[OFF TOPIC - PiStar] I have detected an error in the software pi-star ver 4

EB3AM

[OFF TOPIC - PiStar] I have detected an error in the software pi-star ver 4

Post by EB3AM » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:52 am

It doesn't directly affect radioddity, but it can give you a headache.
I have noticed that the Raspberry for a second, when it receives an RF signal, indicates to the system the data of the last signal received, by RF or also by Net.
That is why, if you make a short carrier stroke, the pi-star sends data to the last correspondent on the network (ID and TG).

With the latest stable release, 3.4.17 this does not happen. What's more, the reaction time is much faster.

I've seen it with the raspberry connected to an HS_Hat and also to a Radioddity as a hotspot.

I did the tests with walkies gd77 and md380, and the errors were exactly the same, so it has nothing to do with the gd77.

YT5HOK

Re: [OFF TOPIC - PiStar] I have detected an error in the software pi-star ver 4

Post by YT5HOK » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:48 am

Please explain how to test. I have GD77, MD380 and MD390, but never noticed such behavior.

Also, have you changed some expert settings? Can you start with fresh Pi-Star image and change only basic stuff needed to make QSO?

EDIT: Have you mentioned this on Pi-Star forum?

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:31 pm

YT5HOK wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:48 am
Please explain how to test. I have GD77, MD380 and MD390, but never noticed such behavior.

Also, have you changed some expert settings? Can you start with fresh Pi-Star image and change only basic stuff needed to make QSO?

EDIT: Have you mentioned this on Pi-Star forum?

youtu.be/-1c8QUJxVI0

No, I'm not have a Pi-star account forum.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Hi,

I see transmission lost everywhere (and some late entry).
Are you using a MMDVM hat ? Is it calibrated (sorry, I cannot see the BER value on the glossy screen).

It would worth the effort to check that using pistar-mmdvmcal, from the command line (don't forget to set the correct frequency (e/E), then (b), then start xmit with your HT.

FYI, Pi-Star uses MMDVMHost, and the one part of the 3.4.17 is a relic from the past (IIRC end of 2018).

Still about MMDVM Hats, once you find the frequency offset, put the same value in RX and TX offset modem parameter (in /etc/mmdvmhost, or using expert editor in Pi-Star web interface).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:01 pm

Daniel, this only happens with the "4 RC7" version of the Pi-Star. With stable version, 3.4.17 does not happen. The configuration is exactly the same and the hardware is the same.
I have no problem using version 3, but I warn that if you use version 4 ... this happens, at least in my house.

Hardware is Raspberry PI 3 B, & GD77 in mmdvm mode.

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:41 pm

I just checked (by doing an "upgrade" from the "expert" page on Pi-Star and RC8 is now available.

It comes with a fairly large number of Debian "Buster" updates (the operating system underneath the PiStar platform).

The Debian Buster updates resolved a connect problem I experienced using Wifi on a Pi4B.

Perhaps re-test for the failure under RC8?
Last edited by kd2lh on Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:44 pm

kd2lh wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:41 pm
I just checked (by doing an "upgrade" from the "expert" page on Pi-Star and RC8 is now available.

It comes with a fairly large number of Debian "Buster" updates (the operating system underneath the PiStar platform).
Yes, but there is no digital related software update between RC7 and RC8, it just reinstall a debian package.

Cheers.
---
Daniel