[Reesolved] Hotspot Mode Fails 3/15/2020 Firmware and new Loader

kd2lh

[Reesolved] Hotspot Mode Fails 3/15/2020 Firmware and new Loader

Post by kd2lh » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:56 pm

I loaded the 3/15/2020 firmware [bc46565] signature onto a couple GD-77 radios, and setup things with an external antenna replacing the radio mounted one.

While this seems to work initially, it stops receiving local signals after brief operation (seems to receive the first local transmission, then no further reception). Similar operation when Brandmeister incoming group call is transmitted by the radio. After the first transmission, it stops transmitting. The receiver is deaf. The transmitter isn't keyed.

Livelogs on Pi-Star don't show any errors. `

I tried two radios and saw similar results on each. Using Pi-Star at latest maintenance R4.1.0-RC8.

I loaded these radios using the latest standalone Firmware loader that detects DM1801 and GD-77 radios and their firmware files. I tried reloading the 3/15 firmware using the loader in OpenGD77 CPS as well. It still failed.

Is something in hotspot working storage possibly being overlaid in the 3/15 version firmware?

During Hotspot initialization, I see the normal display with the hotspot frequency appear for a few seconds, then it reverts back to non-hotspot channel mode for several seconds, then the display changes back to hotspot mode.

The failure appears to be that the receive and transmit frequencies of the hotspot mode are getting overwritten with the last channel frequency that was active before switching to hotspot mode. It's the same one that is temporarily displayed during hotspot initialization.

With further testing, I'm seeing the same failure on the 3/1/2020 stable firmware.

Could this overlay be related to one of the new scan features?

Marc
Last edited by kd2lh on Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1RMB

Re: Hotspot Mode Fails 3/15/2020 Firmware and new Loader

Post by F1RMB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:35 am

Hi Marc,
kd2lh wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:56 pm
I loaded the 3/15/2020 firmware [bc46565] signature onto a couple GD-77 radios, and setup things with an external antenna replacing the radio mounted one.

While this seems to work initially, it stops receiving local signals after brief operation (seems to receive the first local transmission, then no further reception). Similar operation when Brandmeister incoming group call is transmitted by the radio. After the first transmission, it stops transmitting. The receiver is deaf. The transmitter isn't keyed.

Livelogs on Pi-Star don't show any errors. `

I tried two radios and saw similar results on each. Using Pi-Star at latest maintenance R4.1.0-RC8.

I loaded these radios using the latest standalone Firmware loader that detects DM1801 and GD-77 radios and their firmware files. I tried reloading the 3/15 firmware using the loader in OpenGD77 CPS as well. It still failed.

Is something in hotspot working storage possibly being overlaid in the 3/15 version firmware?

During Hotspot initialization, I see the normal display with the hotspot frequency appear for a few seconds, then it reverts back to non-hotspot channel mode for several seconds, then the display changes back to hotspot mode.

The failure appears to be that the receive and transmit frequencies of the hotspot mode are getting overwritten with the last channel frequency that was active before switching to hotspot mode. It's the same one that is temporarily displayed during hotspot initialization.

With further testing, I'm seeing the same failure on the 3/1/2020 stable firmware.

Could this overlay be related to one of the new scan features?

Marc
If the hotspot mode exits (if the GD doesn't reboots by itself), it means the communication with MMDVMHost stopped at some point (in MMDVM hotspot mode).
About the frequencies, I don't understand the problem. When you turn you GD ON, it will be in Channel or VFO mode. Once MMDVM start to initialize the Hotspot mode, the GD switch to the hotspot screen. At this point, only MMDVM can change the frequency. Once the hotspot mode leaves, it goes back to the previous Channel or VFO mode, restoring the whole frequency, filter and so on.

On the very first start, until MMDVMHost defines the configuration, the default QRG value is 430MHz sharp.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:40 pm

When I turn the GD77 on, it is on one of the programmed channels, and displaying the alpha description from CPS. This channel is a Private (not group) definition on TS1. 446.075mhz.

I start PiStar. The radio is attached to the Raspberry Pi as always.

I see MMDVMHost initialize the GD hotspot. The display appears with the Pi-Star configured frequency, etc. and this remains for a few seconds. Then the radio display switches back to the channel it had been on before for a longer period of time.

Then the radio display switches back to the hotspot frequency 438.6000 , but the radio itself remains operating on the frequency programmed in CPS for the channel that was active when the radio was powered on.

Could it be that something in the firmware in the GD77 is pushing the radio out of hotspot mode and back to voice operation on the configured channel, then MMDVMHost is trying to put it back into hotspot mode, but the frequency isn't updated at that time.

To be clear, during the failure, the radio displays the hotspot screen with the pi-star configured frequency, but the radio is operating on the CPS programmed frequency 446.075.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi Marc,
kd2lh wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:40 pm
When I turn the GD77 on, it is on one of the programmed channels, and displaying the alpha description from CPS. This channel is a Private (not group) definition on TS1. 446.075mhz.

I start PiStar. The radio is attached to the Raspberry Pi as always.

I see MMDVMHost initialize the GD hotspot. The display appears with the Pi-Star configured frequency, etc. and this remains for a few seconds. Then the radio display switches back to the channel it had been on before for a longer period of time.

Then the radio display switches back to the hotspot frequency 438.6000 , but the radio itself remains operating on the frequency programmed in CPS for the channel that was active when the radio was powered on.

Could it be that something in the firmware in the GD77 is pushing the radio out of hotspot mode and back to voice operation on the configured channel, then MMDVMHost is trying to put it back into hotspot mode, but the frequency isn't updated at that time.

To be clear, during the failure, the radio displays the hotspot screen with the pi-star configured frequency, but the radio is operating on the CPS programmed frequency 446.075.
That sounds strange. The GD77 Hotspot will go back to VFO/Channel operation 10 secs after MMDVMHost stops communicating with the hotspot.

Of course, MMDVMHost send configuration once, and the hotspot apply this configuration at this time, only. So that's why the frequency ticks to the one of your VFO/Channel after going back to hotspot mode.

Do you mind sharing your mmdvm config file ?.

EDIT: I forgot to answer that one, no, the scan feature isn't involved, as VFO menu isn't working (neither Channel one) when hotspot is running.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi Daniel, I've attached a zip file with my configuration information as well as a video showing the failure.

Marc
Pi-Star_Config_pi-star-gd77_29-Mar-2020x.zip
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
I have placed the video file (38mb) temporarily on my google drive at:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gXRro ... 32tS0SPu_4

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi Marc,
kd2lh wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:08 pm
Hi Daniel, I've attached a zip file with my configuration information as well as a video showing the failure.

Marc

Thanks, I will look at this ASAP, but it's almost diner time now ;-)

Cheers.
---
Daniel

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi Marc,
F1RMB wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:40 pm
Hi Marc,
kd2lh wrote:

Marc

Thanks, I will look at this ASAP, but it's almost diner time now ;-)

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Just downloaded and watched the video.
This double startup looks really strange. Just a question, after the second startup, does the hotspot mode stays on, or does it go back to VFO/Channel mode ?.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi Marc,
kd2lh wrote:

Marc

Just added a workaround for this. Can you test this ?.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 pm

The hotspot mode stays on, but the frequency is not the correct hotspot frequency. It stays on until PiStar and MMDVMHost is shut down.

I'll download and test the bypass. Should I load it to the GD77 with the OpenGD77 CPS firmware loader or the standalone new one?

Marc

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:47 pm

kd2lh wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 pm
The hotspot mode stays on, but the frequency is not the correct hotspot frequency. It stays on until PiStar and MMDVMHost is shut down.

I'll download and test the bypass. Should I load it to the GD77 with the OpenGD77 CPS firmware loader or the standalone new one?

Marc

Any of them.

Cheers.
---
Daniel