Update 1st March

VK3KYY

Update 1st March

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:15 am

Because people were getting confused between the Stable, Latest and the experimental versions, I've decided to update the Stable version to the code version just prior to the experimental version.

Users who last installed the previous Latest version, should upgrade to the new Stable version

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... stable.sgl

Changes to this Stable version since the last official / Latest release are
  • Change to the way the CC filter disable system works (thanks for Colin and me)
    When the CC filter is disabled, the radio now analyses the received signal and sets the CC to the CC of the signal.
    Note.
    Depending on how weak or noisy or strong the signal is, this process can take several seconds, but happens within half a second.
  • Fixes for Catalan and Finnish language versions, Thanks to various contributor including Riku.
  • Fix to beep volume bug, reported by KV0A
  • Addition of FM filter option to disable RxCTSS. Thanks to KC7RBW
  • Fix for audio amplifier hiss thanks to EA3IHI

There are also a number of experimental versions on the go at the moment, which are getting difficult for me to manage, and also consuming a lot of my web server space, so I've updated the Latest version, with most recent experimental build.

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... latest.sgl

The Latest version includes these additional changes
  • DMR Tx Permit beep
    Note. This beep actually just means that the radio has entered the main phase of the DMR transmission. But when using a repeater which is not currently awake, this has the effect of playing a beep once the repeater has woken up and you can start talking.

Its unclear whether it is technically possible to ping a repeater which is already transmitting to ensure its actually hearing your signal, and from what I have been told even commercial radios like the Motorola don't do this
Scan mode 'nuisance' channel or frequency key is now the RIGHT arrow (instead of the Down Arrow)[/list]
  • Scan mode direction can be reversed on both the VFO and Channel screens, by pressing the LEFT arrow.
    Note.
    Scans will always start going upwards.
    If you then press the LEFT arrow the scan will start going downwards (in frequency or channel number)
    If you press the LEFT button again (while scanning downwards) the scan direction will be reversed and the scan will start going up again
  • Bug fix to the VFO scan, so that if the current VFO Rx frequency is not between the lower and upper scan frequencies, the Rx frequency is changd to the scan lower frequency and then the scan is commenced.
I've also reworked a lot of the scanning code to remove the large amount of duplication between the Channel and VFO scanning code.
Hopefully I have not broken anything in the process.

I think the VFO scan User Interface / functionality needs a major overhaul and we probably need a dedicated mode screen or mode for the VFO Scan, so that the start and end frequencies are accessible, and are displayed.

However because the display is very small, this is going to be a challenge.

Note to developers

There is experimental support for the Baofeng DM-1801 in the github repo, via a separate build configuation.
However virtually nothing works yet, and also I think my choice to use the build Configuration system to build for the different radios was probably the wrong method, as the Make system always seems to do a Clean build rather than a Make even for the most simple change.
I will probably need to experiment with the Build Targets system in MCUExpresso.

I'm probably also going to add experimental support for the GD-77S only for Hotspot mode

But I will need to fix the Build Target system first.

F1RMB

Re: Update 1st March

Post by F1RMB » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:24 am

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the release.

About the MCUXpression rebuild problem, just to this for all build configurations:

"Project" -> "Properties" -> "C/C++ Build" then select "Refresh Policy"
Click on "Add Ressource...", then validate the checkbox next to "firmware"

Screenshot at 2020-03-01 06-23-05.png
Screenshot at 2020-03-01 06-23-05.png (18.95 KiB) Viewed 4954 times

Apply and close.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:38 am

Hi Daniel

OK.

Thanks. I'll try that

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:20 am

thank you, left and right now work as described, i must try to stop pressing the down arrow to skip lol

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:30 am

KC7RBW spotted a bug (which I also just noticed) with the Tx freq in the VFO, if it is not the same as the Rx freq at the start of the scan and the Rx frequency is not inside the current scan range for the VFO.

I've now fixed this here

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... latest.sgl

KC7RBW also pointed out that the initial scan freqs are set to the UK band edges, rather than the USA band edges which are wider.

But I don't think its worth changing this, because there is no way for the operator to know what the scan range is, and I'll need to change the UI of this function to make it easier to use.

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:55 am

just an observation, scanning in channel mode, pushing left/right/up produces a 'bleep', however, in vfo mode, no bleep is heard.
is this intentional?.
it isn't really an issue, i don't want to cause you more work :mrgreen:

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:59 am

m1dyp wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:55 am
just an observation, scanning in channel mode, pushing left/right/up produces a 'bleep', however, in vfo mode, no bleep is heard.
is this intentional?.
it isn't really an issue, i don't want to cause you more work :mrgreen:
Its not intentional.

All button presses are supposed to beep. I'll need to investigate whats going on.

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:04 am

don't overdo it. it really isn't a problem

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:46 am

m1dyp wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:04 am
don't overdo it. it really isn't a problem
Its OK. I don't like unexplained things a happening.

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Thank you Roger! I installed the "stable" version into both of my GD77 radios and both are behaving nicely. When I get my chores done today I'll install the experimental into one of the radios and play around with that.

Thanks for all the features and for all the time you are investing in the organization of the entire project. There is so much additional work you are doing in the background that many of us are unaware of. Thanks for everything.

73, Rob W1AEX