Malware?

OpenGD77CPS
N7RZ

Malware?

Post by N7RZ » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 pm

When I try to download the CPS at https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... taller.exe using Chrome, the browser warns that the file is dangerous and blocks it. I am able to download the file with Edge, however.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with Chrome? I've heard that Firefox also blocks the download. I don't remember Chrome complaining about this download the last time I did it a month ago.

~Les, N7RZ

VK3KYY

Re: Malware?

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 pm

AFIK, Chrome reports all exe files as dangerous.

Additionally a lot of antivirus companies now use a system called reputation when deciding if a file is a virus.
All unknown files default to a bad reputation and are then effectively presumed to probably contain a virus.

So, it’s find if you are Microsoft or google and the antivirus companies individually mark your files as safe, but for any producing niche exes the chances are that the file will get miss identified as a virus.

I had initially thought that if the file was digitally signed, as being from a verified company, this would solve the problem, but as part if my day job, I develop software which is then digitally signed, and we get the same problem, despite spending hundreds of dollars per year on a digital certificate

m1dyp

Re: Malware?

Post by m1dyp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:26 pm

i just followed chromes instructions

Download an unsafe file
before clicking dismiss
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click More More and then Downloads.
Find the file you want to download.
Click Recover malicious file.

and it will download