Problem with the MD-380 radio

SO5AJG

Problem with the MD-380 radio

Post by SO5AJG » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi,
I wrote about this problem to Roger, who I still have and maybe someone can solve it. After uploading the 0.0.7 and 0.0.72 firmware, the MD-380 radio does not receive any sound when receiving, only the green LED is on. You can easily broadcast from this radio. I have two the same radios and both have the same problem. Both radios work with other single and dual slot hotspots as well as with external repeaters. Maybe someone had a similar problem. Radios worked properly with previous firmware 0.0.6.
With other radios like AnyTone 878, the Baofeng RD-5R OpenGD-77 hotspot works fine.
Janusz SO5AJG

VK3KYY

Re: Problem with the MD-380 radio

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:24 am

OK. I have a md380. So I can test this.

FYI. I found problems with my md380 connecting to my mmdvmhs hat hotspot, and had to set a different offset on the hat hotspot to make it work. Also sometimes to make a md380 connect to a hotspot the modulation level needs to be changed on the hotspot, but I did not implement modulation control in hotspot mode because I did not think it would be necessary

Anyway. I can test the hotspot with a md380 and also a GD73.

Also at my local club people have other radios like the anyone. So I will try to test more radios

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:34 am

Roger, the most interesting is that in version 0.0.6 all radios worked without a problem, then subsequent uploads of radio and hotspot firmware alternately caused that there were more and more difficulties in broadcasting until finally there is no complete broadcasting option. My question is whether it is not possible to completely clear the memory into which the firmware is being downloaded, to now cleanly upload this version 0.0.72. I suspect that now there have been some errors that unfortunately do not want to be corrected. My colleague also has MD-380 similar problems.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 am

Just reloading the firmware should put you back to version 0.0.6

You can also press the Blue / Function key when booting the radio as this will clear the settings. But the settings should automatically clear when you install the old version, as the settings contain a version number and if it doesn't match they are automatically reset

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:45 am

BTW.

I have not had time to do any testing with any other radios.

There have been 3 updates from 3 different developers and also a bug I fixed in FM squelch

I will try to find time to test with some other radios tomorrow, it would be good if other forum members could post about what radios they have tested it with

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Some time ago I wrote that I have a problem with version 0.0.6 to the hotspot, because I can't broadcast from any radio but I only receive. After that you sent me your GD-77 FirmwareLoader program, which I used once. Now I have repeated uploading version 0.0.6 with this program and it turned out that I can send and receive, everything turned out to be functional. I decided to upload version 0.0.72 with the same program, hoping that the MD-380 would start receiving, unfortunately it did not improve in this case. Could this program change anything in my GD-77?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:20 pm

It must be, but see the Hotspot section.

Many people tell me it works OK with their MD-380

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:54 pm

It just amazes me that I have this problem and others who wrote not. I can't find the reason. I made a trial uploading version 0.0.6 via CPS and none of the radios were broadcasting but receiving. Then I uploaded the firmware again using Loader and again no radio is transmitting. The situation repeated itself. I have to admit that since these attempts I am already confused because I do not see a solution to this problem, why this is happening.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Sorry. Its very difficult for me to know the precise problem

I can only attempt to fix problems which happen for me.

I will try my MD-380 later , and some other radios, later today, to see if I can replicate the problem.

SO5AJG

Post by SO5AJG » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:24 pm

However, I solved the problem, namely problems in the case of firmware 0.0.6 and firmware 0.0.72 calibration was included. As I switched it to OFF, the problems in both firmware were removed. The method of uploading firmware whether using a separate program or CPS does not matter. One problem I noticed is that something is hanging up in the transmission between the hotspot and the pistar, because after releasing the PTT the TX dashboard is still lit and the hotspot display is showing my data. This happens in version 0.0.72.