of the OpenGD77 which will run on the GD-77S and is set to operate by default as a PiStar (MMDVM) compatible hotspot.

Note. This version is untested and highly experimental, and you use it at your own risk and are likely to need to reflash the official firmware if the upload completes, but the radio does nothing when you turn it on.

I am not able to test the encrypted SGL firmware file, because I don't own a GD-77S.

I have tested the unencrypted binary file on my GD-77, and it does what I expect it to do, and does not turn on the screen etc, and does operate as a hotspot.

I even tried reflashing the bootloader in my GD-77 with a bootloader that was supposed to come from a GD-77S, but it looks like the bootloader that I was sent, was in fact a version of the normal GD-77 bootloader, and the official firmware loader for the GD-77S, reports an error as soon as it tries to connect to my GD-77.

I think if the firmware installs on a GD-77S it would work , and do what its supposed to, but it may not upload at all, because of some other problems wit the file header which I have no way of debugging.

There is no point in me wasting money on a GD-77S, as I already have 5 normal GD-77 radios, and can use any of them as a hotspot if I want to, and I also have a Baofeng DM-1801 which also works fine in hotspot mode.
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

EB3AM

Re: Highly experimental GD-77S HOTSPOT ONLY version

Post by EB3AM » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 pm

my 77s is now in hong kong... waiting... like a 1801 buyed together :?

OH0KCE

Re: Highly experimental GD-77S HOTSPOT ONLY version

Post by OH0KCE » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi !
Wow ! Now there is only GD55 plus and AnyTone 868/878 still to modify, then are 80% of market handheld converted to Open_Soft :D :D