New ongoing "Development" version has been created

vk7js

Re: New ongoing "Development" version has been created

Post by vk7js » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:10 am

vk7js wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:16 am
Hi Roger/Daniel,

One other voice prompt request when you have time, no rush, but in VFO mode, when pressing up and down arrow, is it possible just to announce the new frequency rather than VFO a on each press of up or down arrow? Again, it would make stepping through frequencies by step size much more efficient.
So, we do want to hear VFO a or b when you first toggle from channel to VFO mode, but when arrowing up and down, if you are going to say VFO a or b, please could it be after the frequency?
Much appreciated and again, no rush, just would improve user experience in VFO mode.

Thanks
Joe
Hi Daniel/Roger, I confirm that this is also now working as desired in build 2021/03/13/1318. Thanks so much, it makes arrowing in VFO mode much more efficient.
Joe

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:26 am

I note the ability of the radio to now remember the last menu option visited. I think you will get mixed reactions from the blind community with this change primarily because one important accessibility rule of thumb is that the radio should always return to a known and predictable state when going to the menus. I.e. they'd always expect Zone to be the first menu item. I personally don't mind it, though I'd expect it to remember the top level menus, not necessarily the exact submenu you left within a menu. i.e. if you last visited Options, remember Options, but not the exact submenu within that menu. In any case, it will be interesting to see reactions. It is a nice feature but I suspect there'll be some reticence. I wouldn't go as far as putting in yet another menu option to turn it on or off, but, it could be jarring to some. Nice job though.

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:49 am

vk7js wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:10 am
Hi Daniel/Roger, I confirm that this is also now working as desired in build 2021/03/13/1318. Thanks so much, it makes arrowing in VFO mode much more efficient.
Joe
Hi Roger/Daniel,
is the build mentioned above available for public download somewhere ?
With regards/73,
Pavel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 am

ok1pt wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:49 am
Hi Roger/Daniel,
With regards/73,
Pavel
There are various on-going bug fix versions.

I think you may be referring to the one in this thread

https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1569

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:21 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 am
ok1pt wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:49 am
Hi Roger/Daniel,
With regards/73,
Pavel
There are various on-going bug fix versions.

I think you may be referring to the one in this thread

https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1569
Thank you, Roger. It's the right one and now it's inside my radio. It looks perfect, but my radios are the ones where the HW is never making problems.
With regards, Pavel

OK1TE

Post by OK1TE » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks for so quick fixes again. Nice build...

Regarding remembering the last (sub-)menu, I like it too. I'd personally prefer to remember the last changed item (when the sub-menu was exited by the Green button) and drop those escaped without changes, but that's just a matter of individual taste.

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:13 pm

Thinking about this further, with regard to my prior comment re getting the radio into a predictable state for accessibility, so long as you don't write these changes to the EProm, this is fine. If you later decided to remember the menu item state across sessions by saving them to the EProm, I'd then suggest you'd need a way of powering on the radio with voice prompts enabled, e.g. power on plus hash key like the Kenwood TH-D74A. This would be made necessary because if voice prompts were not enabled, a user could not simply pick up the radio and follow DJ0HF's instructions to get them operating if they had been disabled by the prior user of the radio and there was no guarantee of the radio going to a particular menu when the green button was hit. So, I think the way you have things is a good compromise. As to the prior user's comment that the menu state should only be saved on a green button and not a cancel, that also makes good sense to me but either way so long as the changes are temporary and forgotten when the radio power cycles, I don't mind.

KB3HGJ

Post by KB3HGJ » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:50 pm

Jumping back to the Eco issue. I found out this past weekend that my GD-77 was one of the early ones that did not work well with the initial implementation of powering down the C6000 in eco mode2+. Coming out of eco mode, the audio was either failing or distorted. I updated to the V3 fix test build and it has addressed the issue. I did not test any of the delta builds between the March 6 development drop and v3.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 pm

I have released a new Beta version

This is includes the recent bug fixes, which already have been released as individual zip files.

See.

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 1.03.21.01

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:37 pm

Hi Roger,

One of the open issues I have is the voicing when arrowing left and right in the contact list when editing a contact at prompt level 3. I fixed the same issue in the channel details screen when editing the name of a channel and you already merged that into the firmware several months ago. (i.e. radio should read the character at the cursor and not the entire field again.) I am wondering, if I make the change to the contacts in the released source, will you consider merging it or is the released source for the contacts too different? I don't want to waste my time if you can't merge it but I'm just trying to help and don't like just raising issues without contributing to fixing them.
I think Daniel's prior comments about having to rework my solutions was unfair considering I was quite new to the whole Open source concept and, the source itself was in a state of flux as you were updating stuff. The only reason I mention my experience as a developer is to press the point that I am not green at this stuff. While I might have been green in terms of the use of github and the culture of the Open Source community, I have many years behind me as a developer and so felt his comments quite discouraging. How one fixes solutions is always a balance of time, knowledge of context and is inevitably always a compromise at some level. I can certainly modify source code to adhere to standards and conventions in place so long as I know what they are. I've always maintained that communication is key to avoiding misunderstandings and ill feeling etc. If I can help with this I'd be glad to.
The other issue I'd like to explore is the PTT latch or hold while dialing DTMF codes to avoid having to hold the PTT key down while dialing. THe idea being that after you press ptt, dial the first dtmf key, you should be able to let go of ptt while you dial the rest of the digits. The ptt is automatically released within a timeout of the last dialed dtmf code.
Anyway, just yet another attempt to offer my help for this incredibly appreciated and brilliant project.
Joseph