Test version: new channel scan

ea3ihi

Test version: new channel scan

Post by ea3ihi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:46 pm

I am reviewing the channel memory scan function and have a new version for testing. I am not sure it is fine to post here, but i would like to have some feedback from heavy users of the memory scan feature.

Changes:
- There is a new scanning strategy in place and channels are not loaded into the channel memory if they have the "skip" flag enabled or are in the "nuisnace" list. This means no skip channel will be selected if scanning is stopped manually.
- During my tetst i have not expereinced any reboot when pressing the down button while the scan is paused in a channel with traffic (in order to add the channel to the nuisance list)
- New scanning visual indicator (a Z letter in inverted color to the right of the TS). There are some glithces: the Z symbol is not cleared (or totally cleared) when the scan stops. It seems that the screen buffer is changed but not actually dump to the screen(??)

Here I post a copule of scren grabs and the firmware. This firmware version does not include today's latets fixes.

David
Attachments
This is a manual edit to mimic what i see when the scan is stopped. The actual screen grab only shows the top header (and the Z is not rendered)
This is a manual edit to mimic what i see when the scan is stopped. The actual screen grab only shows the top header (and the Z is not rendered)
scan _off modified.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
scan.png
scan.png (2.86 KiB) Viewed 5084 times

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ea3ihi

Re: Test version: new channel scan

Post by ea3ihi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:10 pm

New version with all the merges from today and a fix to remove the scan symbol when scan stops.

David
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:33 pm

scan is ok but when it stops on a busy dmr channel i get no audio , fm is fine

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:03 pm

Thanks for the report, I am really struggling to find out what change is responsible for the lack of audio. There is no audio even without starting a scan, and in this case the code that runs is the same as in the previous version...

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:53 pm

yes that is correct, no audio on dmr, regardless of scan. very strange :!:

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:00 pm

I am totally lost, maybe it has something to do with some new code optimizations?

I have removed almost all the code, up to a limit where almost it is dummy code that does nothing, specially i have the following function:

Code: Select all

static void searchNextChannel(void) {
	nextChannelReady = false;
return;
If I comment out the line "nextChannelReady = false;" then the DMR sound works, but if i leave the code like it is, then there is no audio.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:13 pm

ea3ihi wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:00 pm
I am totally lost, maybe it has something to do with some new code optimizations?

I have removed almost all the code, up to a limit where almost it is dummy code that does nothing, specially i have the following function:

Code: Select all

static void searchNextChannel(void) {
	nextChannelReady = false;
return;
If I comment out the line "nextChannelReady = false;" then the DMR sound works, but if i leave the code like it is, then there is no audio.
This does sound like a code optimisation bug.

Try doing a clean build, or going back to a version from 2 days ago with less optimisation

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:37 am

I can confirm audo works if I take the code from January the 14th and redo the changes.

The modifications to the scan code (uiChannelMode.c) are in my channelScan1 branch:

https://github.com/ea3ihi/OpenGD77/blob ... nnelMode.c

This branch already contains your latest stchanges from your master branch as of january the 19th, and is ready to merge, but DMR audio does not work.

David

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 am

Daniel has made some changes since you pulled the code, so I can't use uiChannelMode with the current codebase

I did however try copying and pasting your variables into my uiChannelMode to see if it caused and problems, but the DMR audio was OK.

I agree there is a potential problem of the DMR audio stopping because of the compilation, but there could be other solutions

Try making a copy of the .cproject from when the code works, and the use that .cproject with your files, because the compiler optimisation is defined in that file.

Note. Make sure you do a clean build. Partial builds do not work immediatly after the compiler optimisation settings have changed

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Bingo! using the new code and the .cproject from January the 14th, the DMR audio works without issues.

I post here my build with the new memory scan code so users willing to help with the tests can try it.