Latest update - December 14th

VK3KYY

Latest update - December 14th

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:45 am

I've updated the "Latest" firmware file on Github https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... latest.sgl

The changes have all been bug fixes, and code clean-ups, apart from the updates to the languages support.
Including...
  • Bug fixes for the Blue (Function) key bugs. (From Daniel)
  • Updated language files for Danish, German, Italian (From various contributors)
  • Bug fixes to the Contact List and New Contact screens (From Alex)
  • Bug fixes to keypad operation (From Daniel)
  • Bug fix for DMR 4FSK modulation (from Colin)
  • Graphical speed improvements (From Daniel)
  • Removed DMR system code optimisation as this potentially caused problems in a previous release.
  • Bug fix to keyboard hardware pullup resistors (From Alex and I)
  • Bug fix for Tone and CC scan so that they stop when the PTT is pressed (from Daniel)

The major improvements are to the DMR operation, which should now work OK on VHF and also DVMega hotspots.
Also some radios where the keypad was not working or partially not working should also be OK now.

I'm not sure if this was really causing any problems, but in the previous release some people reported worse DMR performance, and its possible this is because I enabled compiler optimisation on the DMR source code file, which would have resulted in some timings changing slightly.

I'm not sure whether the reports about DMR problems that started in the last release were related to this, but I have restored the DMR source file back to its un-optimised state, as a precaution.
This may actually result in worse DMR performance if the problem was not related to the compiler optimisation setting, but its difficult to know.

Note.
Its better to take time to evaluate whether something is better of worse and not jump to conclusions, as there are many factors which can effect DMR operation, including the quality of signal / data from the other stations and also the network speed and also other factors relating to both BM and DMR+ servers etc etc

EDIT.
It looks like there is an issue with the DTMF buttons locking on in this release.
Daniel is currently investigating this problem

DU2XXR

Re: Latest update - December 14th

Post by DU2XXR » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:07 am

Installed and running. So far no issues as a radio. What were the symptoms of the DMR optimization issues? I have not encountered any in the previous releases (Dec 9, etc.).

What I like about recent releases is that the settings are no longer reset to defaults, by the way.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:10 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:07 am
Installed and running. So far no issues as a radio. What were the symptoms of the DMR optimization issues? I have not encountered any in the previous releases (Dec 9, etc.).

What I like about recent releases is that the settings are no longer reset to defaults, by the way.
VK3TBS reported more DMR audio corruption, especially at the end of the other stations transmission. I have not experienced this myself and I think the problem may have been specific to his radio.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:13 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:10 am
VK3TBS reported more DMR audio corruption, especially at the end of the other stations transmission. I have not experienced this myself and I think the problem may have been specific to his radio.
Thanks. I will observe if there are any marked improvements in that regard.

Oh, the Blue key TG switching while locked "bug/feature" has now been resolved, I see. I hope to see an option to enable that in future (e.g., being able to use Blue key to switch to TalkGroup of current transmission even whilst locked).

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:17 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:13 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:10 am
Thanks. I will observe if there are any marked improvements in that regard.

Oh, the Blue key TG switching while locked "bug/feature" has now been resolved, I see. I hope to see an option to enable that in future (e.g., being able to use Blue key to switch to TalkGroup of current transmission even whilst locked).
A number of the Blue / function key issues have been fixed, including the Blue + Up ,Blue + Down , Blue + Star etc not stopping the scan.

I agree that we may need to add an option which allows people to chose how the blue key operates when the keypad is locked, but at the moment it makes sense to fix the bug/feature that allowed a button or key to change something when the keypad was locked.

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:20 am

so far so good here, wow, you've made a lot of changes, thank you. Although 'tone scan' doesn't stop on my gateway, I'm not too bothered as I know the ctcss anyway :mrgreen: and there are no other 2m repeaters near me :( , everything else seems great

Once again, many thanks

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:49 am

Daniel has just let me know there is a problem with the DTMF keys locking on.

He is investigating and I will probably release an update later, which may include the Alpha-numeric entry update from Alex if enough people have tried it.

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:55 am

thanks hopefully it will include the alpha keys

SQ7PTE

Post by SQ7PTE » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:30 am

Roger. Were you able to fix the radio blocking error in HotSpot mode?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:44 am

SQ7PTE wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:30 am
Roger. Were you able to fix the radio blocking error in HotSpot mode?
No.

Its been a busy week and my PC crashed on Thursday because a Windows update went wrong :-(
I had to buy a new PC. I had to reload the software onto the new PC.

But I also managed to fix the PC which crashed. The crash with the Windows update resulted in no desktop or Star menu etc etc.
Completely blank screen.

So I am currently using my old PC again, beause its better than the new one. Both are Core i7, but I bought a lower spec replacement as it was cheaper, so its only 3GHz whereas the the old PC is 4GHz + overclocking etc etc