Experimental version with option to disable CC filtering

EB3AM

Re: Experimental version with option to disable CC filtering

Post by EB3AM » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:12 am

After a day of listening with the CC open I did not hear any difference with the other walkie with CC 1. Of course, I can hear nothing but the local DMO and my hat.

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:06 am

I suppose I should clarify a bit. Using my hotspot, I hear a small amount of noise at the ends if filtering is off, annoying but tolerable-ish. But when switching between the various filters while a station is talking, it gets a lovely high pitched screech that's constant until I turn the radio off and on again. So I'll go from the filter off to talkgroup filtering, and then sometimes the screech begins. I hear it with my repeater as well when switching like this as a station is active. It seems random when it happens. But I reproduced it a few times.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 am

I know this feature has significant issues.

However people do not need to enable it if they don't want to.

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am

Very useful addition Roger.

As you say, many people may never want or need to use this feature, but it’s very useful for the ones of us that do.

The new version dated 23 Feb is working well for me.

Thanks

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:30 am

G0NHF wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am
Very useful addition Roger.

As you say, many people may never want or need to use this feature, but it’s very useful for the ones of us that do.

The new version dated 23 Feb is working well for me.

Thanks
No worries

I hope to improve this before the next "latest" release, but I may have to put it in, worts and all ;-) as its better than nothing if you don't know what CC is being used by a transmission, and would be very handy when scanning using the VFO.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:07 am

Here is another experimental version, with changes from both Colin G4EML and I

This version sets the CC to the detected CC, because the DMR chip does not seem to decode the Talker Alias if CC set into the DMR chip is not the CC of the received signal.

I found that Colin's version was prone to leaving the CC on a different CC to the received signal, because at the end of transmissions there appears to be digital noise which is interpreted as a signal on a different CC.

This is especially bad on hotspots, but I also observed it even on my local repeater, which is a Motorola DR3000.
I think in the case of my local repeater, QSB probably caused the CC to be set incorrectly.

The version in this firmware, uses my algorithm which uses the most prevalent CC code.

My algorithm generates an internal histogram if the received CC ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histogram ), and then uses the CC with the highest peak in the graph.

The histogram is only reset when the frequency is changes, which seems to result in a better "lock" onto the correct CC even on hotspots.

However, my algorithm can initially lock onto the wrong CC, for about 1 second, especially on hotspots, where I've noticed the beginning of the transmission can also include incorrect CC.

Anyway. Give this version a try and see if its better or worse.

PS. This version also includes 3 other PR's, from various contributors (who I will fully credit when I release the next "Latest" version)

1. Filter: option on FM allows the Rx CTCSS to be disabled, regardless of the CTCSS setting in the Channel or VFO
2. Improved handling of the audio amplifier enable and disable control, to hopefully remove the possibility of the amplifier being left enabled when there is no signal and no beep etc
3. Finnish language update
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Ik0nwg

Post by Ik0nwg » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:04 pm

great update !!!! now he also tells you the CC number .... thanks Roger to you and all the members of the group
Sal

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:42 pm

thank you

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:48 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:07 am
Here is another experimental version, with changes from both Colin G4EML and I

This version sets the CC to the detected CC, because the DMR chip does not seem to decode the Talker Alias if CC set into the DMR chip is not the CC of the received signal.

I found that Colin's version was prone to leaving the CC on a different CC to the received signal, because at the end of transmissions there appears to be digital noise which is interpreted as a signal on a different CC.

This is especially bad on hotspots, but I also observed it even on my local repeater, which is a Motorola DR3000.
I think in the case of my local repeater, QSB probably caused the CC to be set incorrectly.

The version in this firmware, uses my algorithm which uses the most prevalent CC code.

My algorithm generates an internal histogram if the received CC ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histogram ), and then uses the CC with the highest peak in the graph.

The histogram is only reset when the frequency is changes, which seems to result in a better "lock" onto the correct CC even on hotspots.

However, my algorithm can initially lock onto the wrong CC, for about 1 second, especially on hotspots, where I've noticed the beginning of the transmission can also include incorrect CC.

Anyway. Give this version a try and see if its better or worse.

PS. This version also includes 3 other PR's, from various contributors (who I will fully credit when I release the next "Latest" version)

1. Filter: option on FM allows the Rx CTCSS to be disabled, regardless of the CTCSS setting in the Channel or VFO
2. Improved handling of the audio amplifier enable and disable control, to hopefully remove the possibility of the amplifier being left enabled when there is no signal and no beep etc
3. Finnish language update
This one does the trick for the CC noise. Wonderful implementation of code I would say!

As for the FM CTCSS filter, it doesn't seem to work. Regardless of its setting in the Quick Menu, it's not disabling the RX CTCSS setting.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 pm

I will retest the CTCSS filter.

I did not write the code it was sent as a PR via github.