VK3KYY

Re: Update 6th March Version 2

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:39 pm

KU4ZD wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:12 pm
Thank you, I have not seen it yet but will be watching for it. Thank
In case the email got blocked as spam.

Here is a zipped version of your calibration file which I've fixed

You can restore this, and it should fix the problem.

Note.

Your Reference Oscillator value of 1000 seems suspicious , as 1000 means your radio is perfect and needs no calibration to its freq at all, on either band.

I suspect this is wrong, and your radio freq probably needs to be calibrated against an accurate frequency counter
Attachments
KU4ZD_calibration.zip
(361 Bytes) Downloaded 161 times

OH7FES

Post by OH7FES » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:29 am

OH7FES wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:32 am
W1AEX wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:20 pm
Hi Roger,

I installed the 3_6_2020 firmware release with the new CPS into one of my GD-77 radios and it went in fine. Before this version, I could hear a very soft digital noise in the background during the playback when doing a Parrot check. I don't hear a trace of that with this version so perhaps it's related to the change in the PWM frequency utilized by the backlight?

Thanks for the update, it's working fine here!
73, Rob W1AEX
Hello

I have had a new GD77 for a week now. I installed the newest openGD77 firmware and CPS program. Everything fine.

I had this problem already with the old firmware, digital noise during TX. I have been testing with Parrot with plain carrier, it is easy to notice with Parrot.

My own notices: Screen brightness is the main thing. If it is 100%, digital noise is heard. Noise disappears when I set it to less than 10%.

Noise goes up as the brightness % goes up.

There is no background noise when Mode: None in Display options (no light on the display).

The noise is detectable in the VU meter bar in the top left of the display when I press PTT = TX. The greater the disdplay brightness, the greater the background noise and the higher the VU bar. Of course the VU meter background noise disappears when display options Mode:None.
Mic gain has something to do with the noise too. Sound options, DMR mic:0dB
Mic gain 12dB: background noise is higher.
mic gain -18dB: background noise disappears, even though display brightness is 20%.
Background noise is seen in VU meter when you change DMR mic setting when there is light on display. The greater mic gain, the higher the background noise.

Best wishes, 73,
OH7FES Ari
GM
I also noticed that FM TX carrier has a weak humming, different than on DMR, when brightness is 60% or more and is loudest when it is 100%.
When backlight is off or brightness is 50% or lower, FM carrier is clear.
OH7FES Ari

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:51 am

OH7FES wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:29 am
GM
I also noticed that FM TX carrier has a weak humming, different than on DMR, when brightness is 60% or more and is loudest when it is 100%.
When backlight is off or brightness is 50% or lower, FM carrier is clear.
OH7FES Ari
I just rebuilt a test version with no PWM and I still get some noise on FM.

Varying the display intensity makes no difference to the slight FM noise on my radio.

KU4ZD

Post by KU4ZD » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Thank you, I got everything working again. I did have to adjust the Reference Oscillator value get things working. It is like once the error was fixed in the file everything changed as if the calibration was not working correctly before. I am on the latest CPS and firmware now. My calibration is close but still needs some fine tuning. Thank you
VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:39 pm
KU4ZD wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:12 pm
Thank you, I have not seen it yet but will be watching for it. Thank
In case the email got blocked as spam.

Here is a zipped version of your calibration file which I've fixed

You can restore this, and it should fix the problem.

Note.

Your Reference Oscillator value of 1000 seems suspicious , as 1000 means your radio is perfect and needs no calibration to its freq at all, on either band.

I suspect this is wrong, and your radio freq probably needs to be calibrated against an accurate frequency counter

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:16 pm

KU4ZD wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:19 pm
Thank you, I got everything working again. I did have to adjust the Reference Oscillator value get things working. It is like once the error was fixed in the file everything changed as if the calibration was not working correctly before. I am on the latest CPS and firmware now. My calibration is close but still needs some fine tuning. Thank you
Hi Mike

No worries.

As soon as I realized that the problem was corrupt calibration, it struck me that a lot of your other problems were probably also caused because of invalid calibration data.

OH7FES

Post by OH7FES » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:28 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:44 pm
I think your radio has a hardware fault, but I will need to change the the firmware so that PWM is only used if users select dimming.
is this change already done?
OH7FES Ari

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:42 am

OH7FES wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:28 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:44 pm
I think your radio has a hardware fault, but I will need to change the the firmware so that PWM is only used if users select dimming.
is this change already done?
OH7FES Ari
No

Not yet.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:43 am

BTW.

There is a calibration setting which controls the output gain from the audio DAC

Do you need to have your volume control very high to hear the audio. If so it may be a calibration problem which is causing this

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:49 am

KU4ZD wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:02 am
I tried up update, I downloaded the updated CPS and this firmware. After updating the firmware I have a message on my screen that says '`Flash Mem Error" with the radio on or off and I can not load anything or get rid of the error message nor do anything at this point? any ideas?
Today I updated an HS of a colleage via remote desktop, and after the flash I also received the message "Flash Mem Error".
This is a first generation walkie, probably with an early version of the factory firmware.
Now he sends me the device by post, and once I receive it I would try to retrieve it.

I read what needs to be done in the following posts. I have already programmed 6 and this is the first one that I fail

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:57 am

EB3AM wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:49 am
KU4ZD wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:02 am
I tried up update, I downloaded the updated CPS and this firmware. After updating the firmware I have a message on my screen that says '`Flash Mem Error" with the radio on or off and I can not load anything or get rid of the error message nor do anything at this point? any ideas?
Today I updated an HS of a colleage via remote desktop, and after the flash I also received the message "Flash Mem Error".
This is a first generation walkie, probably with an early version of the factory firmware.
Now he sends me the device by post, and once I receive it I would try to retrieve it.

I read what needs to be done in the following posts. I have already programmed 6 and this is the first one that I fail
VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:14 am
Mike

I'll email you directly with a custom SGL file, once I've worked out a way to write some debug messages via USB.

We already have a system to do this, but not one that would work when the radio is booting up, which is when the problem occurs
Surely I too will have to go the same way ...
So I get the device, see if I can solve the issue.