F1RMB

Re: Update 16th Jan

Post by F1RMB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:48 am

Hi,
DD1LBM wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:45 am
DD1LBM wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:42 am
backlight turns off automatically after 15 seconds.. as I said before, I have no proof, it's just a feeling..
Feeling was wrong :D .. It's just that the battery drains more at the beginning and the drain is slowing down after a while. So the real problem is, that the percentage of unloading shown in the display isn't linear..
If you refer on the displayed battery percentage (as now it's updated even if there is no RX activity), it's an averaged value, so it will settle after a while.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

DD1LBM

Post by DD1LBM » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 am

exactly..seems it runs faster now in the beginning, maybe there are more cpu-cycles available..

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am

DD1LBM wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 am
exactly..seems it runs faster now in the beginning, maybe there are more cpu-cycles available..
Well, few days ago a fix was added because the battery percentage wasn't updated if there is no RX activity for quite some time, so the displayed value suddenly could "drop" for many percents.

Now, it's regularly updated, even if the screen shouldn't be updated by other events.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:24 am

Guys

FYI.

Battery voltage averaging over several minutes was added because otherwise the battery percentage would go up and down quite a lot.

I know Daniel has made some changes to ensure that the battery display is updated regularly, but there is probably not a perfect solution to displaying the battery percentage.

Also, the display is the percentage of voltage and not the percentage of capacity. There is no hardware to measure the current being drawn from the battery, we can only measure the voltage, and the remaining capacity of the battery is not directly proportional to the battery voltage.

Even on Apple device, where millions of dollars has been spent on development of the hardware and firmware, you will find that the battery indication can suddenly drop, as even Apple can't accurately tell you how much capacity remains in the battery

DD1LBM

Post by DD1LBM » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks for explanation, Daniel..

Also thanks to Roger for details.. As I said, it was just a feeling.. part of my symptoms is recognizing "glitches" if they appear, so it didn't feel right, I will get used to it.
Sometimes these symptoms are useful, for example if you need to find a false input in a huge database or a missing ";" in tons of code, but those glitches can be irritating in life..

But, you see, I'm watching the progress very closely ;)