DMR filtering by CC TS and TG

W1AEX

Re: DMR filtering by CC TS and TG

Post by W1AEX » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:39 pm

I installed the "Latest" firmware (08:43:16 Nov 27 2019 232357f) to test the dual TS monitoring, but when I bring up the Quick Menu and select the DMR Mon:CC, TS option with the green key, I don't see the inverse display indication over the TS field. Maybe I'm not enabling it correctly?

Thanks,

Rob W1AEX

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:18 pm

W1AEX wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:39 pm
I installed the "Latest" firmware (08:43:16 Nov 27 2019 232357f) to test the dual TS monitoring, but when I bring up the Quick Menu and select the DMR Mon:CC, TS option with the green key, I don't see the inverse display indication over the TS field. Maybe I'm not enabling it correctly?

Thanks,

Rob W1AEX
You will see the inverse display over TS when you only select Mon:CC in the filtering. You don't want Mon: CC, TS if you want to monitor both TS because then it will filter by TS as well.

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Thank you Bud! I was not aware that I could use the left arrow key to only select MON:CC in the filtering. It's working fine thanks to your explanation! :)

Rob W1AEX

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:04 pm

No worries, Rob! Enjoy

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:24 pm

I think the name I gave to this is not ideal

The setting is how much filtering is applied to the DMR signal.

Eventually I am hoping to be able to support multiple levels of filtering, but at the moment the only filter that can be turned on and off is TS.
I
I tried to remove CC filtering but I have not managed to get DMR Rx to work when I don’t filter the CC.

The CC filtering is done in the code, but there are multiple places where the CC is checked and simply changing the code so that the checking could be disabled , in all the places it’s used, caused all sorts of strange problems with the DMR reception.

TG filtering should also be possible, since the official firmware does this. However I don’t think I would actually use it

Rather than calling this “DMR mon” , short for DMR Monitor. It should really be called “DMR Filter”, but that takes too many characters on the screen.
Perhaps I should change it to Filter e.g. “Filter:CC,TS,TG”, and on FM show it as “Filter:N/A”
Or perhaps “D Filter”

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:36 pm

IMHO, Filter:CC,TS,TG is just fine. Everybody knows what CC, TS & TG stands for, so obviously it's not for FM.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:42 pm

If it was complete off, it would display “Filter:None” when in DMR mode, but I agree, people should still understand what this means and know what mode they are in.

Alternative on FM it could display if Rx CTCSS is enabled and show the CTCSS frequency

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:29 am

Alternative on FM it could display if Rx CTCSS is enabled and show the CTCSS frequency
That would be great. Often you'd want to have an Rx CTCSS programmed into a channel, but may want to disabling it without the channel forgetting what it is, for example to listen to some interfering traffic.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:36 am

Originally with the Channel Details screen the changes were only temporary unless you pressed Function + Green to leave the screen.

However with some other changes including reading the VFO into the Channel, it was decided that changes made in the Channel Details screen should always be permanent (written back to the codeplug).

So I agree, this method could be a temporary override.

HI8NLO

Post by HI8NLO » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:03 pm

Testing this update and it's working marvelously. One question would be on the reason why the black bar on the TS was removed. It was very informative on which TS was previously selected and the one currently active by the monitor.

Other than that working very well. I'll keep testing on the local Dominican Republic repeaters.