Update 9th Feb

F6GVE

Re: Update 9th Feb

Post by F6GVE » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:44 pm

The "auto" option is fantastic, the best way to use these 2 lines!
To my taste, the display has became wonderful and is perfect.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:41 pm

Not sure if I remember incorrectly, or if it's just me. Previously (or maybe before the contact lookup optimizations), the radio would pull database info and then still display TA data after. Now, if there ID is in the database, there's no longer the TA display. Also, if I choose TA first, then the radio no longer displays the information from the database. I noticed that some BM accounts only specify their name on TA (maybe from APRS in selfcare?), so callsign does not appear.

I'll have to confirm, though. I was listening in at TG91 last night and saw some users whose names (but not callsigns) appear.

Is this by design, though? That the radio stops at displaying the TA (and not database) when that is selected as priority?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:47 pm

4I1RAC wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:41 pm
Not sure if I remember incorrectly, or if it's just me. Previously (or maybe before the contact lookup optimizations), the radio would pull database info and then still display TA data after. Now, if there ID is in the database, there's no longer the TA display. Also, if I choose TA first, then the radio no longer displays the information from the database. I noticed that some BM accounts only specify their name on TA (maybe from APRS in selfcare?), so callsign does not appear.

I'll have to confirm, though. I was listening in at TG91 last night and saw some users whose names (but not callsigns) appear.

Is this by design, though? That the radio stops at displaying the TA (and not database) when that is selected as priority?
You can change it to TA first, e.g. TA/Cc/Db or TA/Db/Cc

However I've not double checked those options are doing what I expect them to do.

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:57 pm

Just installed and now testing. Thanks for the update.
Marc

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:02 am

Running smoothly on both of my radios. Nice to have the display options to control the display lines. I've been running Auto and it seems to work fine.

73, Rob W1AEX

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:37 am

Hi Angelo,
4I1RAC wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:41 pm

If you choose TA/xx/xx, and Talker Alias data will be displayed as it's higher priority in your selected option.
About the thing you noticed with users only specifying their name in TA, that's probably the case (I saw a lot of stations like this), plus, it has been decided to not print default's BM talker alias anymore, the famous 'DMR ID: xxxxxxx', as it's completely useless. So, only the text before this one is now displayed (callsign only, most of the time).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:15 am

Just to concur with Daniel.

The data that is sent by BM via TA seems to not be consistent, but I've not found an documentation about exactly what is sent in the TA.

I contacted my local BM admin about this, but he said he didn't know anything about how the TA was generated, as it was the responsibility of the central admins.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:28 pm

OK, noted on that. I seem to recall that previously, if the user's DMR ID and callsign are stored on the database, the firmware would display the database info on the first line, and then talker alias info on the second line.

Now, if TA is indicated as priority (e.g., TA/DB/CC), once the radio gets the info from TA, then it stops there.

All good with me, just that some stations do have their TA specified as just names, which can be confusing during QSOs (e.g., if you don't have their callsigns memorized).
F1RMB wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:37 am
Hi Angelo,

If you choose TA/xx/xx, and Talker Alias data will be displayed as it's higher priority in your selected option.
About the thing you noticed with users only specifying their name in TA, that's probably the case (I saw a lot of stations like this), plus, it has been decided to not print default's BM talker alias anymore, the famous 'DMR ID: xxxxxxx', as it's completely useless. So, only the text before this one is now displayed (callsign only, most of the time).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:43 pm

4I1RAC wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:28 pm
... just that some stations do have their TA specified as just names, which can be confusing during QSOs (e.g., if you don't have their callsigns memorized).
As far as I know, Talker Alias coming from BrandMeister always contains callsign. That is mandatory and can't be changed. Only APRS Text, under Self Care, can be and is encouraged to be changed from default DMR ID: XXXXXXX to name, or something meaningful.

SP2ONG

Post by SP2ONG » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Roger

You can see what BM AU Master server send via TA

https://brandmeister.network/?iframe=1& ... aster=5051