Experimental version with option to disable CC filtering

VK3KYY

Re: Experimental version with option to disable CC filtering

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:12 pm

I've retested and disabling the RxCTCSS does seem to work.

However. On one occasion it looked like the perhaps he CTCSS remained disabled when I expected it to have been enabled again.

I'll take a look at the code to see if there is a series of events which could cause this.

BTW. I generally don't have Rx CTCSS applied to most of the FM repeater channels even if the repeater transmits a CTCSS, because I normally just reply on squelch to hold off the speaker hiss etc

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:22 am

NA7Q wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:48 pm
As for the FM CTCSS filter, it doesn't seem to work. Regardless of its setting in the Quick Menu, it's not disabling the RX CTCSS setting.
Hello. I wrote this patch and am eager to fix it if it's not working.

When you say that it's not disabling the RX CTCSS setting you mean that you a signal that's strong enough but has the wrong tone doesn't open the squelch?

Anything else you can tell us about the conditions where it's not working? I can't seem to get the radio into a state where this doesn't work.

With Filter: None a signal with the right tone and a signal without the right tone both open the squelch.
With Filter: CTCSS and a configured Rx CTCSS setting a signal with the right tone opens the squelch and a signal without does not (but the green LED is lit).

I made sure to bump the nonVolatileSettings magic number so that the radio should have done a factory reset after upgrading.

Or do you mean that the Rx CTCSS is still configured for the Channel / VFO? If so that's expected. The Channel or VFO will still have the setting but the radio ignores it when Filter: None is set for Analog (just as a CC or TS might be configured but ignored with those filters disabled on DMR).

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:35 am

KC7RBW wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:22 am
NA7Q wrote:
As for the FM CTCSS filter, it doesn't seem to work. Regardless of its setting in the Quick Menu, it's not disabling the RX CTCSS setting.
I can't seem to get the radio into a state where this doesn't work.
I also tried it with your v1.43.20 to be sure. Seems to work there too.

There's a thread about this feature at https://opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=669 if we want to keep this thread focused on CC filtering.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:04 am

KC7RBW wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:22 am
NA7Q wrote:
It definitely seems to disable it for me on both the VFO and the Channel screens.

I thought potentially I had the opposite problem, where I re-enabled the filter, but it did not get re-enabled on a channel that had a Rx CTCSS setting.

But it could have been user error on my behalf.

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:07 am

Okay. So I figured out the issue. I find it quite interesting.

Set the GD77 to RX a tone of 67. Use another radio and transmit on 67.0, you hear the transmitting audio on the GD77, right?
Now set the transmitting radio on 69.3. Now you shouldn't hear the transmitting station on the GD77, right? Well... You do, or at least I do on mine.

Basically what I observe, is no matter what tone you set on receive, it will receive the tone setting 1 below and 1 above what is set. I tested using 2 Baofeng's and 1 Yaesu HT.
The Baofeng will make the GD77 receive 1 up and below every time. The Yaesu sometimes takes a second or two for the GD77 to open the squelch on the first transmission for tone decoding. Signal purity issue perhaps of why the delay I see when on the Yaesu?
So given the tones are more than 1 step in the either direction, the Filter works as it should. I only tested and listened to stations that were 1 tone off, and this explains why I thought there was an issue with the PR code.

While I was toying with this, I did observe 2 minor bugs in the VFO mode where the transmitting tone isn't active on the first transmit, but is on the second transmit or after re-confirming the setting. It was early this morning when I did it, so I can't remember what I did to cause it, but will try to figure that out.

Also when in VFO mode, if an Analog channel is set at 25khz, and you use the Star shortcut key to switch to DMR, but then back to Analog, it displays as "FMN". When you transmit, it's as it should be, and the text resets back to "FM".

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:20 am

NA7Q wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:07 am
Okay. So I figured out the issue. I find it quite interesting.

Set the GD77 to RX a tone of 67. Use another radio and transmit on 67.0, you hear the transmitting audio on the GD77, right?
Now set the transmitting radio on 69.3. Now you shouldn't hear the transmitting station on the GD77, right? Well... You do, or at least I do on mine.

Basically what I observe, is no matter what tone you set on receive, it will receive the tone setting 1 below and 1 above what is set. I tested using 2 Baofeng's and 1 Yaesu HT.
The Baofeng will make the GD77 receive 1 up and below every time. The Yaesu sometimes takes a second or two for the GD77 to open the squelch on the first transmission for tone decoding. Signal purity issue perhaps of why the delay I see when on the Yaesu?
So given the tones are more than 1 step in the either direction, the Filter works as it should. I only tested and listened to stations that were 1 tone off, and this explains why I thought there was an issue with the PR code.

While I was toying with this, I did observe 2 minor bugs in the VFO mode where the transmitting tone isn't active on the first transmit, but is on the second transmit or after re-confirming the setting. It was early this morning when I did it, so I can't remember what I did to cause it, but will try to figure that out.

Also when in VFO mode, if an Analog channel is set at 25khz, and you use the Star shortcut key to switch to DMR, but then back to Analog, it displays as "FMN". When you transmit, it's as it should be, and the text resets back to "FM".
The problem with adjacent tones also being detected is a known problem with the AT-1846S. The same problem applies when doing a tone scan, as it sometimes gets finds the wrong tone value.

Re: FMN

It looks like there are multiple bugs on the VFO screen, where its using the wrong data, the mistake is caused by cutting and pasting text from the channel screen functionality into the VFO screen

I think the same problem in the VFO may be causing the CTCSS bug as well

I'll fix it later.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:25 am

I've now done a local fix and I'm testing it

I think he Tx CTCSS problem must be a different bug, as I only found one occurrence of using the incorrect variable on the VFO screen which causes the FMN bug.

BTW. This version contains 2 other unrelated fixes which I'm also still testing.
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:51 am

interesting.........the green rx light remains on, on a dmr channel with no signal

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:23 am

m1dyp wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:51 am
interesting.........the green rx light remains on, on a dmr channel with no signal
Yes. Interesting

I'm trying to fix a bug reported to me by VK4APF who runs his hotspot in DMR and YSF modes, and the OpenGD77 was not showing the green LED on DMR when the hotspot was transmitting a YSF signal.

Also the RSSI screen was not showing any signal level at all, unless the radio was receiving a DMR signal, This was basically the same problem, as the RSSI sampling on DMR needs to be synchronised with the incoming signal, so that it works on Simplex.
Hence previously, if there was no signal on DMR the RSSI screen was not getting any RSSI data.

So I've changed the Green LED and the RSSI meter to use the same system as if its a FM channel, by using the squelch level defined for the Channel (or VFO)

So this would mean that if you switched to FM, that whatever is on that DMR channel is opening the FM squelch.

If you switch to FM mode and close the squelch , the LED should go out

I can't see another good way to do this, apart from to use some arbitrary value as the minimum signal level, but that doesn't seem like a good idea, as everyone has a different amount of background signal level.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:55 am

Trying out this experimental version. I see the RSSI bar moving even when in digital mode. Is this by design?