Reset while scanning zone containing multiple TS1 and TS2 channels

W1AEX

Reset while scanning zone containing multiple TS1 and TS2 channels

Post by W1AEX » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:31 pm

I've arranged the DMR zones in my codeplug to include two channels for each repeater that I use. One channel for each repeater is dedicated to TS1 and the other is dedicated to TS2. I have a TS1 talkgroup list and a TS2 talkgroup list that is assigned appropriately to each TS1 and TS2 channel. It works out great for my uses but I have noticed that if I scan my "DMR ALL" zone that contains all my TS1 and TS2 repeater channels plus my Zumspot channel (25 channels total) both of my GD77 radios will reset while scanning after anywhere from a few minutes to around an hour. It looks like the GD77 hits activity on TS1 and slides by and stops on TS2 occasionally. After a few of those events, the screen goes dark for an instant and the radio restarts with the CW tone and on the channel the radio started up with.

Being curious, I created two new zones, one that contains all my TS1 channels, and the other containing all my TS2 channels. Both of my GD77 radios will scan those all day long without re-setting. So, this looks like an issue with the radio possibly not being able to keep up with all the TS switching. Maybe the scan speed is a bit beyond the ability of my two radios to keep up?

I'm using the Dec 31 2019 firmware [118e28e] in both radios, however, I have seen this problem with all the firmware releases of the past month.

The symptoms seem very similar to the bug report below by IZ2EIB.

(Reset while scanning for CC in DMR Mode)
https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=334

73, Rob W1AEX

VK3KYY

Re: Reset while scanning zone containing multiple TS1 and TS2 channels

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 pm

Rob

I got a reset just entering a TG via the keypad, so I think one of the recent changes have caused some instability

It may be worth trying a slightly older version

Github keeps a copy of every version

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... latest.sgl

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 am

Hi Roger,

No worries as the reset events are mostly a curiosity so it's more a matter of just reporting the resetting anomaly.

As far as I know, both of my radios have always reset with every firmware I have tried, when scanning separate TS1 and TS2 DMR channels put together in a zone.

It looks like my new separate TS1 and TS2 zones are workable though. If I scan either one of them, I can accomplish the same thing by setting the TS filter to none and then scanning. My first GD77 seems to scan happily and it catches the activity from all the repeaters on both time slots without any reset events. It's been scanning perfectly for more than 1.5 hours but time will tell if it's completely stable. I have not tried the other radio yet but I'll give that one a try over the weekend.

Thanks and 73, Rob W1AEX

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:05 am

Rob

Thanks

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:03 pm

One last word on this bug report. Instead of listing this zone so that each repeater was scanned for TS1 and then TS2, I reorganized my "DMR ALL" zone so that the 12 repeaters are now listed so that all theTS1 channels are together and then all the TS2 channels are listed together. This way, instead of switching timeslots repeatedly during a single zone scan, it only switches timeslots twice. Both of my GD77 radios have been scanning all day long and have not reset once. Works like a champ!

73, Rob W1AEX

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:32 pm

Rob

As a matter of interest, does it crash when it receives a signal or just crash regardless, if you leave it going for along enough ?

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:17 pm

Roger,

With the old zone configuration which was thrashing the timeslots, I always saw the LED on top light up when it crashed, so I believe it was stopping for activity when the reset occurred.

Rob

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:25 am

Rob.
OK. That seems the most likely thing.