Hotspot mode - Apparently stuck in TX

VK3KYY

Re: Hotspot mode - Apparently stuck in TX

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Ok.

Thanks

BTW. Are you running on BM or DMR+ etc.

I have a feeling this bug may be specific to use on BM.

k8upe

Post by k8upe » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Roger,
I am on the TGIF network (don't use BM at all by choice) and this happens to me so I don't think is one or the other. That being said. Last night I was on Pi-Star_RPi_V3.4.17_20-Jan-2019 with the latest dashboard update. I upgraded to Pi-Star:4.1.0-RC5 / Dashboard: 20191122 before going to bed. I did shut it down for the night and turned it back on this morning. It has been up and running for about 5 hours with no issue. Still watching it though and will let you know. Not sure if anyone else was running a different firmware of Pi-Star or not but this is my findings for now.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Ok.

LOL.

It’s really hard to fix a problem that takes 5 hours or more to test each time.

I would probably only get 1 shot per day to look at the internal status of the GD77

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Roger, I'm using BrandMeister.
BTW, I just saw for the first time GD77 stuck as if it was receiving from other DMR ID, which is not programmed in it, so scratch that from precious post.
I did make private call from one HT to another and vice versa, via generic hotspot and GD77, so it has that ID somewhere in memory.
One more thing... Don't worry too much about this bug, it's not catastrophic. We don't expect you to find it immediately. It will be squashed at some point in time. And again I'm at liberty to say "we", when I say that we are grateful for all the work you and the guys did.
Thanks and take it easy.

k8upe

Post by k8upe » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 pm

Roger,
First and foremost, yes it is not a big deal. It is something that can be dealt with at a later time. I don't think it is the GD-77 at all. As stated before I run two hotspots. One is with the Open GD77 and the other is a DVMEGA and it did the same thing. Sometime in the night so that tells me it is something with Pi-Star. Also I upgraded the Pi-star Software on the GD77spot (as I call it) from version 3.4.17 / Dashboard: 20191122 to Pi-Star:4.1.0-RC5 / Dashboard: 20191122 and the stuck in tx issue has not happened since then. In my opinion I would say it is something with version 3.4.17.

Second,
Thank you for working so hard on all this and thank you to your team. You and your team have created a wonderful piece of software for the GD77. If you need anything just ask and I will see what I can do on this end.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:17 pm

I must respectfully disagree.
I run three hotspots daily, two simultaneously. Two Chinese generic (MMDVM hat on Pi 0W), one at work, one at home, and GD77 (powered by Pi 3 A+) is always with me. So wherever I am, I test GD77, while having another one for comparison purposes. All run latest Pi-Star. I have never had any problem, bug, glitch, or whatever with generic ones.
Not to forget to mention, except GD77, I also carry two HTs with me, MD-380 and MD-390G, to always listen to both hotspots, GD77 and generic one.
And yes, I am nuts, carrying around 3 HTs and Raspberry Pi with cables and power supply. :lol:

k8upe

Post by k8upe » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:39 pm

YT5HOK wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:17 pm
I must respectfully disagree.
I run three hotspots daily, two simultaneously. Two Chinese generic (MMDVM hat on Pi 0W), one at work, one at home, and GD77 (powered by Pi 3 A+) is always with me. So wherever I am, I test GD77, while having another one for comparison purposes. All run latest Pi-Star. I have never had any problem, bug, glitch, or whatever with generic ones.
Not to forget to mention, except GD77, I also carry two HTs with me, MD-380 and MD-390G, to always listen to both hotspots, GD77 and generic one.
And yes, I am nuts, carrying around 3 HTs and Raspberry Pi with cables and power supply. :lol:
Disagree with what? The part about it not being a big deal or that part it might be Pi-Star. Just want to clarify.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Haha... Yeah... Well, I was a little bit ambiguous. But if you read my previous post, I said (in other words) it is not a big deal, so it's not that. I disagree with it being exclusively Pi-Star bug.

k8upe

Post by k8upe » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:36 pm

Fair enough. But the thing is I have both the GD-77 and a DVmega single band raspberry pi hat and it does the same thing. Just not as often. With that being said I am changing one setting at a time in Pi_star on the GD77spot (what I call it) to see if it makes a difference. So far so good. I am keeping a log of things I have changed. This may take awhile but I have nothing better to do.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Just got GD77 stuck in TRX mode. It was listening on generic Chinese hotspot, got short reception and was left stuck in it. Checked hotspot and it was all fine, it was not transmitting, just GD77 thought it was. Green then red button unstuck it, maybe even red would do it.