Update 21st Feb

kd2lh

Re: Update 21st Feb

Post by kd2lh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 am

So far, it's been running about 5 hours with plenty of usage and no problems.

I'll test for the next few days, and if we can confirm this solved the issue, I suggest we make recommendations in documentation and manuals for adding a ferrite to prevent RFI and use of a metal enclosure for the computer.

This was failing on my RPI 4b which effectively had a metal enclosure thanks to a thick metal heat dissipation case, so the Ferrite filter might be needed in any case.

Note that I've been running the hotspot at 1 watt.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:56 am

kd2lh wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 am
So far, it's been running about 5 hours with plenty of usage and no problems.

I'll test for the next few days, and if we can confirm this solved the issue, I suggest we make recommendations in documentation and manuals for adding a ferrite to prevent RFI and use of a metal enclosure for the computer.

This was failing on my RPI 4b which effectively had a metal enclosure thanks to a thick metal heat dissipation case, so the Ferrite filter might be needed in any case.

Note that I've been running the hotspot at 1 watt.
You may have already answered this question, but ..

Are you using the antenna on the top of the radio or connecting to an external antenna?

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:06 am

I noticed this problem when I had the original antenna connected to the walkie directly. It has never happened to me with an outdoor antenna. And I also noticed that it is more unstable in UHF than in VHF.
It is definitely an RF issue. The programming cables are not shielded. One would have to make a good one. The Raspberry should be in a metal case. and the radio should also be shielded. And done, remove the battery and charger and put in a power supply.

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:57 am

I am using the radio with the antenna that ships with it mounted on the radio, not a remote antenna.

Marc

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:30 am

kd2lh wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:57 am
I am using the radio with the antenna that ships with it mounted on the radio, not a remote antenna.

Marc
OK.

That explains why you have so much RF around the radio to cause problems.