Hotspot mode - Apparently stuck in TX

k8upe

Re: Hotspot mode - Apparently stuck in TX

Post by k8upe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:41 am

Roger,
Did not see your other post. By quick key I mean i key my md380 like for 3 seconds and it comes back

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:41 am

Ah OK

Key RF on another HT

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:43 am

Did you leave it on an active TG or a quiet one ?

k8upe

Post by k8upe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:58 am

No it is not very active.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 am

OK

That's even more strange ;-)

Normally these bugs are caused by activity not inactivity.

k8upe

Post by k8upe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:45 am

Just a question for those who have this issue. Are you running a nextion screen?
Let me explain. I have two hotspots. Both are raspberry pi. Both run pi-star. One uses a dvmega and the other uses GD-77 with OpenGD77. The devmega is on 70cm here in the US. The GD77Spot (what I call it) is on 2 meter. The dvmega does not use a nextion screen. The GD 77 does. 3.5 inch via the usb to ttl. Well my first test was to switch the raspberry pi. So I swapped them. Did not change the sd card or anything. Just swapped them. So the dvmega was on pi 1 and the GD-77 was on pi 2. With me so far. So now the GD-77 is on pi 1 and the dvmega is on pi2. Guess what. Same thing. TX is stuck but the GD-77 is not actually transmitting.

So I don't know if it is the nextion driver causing this or not but my next test will be without the screen. Since I sit on a talk group that is not busy at night I will leave everything running over night. It is 2:40 am EST here so I will remove the screen, set the screen configration in pistar to none and will let you know tomorrow what the outcome is.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 am

My GD77 is on Raspberry Pi 3A+ w/o any screen.
I have two generic Chinese simplex hotspots on RPi 0W, at work and at home, with same Pi-Star version and same relevant settings, for comparison purposes.
I can confirm that "fake" TX happens always during periods of inactivity, otherwise I would notice HT being on GD77 hotspot stopped receiving.

BTW, since I updated FW two days ago (just around 48-50h ago from now), IIRC it was first FW with large font, I havent had any "stuck in fake TX" bugs. GD77 was in hotspot mode and monitored for 24h during this 48h period.

Roger, have you changed anything, or is it just coincidence?

EDIT: What is your logging level in Pi-Star/Configuration/Expert/MMDVMHost/Log/DisplayLevel and FileLevel? Mine is 0 and 2 respectively. Asking cause I have nothing in live logs. I'll check Pi-Star forum too...

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 am

I've not changed anything in the hotspot. So this is a coincidence.

However I have not ruled out that the AMBE codec functions we call as a black box from the official firmware are not overwriting some RAM used for variables in the OpenGD77 code.

I'm not actively logging the hotspot at the moment, as I only have 1 radio with a hardware debugger attached and I have to constantly reboot that when uploading to test the submissions from Colin, Daniel and Alex

k8upe

Post by k8upe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Ok so it is now 9 am EST and I just woke up and checked on both of my hotspots. It seems that having a nextion screen connected or disconnected does nothing. It is still stuck in TX. If you have any other suggestions I would be willing to try them.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:37 am

Didn't post for few days, cause I had nothing special to report, but I was testing...
Still nothing special to report, but I have some observations.
[strike]First, regardless of HT working over GD77 hotspot (and I have two with different DMR IDs), it always gets stuck with on screen DMR ID which is set in GD77. I was thinking that something from FW initiates fake TX reception...[/strike]
Which brings me to second observation. If GD77 is left untouched in TRX mode (not hotspot), it lights up from time to time. Rarely and with no obvious pattern. Looks to me like fake reception...? Maybe same as fake reception in hotspot mode...?
Third and last, it might have nothing to do which each other. :D
Last edited by YT5HOK on Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.