[Fixed] RX CTCSS does not work...

G4EML

Re: [Fixed] RX CTCSS does not work...

Post by G4EML » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:02 pm

Yes, a delay on just the CTCSS detection is a better way to do this. The normal squelch will then still suppress the squelch tail.
100 cycles sounds a little long. I would suggest reducing this as much as possible.

I have implemented similar adaptive squelch logic on repeater controllers in the past. However in that case I made the squelch closing time variable depending on how long the squelch had been open. This improved mobile flutter situation considerably. A strong station which holds the squelch open most of the time gets a very short squelch tail. A fluttery station with rapid squelch opening and closing gets a longer squelch tail. It is much easier to understand a weak signal if it has bursts of squelch noise than if it has silent gaps.

OH1E

Post by OH1E » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:43 pm

yeah the code is changed to normal squelch work if no signal.
Here is video demonstrating how bad the unmodified firmware is compared the change of code i did. i hope this will be released on main. lets see what Roger and others has to say :)

youtu.be/nlPEg2qZ5cI

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi,

I don't know what is the best about the squelch closing thing, but what I notice in your video is the kind of antenna you're using.
Do you expect any performance from those sh*ty dummy load ? I mean, it has been proven those are not even good dummy load, as some fake models are even really badly designed, and even bad for your transceiver.
You can use them, at your own risk, for nearby hotspots, nothing more.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:29 pm

That sounds like a very weak signal. I agree that a longer squelch tail will always help in that situation.
Your mod seems to work. It might need to be tested with a stronger signal to make sure that it doesn’t cause any unwanted side effects. An automatically adjusted delay as mentioned before might be worth investigating.

OH1E

Post by OH1E » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:57 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:12 pm
Do you expect any performance from those sh*ty dummy load ? I mean, it has been proven those are not even good dummy load, as some fake models are even really badly designed, and even bad for your transceiver.
Sorry i dont undersdand why you so mad F1RMB, this video purpose was to do a week signal condition to show act of rx ctcss on that condition. As month ago opengd77 firmware was not having this issue at all.
i dont understand why you are talking about antenna, while im talking about something has changed on firmware what make the sq close middle weak signal/high deviation.

why no one taking this seriously exept G4EML ?
I try to help and fix this, only i get is commets about bad antenna, bad code etc. i told how to reproduce this. i try my best help and no one cares about it, how nice.

best 73 oh1e

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Riku wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:57 pm
F1RMB wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:12 pm
Sorry i dont undersdand why you so mad F1RMB, this video purpose was to do a week signal condition to show act of rx ctcss on that condition. As month ago opengd77 firmware was not having this issue at all.
i dont understand why you are talking about antenna, while im talking about something has changed on firmware what make the sq close middle weak signal/high deviation.

why no one taking this seriously exept G4EML ?
I try to help and fix this, only i get is commets about bad antenna, bad code etc. i told how to reproduce this. i try my best help and no one cares about it, how nice.

best 73 oh1e
Mad ?! Naaaa, never been here :D

Just, my point is, maybe you're trying to circumvent a hardware related issue with the software.
And I quote myself, maybe you didn't noticed: "I don't know what is the best about the squelch closing thing", so I didn't say anything about the code.

Also, it's not a matter of closing the squelch on weak signal, it's just the squelch closes as soon as the signal reach the noise floor (don't trust the RSSI bar, it's not realtime, it's updated each 100ms, while many part of the code are updated more frequently).

So, if giving opinion of your test tool is being mad, so yes, I'm mad ;)

In my opinion, if closing the squelch needs to be delayed, conditionnaly, such hardcoded value isn't probably the more effective, as it will introduce a tail (read noise) everytime a signal goes down the noise, even on really good RX conditions. That could be irritating, don't you think ? Detecting if it is a weak signal should take care of few events, like for how long the signal disappeared, how many times, etc.

EDIT: Question, why are you opening the repeater with the mobile transceiver, is the GD-77 is beyond the repeater coverage in its current condition ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:32 pm

It is clear that the solution provided by riku improves the sound received on the radio. I do not know if it is the best possible solution, but it is clear that there is a significant improvement.
I think we need to see how to implement it in the firmware, because whenever possible we need to improve the device in the most difficult conditions. If it works well with marginal signals, it will go better in all conditions.

OH1E

Post by OH1E » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:07 pm
EDIT: Question, why are you opening the repeater with the mobile transceiver, is the GD-77 is beyond the repeater coverage in its current condition ?
it will work with gd77 too, but it was much easier have mic, phone(camera) and try drive same time on same hand :DD
actually that as a simplex link not much used with low power. If i was to use our repeater then i would need to drive alot more away, because repeater will come everywhere very well near the town, the little antenna is more than enuf for that use, it is just so strong and this is liitle city, so not much squaremeter. and also using our repeater it will breaking up because deviation issues, actually i have tuned it with proper measurement devices into 12.5khz narrow band and still it is breaking up when loud sound is coming even fmn or fm is selected on radio. thats the reason why i did not included that on my video so noone can say "the repeater is bad" i know it is ok because all other radio it works good..
So taking weak signal into talk is better than high deviation issue, as they are both doing same problem..
EB3AM wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:32 pm
It is clear that the solution provided by riku improves the sound received on the radio. I do not know if it is the best possible solution, but it is clear that there is a significant improvement.
I think we need to see how to implement it in the firmware, because whenever possible we need to improve the device in the most difficult conditions. If it works well with marginal signals, it will go better in all conditions.
yeah the code above link is fixing the issue, temporary until someone code it better :)
viewtopic.php?p=7899#p7899

OH1E

Post by OH1E » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:35 am

well it seems this will never fixes, Roger closed it already. so sad. really. maybe it get more attention when other users start reporting it.
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... issues/552

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:58 am

Riku wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:35 am
well it seems this will never fixes, Roger closed it already. so sad. really. maybe it get more attention when other users start reporting it.
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... issues/552
Until now, it seems you're the only one, and no-one is able to reproduce.