Experimental alpha-numeric text entry from Alex

VK3KYY

Experimental alpha-numeric text entry from Alex

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:18 am

Alex has produced a version which allows the Channel and Contact names to be edited, including entering letter and numbers using the keypad.

This is experimental at the moment, so has not been included in today's release, but Alex and I thought it would be a good idea to do a test release of this feature to allow more people to test this new feature, before it goes into the "Latest" version.
  • Keys 0 to 9 are used for characters. (Using the key-binding from the official GD-77 manual.)
  • Left and Right to move cursor
  • Blue+Left deletes character
  • Blue+Right inserts space
This version should include all the fixes in todays "Latest" release

Once enough people have tried this new feature it will be incorporated into the main code.
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

DU2XXR

Re: Experimental alpha-numeric text entry from Alex

Post by DU2XXR » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:22 am

Trying this. Wow, that was two firmware updates in a span of 5 minutes for me. Makes sense to test new features while we're at it. :)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:27 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:22 am
Trying this. Wow, that was two firmware updates in a span of 5 minutes for me. Makes sense to test new features while we're at it. :)
Alex sent the keypad alpha-numeric input update to me earlier today, but there were also 4 other changes to process today and there has not been time for me to thoroughly test the alpha-numeric input to include it in the Latest release

I also considered including some other small changes to the calibration, which would only effect cross band DMR operation, but I decided not to update the code with the crossband stuff either as I would need to give it more testing, and I doubt anyone would actually use it, as it requires special configuration of a hotspot.

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:34 am

awesome all good here :mrgreen:

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:47 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:27 am
4I1RAC wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:22 am
Alex sent the keypad alpha-numeric input update to me earlier today, but there were also 4 other changes to process today and there has not been time for me to thoroughly test the alpha-numeric input to include it in the Latest release

I also considered including some other small changes to the calibration, which would only effect cross band DMR operation, but I decided not to update the code with the crossband stuff either as I would need to give it more testing, and I doubt anyone would actually use it, as it requires special configuration of a hotspot.
Oh, no, I meant that for myself. Sorry if it came out the wrong way. I meant might as well test the new update while I have the newest release.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:50 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:47 am

Oh, no, I meant that for myself. Sorry if it came out the wrong way. I meant might as well test the new update while I have the newest release.
Hi Angelo

I did not think you were saying anything negative..

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:59 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:50 am
4I1RAC wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:47 am

Hi Angelo

I did not think you were saying anything negative..
Good to hear. This feature will require adding into the guide once it's in the latest published release.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:24 am

Text entry working perfectly as far as actual text input and editing. Only issue I can see is the popping sound when in analog mode (at certain key tone levels), after each keypress, which I think is a common issue at this time across analog channels.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:57 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:24 am
Only issue I can see is the popping sound when in analog mode (at certain key tone levels), after each keypress, which I think is a common issue at this time across analog channels.
I think the clipping of the beeps is a different problem.

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi Roger.
Firmware OpenGD77_201912141700_keypad_alpha_input.sgl
TEXT.png
TEXT.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
Text entry working good.
I had these problems, though:

1) Keeping scanning for CC in DMR mode on a VHF frequency (I do not think frequency makes a difference) on VFO, then my GD-77 reset itself, that is, it turns itself off and switches back on by itself on the memory on which it was set at the previous power on.
I can replicate the problem.

2) In DMR mode while transmitting both time slots are used simultaneously.
Deepening the matter, seems to me that this occurs when there is no traffic on the time slot which is not that where is performing the transmission, while instead if the time slot not used for the transmission is busy, then there is not transmission on both time slots simultaneously but only on the right one used for TX.
OVERRIDE TS and CALL RECEIVE TONE do not make difference.
I can replicate the problem.

Thanks!

73 best regards de Fabio IZ2EIB
Last edited by IZ2EIB on Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.