Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

VK3KYY

Re: Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

Post by VK3KYY » Fri May 22, 2020 5:14 am

I suspect that this radio suffers too much from both RF injection and also to internal voltage regulation problems, which may ultimately mean it can't work as a hotspot without internally modifying the radio to fix these hardware design problems

We've already noticed that during DMR Tx that the display backlight and also the LEDs behind the keypad dim when the radio transmits each 30mS DMR pulse. This is regardless of the power level, but its more noticeable on higher power settings.

The internal voltage instability could possibly cause the CPU (MCU) to be unable to accurately read the voltage on the USB signals.

DL1DBY

Post by DL1DBY » Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:14 am
I suspect that this radio suffers too much from both RF injection and also to internal voltage regulation problems, which may ultimately mean it can't work as a hotspot without internally modifying the radio to fix these hardware design problems

We've already noticed that during DMR Tx that the display backlight and also the LEDs behind the keypad dim when the radio transmits each 30mS DMR pulse. This is regardless of the power level, but its more noticeable on higher power settings.

The internal voltage instability could possibly cause the CPU (MCU) to be unable to accurately read the voltage on the USB signals.
I have three RD-5R. On one one of them the voltage regulation is so bad that it resets itself every time the audio volume is above a certain level with extreme dimming of the screen illumination. If I switch on this one unit with audio volume set to maximum I can create a sort of "boot loop" because of the morse code start-up jingle of the firmware. Kinda extreme.

But all of them can now access the hotspot with the new firmware version with low BER (<0.3%), BTW.

tnx & vy 73
Dieter DL1DBY

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri May 22, 2020 10:53 am

DL1DBY wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 am

I have three RD-5R. On one one of them the voltage regulation is so bad that it resets itself every time the audio volume is above a certain level with extreme dimming of the screen illumination. If I switch on this one unit with audio volume set to maximum I can create a sort of "boot loop" because of the morse code start-up jingle of the firmware. Kinda extreme.

But all of them can now access the hotspot with the new firmware version with low BER (<0.3%), BTW.

tnx & vy 73
Dieter DL1DBY
Hi Dieter

OK.

Thats good to know.

DL1DBY

Post by DL1DBY » Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm

CORRECTION: I found that one of my three RD-5R,which performed well with the stock firmware, now has high BER witrh my hotspots (3 - 5%) and sometimes fails to open the hotspot. This is with the "calibration" setting in "Menu" on or off.

I have the impression that it's worse with a duplex hotspot on 439/430 Mhz than with a simplex hotspot on 433 Mhz. But maybe I am wrong with this.

The other two units work well with hotspots.