New ongoing "Development" version has been created

VK3KYY

Re: New ongoing "Development" version has been created

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:50 pm

SQ7PTE wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:37 pm
What is the error that occurs in the "HotSpot" mode After uploading the Firmware of November 7, 2020 to the radio, I did not notice anything bad (bad), I wonder whether to upload this version to the radio that works in "HotSpot" mode
The problem is associated with the way the Hotspot code controls the DMR sub-system, to change terminate transmission.

The hotspot code was directly turning off the PA and enabling the Rx, however this was not correct, and the Hotspot mode code needs to tell the DMR Subsystem, that it would like the DMR Tx to be terminated.

Then the DMR subsystem shuts down transmission, and sends the Voice Header Termination frames.

The change to the Hotspot, is required, because I found some bugs in the DMR Subsystem code, where simplex DMR termination was not always completing correctly.

Hence some code in Hotspot mode had to be changed to match the changes to the DMR Subsystem code.

DMR is very complicated ;-)

IU8OGE

Post by IU8OGE » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:05 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:20 pm
IU8OGE wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:06 pm
sorry for this request, I get one day breaak so I lost some posts.

The today version was retired again ?

I have installed without significant problem to report, not tested in hotspot mode.

Do you suggest to rollback to 3 November develop version or not ?

thanks,
Diego
AFIK.

The only bug is in Hotspot mode.

This version is in use by several Beta testers and no one reported any problems.

However, Daniel emailed me to say there is an intermittent bug in the hotspot, hence I withdrew this version.

In hindsight, I should not have removed it, but I received the reports at 22:00 local time, and I thought it safer to remove it, as I can't answer questions during the night etc
thanks a lot

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:24 pm

I did some testing on the hotspot on TG 91 and it seems OK with the latest version Daniel set me, plus one change suggested by me..

I'll release a new version in the next half an hour, after I test it a bit longer, listening on TG 91

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:53 pm

OK

I have made a new release with the bug fix to Hotspot mode, by Daniel

I also updated the CPS because I added an extra revision code to the end of the existing date code, and this was not displaying correctly in the firmware loader in the CPS.

So..

Load this CPS

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 0.11.08.01

Then you can see the full version number

OK.

Hopefully this version is OK.

Here are the details of the User Power feature (again)

User Power

The "User power" feature replaces the "5W++" power level, which previously, always the set the PA drive level was set at its maximum value, of 4100.

This PA drive level can be set by the operator in the Options menu
Options_user_power.png
Options_user_power.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
This value will default to 4100 after the firmware upgrade and also after a factory reset. So that the initial function of the power level is the same as the 5W++ value

To adjust the value use the Left or Right arrow to increase or decrease in steps of 100.
For accurate control, hold button SK2 and press Left or Right arrow to change in steps of 10.
(Steps less than 10 make hardly any difference to output power, so at the moment the smallest step value is 10)

To set the radio to use the User power level, is the same as previously used for the 5W++ power setting.

Set the power to 5W, then press and hold SK2 + Right arrow until the power is now show as "+W-"
Options_user_power.png
Options_user_power.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
To set this PA level to a specific power output value, e.g. in Watts or milliWatts, the operator must measure the output power, and adjust the value for the desired out power, when on the frequency they want to use this feature.

This can be achieved, by first making sure that the "+W-" power level is selected for a Channel or on the VFO, as described above.

Then enter the Options menu, and adjust the User power value, then press the PTT whilst in the Options menu, and view the power on a meter.

Important note.
The power level in Watts / milliWatts will be different on 70cm and 2m, for the same PA drive value, because the PA FETs are much more efficient on VHF than on UHF.

The power output will also change slightly between the bottom and top of the 70cm band, for the same PA drive.

So you should set this value, when you the radio is set to the frequency where you will use this value.

For those interested in the technical details

This value controls a 12 bit Digital to Analog Converter (DAC), the actual range is 0 to 4095, but values above 4905 are clipped to 4095 and the numbers are easier to understand if they are a multiple of 100.

The DAC generates a voltage from 0 to 3.3V, which is directly proportional to this number e.g. 2000 would output 2000/4995 x 3.3V = 1.61V

This voltage is connected to the input of a LM2904 OpAmp, which feeds a UMC4 " DUAL COMPLEMENTARY PRE-BIASED TRANSISTORS" , which seem to control the supply voltage to the 2SK3078 PA FET (see https://cdn.datasheetspdf.com/pdf-down/ ... ductor.pdf )

So the User power value ultimately controls the voltage to the PA FET
Attachments
user_power_on_VFO.png
user_power_on_VFO.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 3622 times

Ik0nwg

Post by Ik0nwg » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:02 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:53 pm
OK

I have made a new release with the bug fix to Hotspot mode, by Daniel

I also updated the CPS because I added an extra revision code to the end of the existing date code, and this was not displaying correctly in the firmware loader in the CPS.

So..

Load this CPS

Then you can see the full version number

New CPS installed ...... New firmware installed .... today I will test opengd77 even underwater to see if it is IP68 (joke).... thanks Roger and thanks Daniel

ciao ragazzi

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:27 am

Hi Sal

I will send you another test version via email, which reads the internal temperature of the CPU. I'd be interested to know the raw value that is displayed, because I will need a lot of data from different radios to calibrate the raw value into the value in deg C

There is an Application Note from NXP (who make the processor) about how to make the calculation
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application ... &pageNum=1

But the Application Note is for a different CPU and the values I see in the GD77 are not the same.

Ik0nwg

Post by Ik0nwg » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:31 am

ok Roger

f6fzo

Post by f6fzo » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:40 am

Bonjour
et merci :mrgreen:

KI5GZK

Post by KI5GZK » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:33 am

Are the quick keys still a work in progress?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:07 am

KI5GZK wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:33 am
Are the quick keys still a work in progress?
Yes.

They do work,but there are still some problems, which may require a complete rewrite of the functionaliy