DMR filtering by CC TS and TG

VK3KYY

DMR filtering by CC TS and TG

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 am

Guys

I've started to modify the code so that the radio will monitor TS1 or TS2 at the same time.

However this throws up some usability problems.

e.g.
Initially no traffic on TS1 or TS2

Station A starts talking to Station B on TS1

Station C starts talking to Station D on TS1

If radio is monitoring both TS1 and TS2, so when Station A starts transmitting, the radio locks onto TS1

If Station B leaves a gap between overs and the repeater carrier drops out, but Station C is transmitting, should the radio switch automatically to TS1 to listen to Station C

Or should it stay on TS2

Also, if the radio was set to TS2 before the monitor mode was enabled, and the radio is listening to TS1 to hear Station C, what happens when the operator presses the PTT.

PS. I don't like the idea of pressing the PTT within a specific amount of time, as on many instances I have seen people transmitting on a TG that they didn't mean to transmit on, just because they transmitted on their MD-380 in promiscious mode where the Tx TG was not the TG they were receiving on.

Hence why, with the OpenGD77, for TG's the operator has to press a button to change the Tx TG,

I think the same may apply for this feature of monitoring both TS, as the operator may not actually want to transmit back to the station they are hearing (on a specific TS) and they may forget they are on monitor mode.

W0RMT

Re: DMR filtering by CC TS and TG

Post by W0RMT » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:21 am

My thoughts: In monitoring mode, pressing the PTT will transmit on the TS you were on before monitor was initiated. Stick with the need to manually select the TS if one wants to change.

In monitor mode, if another station on the other TS captures the lock during the gap, then the radio listens on that TS. But can a time interval be selectable for TS switching during monitor? Like 1, 2, 3, or 5 seconds before it goes back to monitoring both TS and is therefore able to be captured by a station on the other TS?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:03 am

Bud

Thanks.

Some sort of timeout is definitely needed. I tried a basic implementation without a timeout , but it wasnt very usable

I think this feature needs to be turned on a bit like the Scan, as otherwise it could be seriously confusing

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:20 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:03 am
Bud

Thanks.

Some sort of timeout is definitely needed. I tried a basic implementation without a timeout , but it wasnt very usable

I think this feature needs to be turned on a bit like the Scan, as otherwise it could be seriously confusing
I totally agree that it needs to be able to be turned on/off. Anytone does this as "digital monitor single slot" or "digital monitor double slot" (one or the other) and it seems to work pretty well.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 pm

I've attached a highly experimental version which can listen on both TS.

On the Channel screen, press the Orange button and then select DMR Mon: and push the Left arrow to change the filtering to just the Colour Code.

Then press Green to accept

The radio should now listen on both TS1 and TS2, and "capture" whichever TS is active and hold the capture for 5 seconds after the signal has ended

If your Tx TS is set to the other TS, (or the TG is different from the Tx TG), the display colour of the TG line will be inverted, and if you press the Blue button it should switch both the TS and the TG to match the captured TS.

I've not given this much testing so it probably has some problems.
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

KU4ZD

Post by KU4ZD » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:12 am

it seems to be working, I have not found any problems but will keep testing

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:20 am

Thanks

I"m sure it needs more work.. But its a start....

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:45 am

I've installed it and I'm testing it now. It seems to be working OK but I will report back after I get 2 TS active on the repeater.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:59 am

Guys

FYI.

It looks like something is wrong with the code attached the Blue button to change the TS and TG to the incoming signal values

It looks like the TS and TG may be changing but the display is showing the old TG.

I'll need to debug this.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 am

Some bug fixing
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]