Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

User avatar
kd2lh
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by kd2lh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:45 pm

I've had a recurring failure with this version firmware:

Built 1/23/2020
10:03:40
[3bab51e]

While receiving incoming voice packets from the VOIP backbone (Brandmeister) the GD77 stops transmitting and then spontaneously reboots. The radio comes up in normal mode, not hotspot mode, and stops operating. Video shows the GD77 suddenly dropping out of hotspot mode mid conversation and reverting to normal mode.

The last conversation dropped out of transmit for a few seconds, and then the GD77 showed the normal screen.

PiStar dashboard is stuck on Trx: TX DMR Slot 2 in red and Dur: Tx in Red.

Livelogs show the "Received Voice Header" and incoming Talker Alias ID of the last incoming conversation, Then PiStar is frozen. Operation of the desktop is very sluggish.

I power cycled the GD77 and nothing changed on the pistar desktop.

If I then unplug the USB connection from the GD77 into the Pi Zero W I see the disk light (which was on solid) go out.

If I plug the GD77 back in, there is considerable disk activity and the node appears to reset, with the GD77 going back into hotspot mode and working correctly.

VK3KYY
Posts: 1656
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:27 pm

BTW..

Do you have the CAST display enabled ?

I wonder if that may be causing the problem e.g. with too much data arriving from MMDVMHost into the HS. e.g. it may constantly send the BER values even if they are not displayed.

User avatar
F1RMB
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by F1RMB » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:01 am

Hi,
VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:27 pm
BTW..

Do you have the CAST display enabled ?

I wonder if that may be causing the problem e.g. with too much data arriving from MMDVMHost into the HS. e.g. it may constantly send the BER values even if they are not displayed.
MMDVMHost doesn't send that info with CAST info:

Code: Select all

        ::sprintf((char*)(buffer + 5U), "%20.20s", src.c_str());
        buffer[25U] = group ? 'G' : 'I';
        ::sprintf((char*)(buffer + 26U), "%20.20s", dest.c_str());
        ::memcpy(buffer + 46U, type, 1U);
        return m_serial->write(buffer, 47U) != 47;
Marc, can you remind me which TG you're listening to when this happens, I would like to listen it as well.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
73 de Daniel.

User avatar
YT5HOK
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Belgrade, KN04FR

Re: Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by YT5HOK » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:52 am

F1RMB wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:01 am
...
Cheers.
---
Daniel
This too is not happening for me, Daniel, as is not the other bug mentioned here: https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=559.

Hotspot was working fine in few days before one of my Pi's died... As I said...
BTW, my oldest Raspberry Pi Zero W died, so I had no spare for GD77 hotspot to test. Used 3A+, which is now in my Duplex Jumbo Spot. In the meantime I got two more 3A+, one for GD77 and one spare. Now starting long term test to see if I'll have those bugs (this one and the other one reported here: https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=560).
Now, there was one bug before I stopped testing, and it's still present... Don't get me wrong, there is no hanging in fake TX, no TG 0 appearing, GD77 in hotspot mode is never stuck and always operational, which is great! But there is still fake transmission (with same TG or PC as last one) from handheld to GD77 hotspot which is registered by Pi-Star and sent to BrandMeister. You can see it on attached images, GD77 is orange Pi-Star (source RF duration 0.0), and Generic Chinese hotspot is blue one (source Net duration 0.1).
Attachments
capture2.jpg
capture2.jpg (136.91 KiB) Viewed 203 times
capture1.jpg
capture1.jpg (44.56 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Marko

User avatar
F1RMB
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by F1RMB » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi Marko,
YT5HOK wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:52 am
F1RMB wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:01 am
...
Cheers.
---
Daniel
This too is not happening for me, Daniel, as is not the other bug mentioned here: https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=559.

Hotspot was working fine in few days before one of my Pi's died... As I said...
BTW, my oldest Raspberry Pi Zero W died, so I had no spare for GD77 hotspot to test. Used 3A+, which is now in my Duplex Jumbo Spot. In the meantime I got two more 3A+, one for GD77 and one spare. Now starting long term test to see if I'll have those bugs (this one and the other one reported here: https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=560).
Now, there was one bug before I stopped testing, and it's still present... Don't get me wrong, there is no hanging in fake TX, no TG 0 appearing, GD77 in hotspot mode is never stuck and always operational, which is great! But there is still fake transmission (with same TG or PC as last one) from handheld to GD77 hotspot which is registered by Pi-Star and sent to BrandMeister. You can see it on attached images, GD77 is orange Pi-Star (source RF duration 0.0), and Generic Chinese hotspot is blue one (source Net duration 0.1).
Could you try this firmware to check if you still get some ghost frames ?.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
73 de Daniel.

User avatar
kd2lh
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Re: Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by kd2lh » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:11 pm

I'll give the general release 1/29 firmware a test first, then come back to this if the problem recurs.

Thanks, Marc

User avatar
YT5HOK
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Belgrade, KN04FR

Re: Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by YT5HOK » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:41 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 pm
Hi Marko,

Could you try this firmware to check if you still get some ghost frames ?.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Of course. I'll be testing for the rest of the day, then report later this evening. Your time zone is UTC+1, right?

BTW, does this test release includes all changes from today's update: https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?p=4745#p4737? Just asking, not important for testing this.
Marko

User avatar
F1RMB
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by F1RMB » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi Marko,
YT5HOK wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:41 pm
F1RMB wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 pm
Hi Marko,

Could you try this firmware to check if you still get some ghost frames ?.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Of course. I'll be testing for the rest of the day, then report later this evening. Your time zone is UTC+1, right?

BTW, does this test release includes all changes from today's update: https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?p=4745#p4737? Just asking, not important for testing this.
Yes, GMT+1
And yes, it includes all the changes, plus some unmerged yet.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
73 de Daniel.

User avatar
YT5HOK
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Belgrade, KN04FR

Re: Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by YT5HOK » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:11 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 pm
Hi Marko,

Yes, GMT+1
And yes, it includes all the changes, plus some unmerged yet.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Thanks! I will be reporting later... :ugeek:
Marko

User avatar
F1RMB
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: Hotspot Mode - GD77 Reboots mid call

Post by F1RMB » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:59 pm

YT5HOK wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:11 pm
F1RMB wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 pm
Hi Marko,

Yes, GMT+1
And yes, it includes all the changes, plus some unmerged yet.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Thanks! I will be reporting later... :ugeek:
Hmmm, this one introduce a lot of dropouts... Need to think about another possible solution.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
73 de Daniel.

Post Reply