Re: New ongoing "Development" version has been created

Post by KI5GZK » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 pm

Ik0nwg wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:24 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:20 am
Ik0nwg wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:16 am
Exactly like Santa Claus ... but you are much more ... every day you bring us a firmware as a gift, sometimes 2 or even 3
Thanks to all the team
ciao Roger
Hi Sal

Yet another small thing to try

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I noticed a small problem, if you change TG , using Left or Right keys, while receiving a DMR signal, that the new TG you selected is not displayed because the callsign of the received signal is being displayed

I have now made a new system, which can delay the update of the callsign display, (or any other thing in the radio which I need to delay), so that in this case the TG can be displayed.

I have currently set the time of displaying the TG to 2 seconds, before the callsign is displayed again.

To test, just receive any DMR signal, and change the TG using Left or Right.

Currently, you will not see the TG, but with my new experimental firmware you will see the TG for 2 seconds
Hi Roger, I'm trying this version .... if I use the left and right arrows (when they are talking) I display the TG set for transmission for a few moments and the amateur radio call is replaced by the name of the memory .... the display often lasts much less than the 2 seconds ..... basically I see the screen exactly when no one is talking....
if I use the VFO it does exactly what you say
ciao
I just tested this version as well and it appears to be working exactly as you said it would Roger.
When I press the arrow keys to change the talk group while receiving a call, it will display the selected group about 2 seconds, and then switch back to the currently received caller and talk group.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:12 pm

The problem seems to be that it works on simplex and possibly simplex hotspots, but not on duplex

The problem seems to be that the display is being unnecessarily updated by the incoming duplex signal.

I'll need to work out why this is happing as its an unnecessary overhead

KI5GZK

Post by KI5GZK » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:25 pm

Upon further testing I have found the 2 second delay to be more random. Sometimes it switches back very quickly.
It worked perfectly when I was connected to the TGIF network. But when I connected to the Brandmeister network, it started behaving differently.

I was using my simplex hotspot.

Update: If I enable the DMR EmbeddedLCOnly setting in Pi-Star, it starts working correctly on Brandmeister as well.
Could it be related to Talker Alias?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:53 pm

KI5GZK wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:25 pm
Upon further testing I have found the 2 second delay to be more random. Sometimes it switches back very quickly.
It worked perfectly when I was connected to the TGIF network. But when I connected to the Brandmeister network, it started behaving differently.

I was using my simplex hotspot.

Update: If I enable the DMR EmbeddedLCOnly setting in Pi-Star, it starts working correctly on Brandmeister as well.
Could it be related to Talker Alias?
Umm

OK.

I need to reconsider the way I handle the "hold off" whilst displaying the TG, because currently I implemented it by waiting 2 seconds after displaying the new TG, and then telling the display to update with the caller information.

However, the caller information seems to be constantly updated, if its not already being displayed on the screen, so I need to change the way I handle the hold off

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:56 pm

OK

I've done a bit of a fix for this, but I think I will need to look at this in more detail, because there seem to be some unexplained updates to the display, which will be wasting the processors valuable time.

Can you try download again from the same location

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Guys.

FYI.

I've noticed a bug when changing TG, where the TS keeps getting set back to the TS specified for the Channel even if the * (Star) button has been pressed to select a different TS.

IMO, this seems incorrect, and once the operator has changed the TS on the channel, it should not revert to the TS for the channel until the operator does a Long press on * (Star)

TG's ( contacts) can also specify an override TS, and this will take priority over the TS change via the * (Star) button, but thats not how the firmware now seems to be working.

My personal choice for the operation of the TS is the priority of TS control is as follow

1. TG's with override TS have the highest priority. When you change to a TG with a TS override, the TS will change to the TS for that TG.
This most useful on repeaters e.g. DMR MARC repeaters, where most TG's only work on either TS1 or TS2, but not both (apart from TG9)
2. The operators choice of TS, controlled by the Star key
3. The TS specified for the channel. This is the least important, but if the TG does not have a TS override and the operator has not changed the TS then the TS for the channel should be used.

When changing channels, I'd personally prefer if the TS remains the same, unless the channel I've changed to uses a different TG list from the previous channel, and the TG for that channel is different and has a TS override.

KI5GZK

Post by KI5GZK » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:53 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:56 pm
OK

I've done a bit of a fix for this, but I think I will need to look at this in more detail, because there seem to be some unexplained updates to the display, which will be wasting the processors valuable time.

Okay, I've tested this latest version and it is working as it should with one exception.
If you happen to be changing the talk group as the current call is ending, it will get stuck on the channel/TG screen and won't display any new incoming information until you press on of the arrow keys again. I believe I experienced this on the last version as well.
Last edited by KI5GZK on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KI5GZK

Post by KI5GZK » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:58 pm
KI5GZK wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:53 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
OK

????
Sorry about that, for some unknown reason I clicked submit before I had typed anything. :?
I went back and edited my previous message.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:45 pm

OK

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:48 pm

KI5GZK wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:53 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
OK

Okay, I've tested this latest version and it is working as it should with one exception.
If you happen to be changing the talk group as the current call is ending, it will get stuck on the channel/TG screen and won't display any new incoming information until you press on of the arrow keys again. I believe I experienced this on the last version as well.
OK

You're probably best off going back to the "Unstable" version that the CPS downloads, until I can work out what's going on

The problem is generally that the screen is being triggered to update when its not actually necessary, and my hack to prevent this, cause that side effect.

What I really need to do, is fix the pre-existing problem if the unnecessary updates to the screen, before I'll be able to make this work correctly.