Issues with CPS....

OpenGD77CPS
iu2dlc

Issues with CPS....

Post by iu2dlc » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:50 am

hI all, sorry probably this 3D is just on the Forum but i'm quite new both on opengd77 firmware as well as the Forum.
Stright away..i installed CPS 3.1.x Community Edition, i use Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
Wellm clicking on Extras menu i don't have any issue in reading/writing/saving codeplug,eeprom and all the rest, the GD77 is seen as COM7 ...but....
if i try for instance to firmware loader or calibration i receive the message "Error: can't connect to GD-77", how come?
Well despite the calibration (tbh i neither understood if it needs or not) i am concerned about future FW update due i cannot do that in this situation.
Any solution? To me sounds really strange behaviour.
Regards,
Pietro.

m1dyp

Re: Issues with CPS....

Post by m1dyp » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:16 am

to install firmware, switch the radio on by holding down both bottom side buttons when turning radio on. screen will be blank and green led constant. then in extras menu, use firmware loader, hope this helps

iu2dlc

Post by iu2dlc » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:37 am

Thank you Ken you're great. It works, sorry if i still bother you...what about calbibration features...do i have to use it...that's the last feature that does not works and i did not understood if i need it or not. Thanks again for your time.
Pietro.

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:26 am

hi Pietro, i do not use the calibration feature in case i get it wrong.
if your radio is working.........best to leave it alone, in my opinion

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:03 pm

iu2dlc wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:37 am
what about calbibration features...do i have to use it...that's the last feature that does not works and i did not understood if i need it or not.
Hi Pietro.
Mainly the calibration function is used to restore parameters possibly overwritten or lost, so the GD-77 no longer works.
Before loading the open firmware it would be useful to make a backup copy of the calibration parameters saved in flash so that they can be restored in case of need.
If your GD-77 works without problems even with open firmware you can make a backup of the calibration parameters using the appropriate panel in the open CPS, otherwise you have to reload the stock firmware from Radioddity and save them from there and then reuse them with the open firmware.
You can use the open CPS (it does not work together with the factory firmware from Radioddity) or the special utility written by Roger:

https://www.rogerclark.net/gd-77-flashm ... installer/

It is easier to do than to say (to write).

73 best regards de Fabio IZ2EIB

iu2dlc

Post by iu2dlc » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:46 am

Thanks guys. To be honest i installed the opengd77 FW starting from latest stock Radioddity FW (latest one). I was just asking but telling the truth i did not encountered any issues with my radio so good advice "till it works correctly" maybe it's better don't mess things out. I will leave all as it is at this point :-)