Simultaneous transmission on both time slots.

IZ2EIB

Simultaneous transmission on both time slots.

Post by IZ2EIB » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi guys.
Is it only me or very often by transmitting both time slots are used?
I noticed it while I was monitoring on the BrandMeister dashboard.
The thing happens with firmwares 20191206214639[f71b876], 20191207214955[d20eb2e] and 20191208202447[3d77f5b] (next time I will put a screenshot of the display, I promise).
In most cases the activation of both time slots while transmitting occurs individually, but there are cases where it is repeated twice (TSx, TSx and immediately following TSy, TSy) and even three times (TSx, TSx, TSx and immediately after TSy, TSy , TSy).
TSx and TSy are to be understood as TS1 and TS2 or TS2 and TS1, as the first one activated would seem to be the one programmed for the TG, it is not always TS1 and then TS2 or TS2 and then TS1.
At first I thought I had inadvertently set the "Dual Capacity Direct Mode" option, but sadly it was not so.
I did several tests on the local BrandMeister repeater finding that it happens often, only rarely it does not occur.
The thing could be related to other problems that I described in another post (keyboard lock and inability to restore my GD-77 with the original factory firmware from Radioddity), I do not know, however it seemed right to me to warn about the thing.
Thanks.

73 best regards de Fabio IZ2EIB

VK3KYY

Re: Simultaneous transmission on both time slots.

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Do you mean ..

A. Transmission on both slots simultaneously ?

Or
B. Transmission on the wrong timeslot.

I think you mean B.

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi Roger.
Sadly it is "A. Transmission on both slots simultaneously".

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:05 pm

IZ2EIB wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:32 pm
Hi Roger.
Sadly it is "A. Transmission on both slots simultaneously".

Ummm.

OK. That's actually better, but very strange.

How do you know its transmitting on both TS ? Perhaps its swapping constantly ?

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi Roger.
Thank you very much for the great support!
VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:05 pm

How do you know its transmitting on both TS ? Perhaps its swapping constantly ?
I saw the thing on BrandMeister's dashboard, for my local repeater exactly here:

https://brandmeister.network/?page=repeater&id=223208

But today I repeated the tests with the firmware
NEW.png
NEW.png (1010 Bytes) Viewed 4840 times
and I have not detected the problem anymore.
I also tried to load the firmware
OLD.png
OLD.png (1 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
but also everything was fine.
I do not know what to think, I will try to do further tests later in the night so as not to disturb other users and I will let you know.
When I noticed the problem I would have liked to be able to reload the factory firmware from Radioddity and check with that, but sadly I can not restore my transceiver with its stock firmware.
Was it a temporary problem with my local repeater?
Will it be a random flaw in my transceiver?
Will my GD-77 have problems?
Will it have been network problems?
I can not say.
Anyway in detail what I saw is that by pressing the PTT once and then releasing it, the repeater was hit both on the time slot 1 and on the time slot 2, most often individually, but there have been cases where he did it twice on a TS and twice on the other, or even 3 times consecutively on a TS and the same number on the other always while pressing and releasing the PTT only once.
I hope I have been understandable, a screenshot would have clarified the matter, but sadly I have nothing to show.
Thanks Roger, keep in touch.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:05 pm

I changed the compiler optimisation level on the DMR code file, but I honestly don't think that would change anything, the DMR DSP is explicitly told to transmit on one time slot then told to not transmit on the next slot etc.

When you get the error is the radio transmitting constantly or just sending pulses of the Wakeup code

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi Roger.
The GD-77 is just sending pulses of the Wakeup code in order to see me on the dashboard.
I also thought it might be a consequence of low power transmissions, although actually the local repeater I use is very close to my QTH, so I wanted to set the power to 1W, which is the same value I always used without problem with the same GD-77 when it still had the factory firmware from Radioddity.
Sadly the local repeater I use does not show the BER, so I can not say anything about it.
In any case, after all the tests performed last night suggested that the problem had disappeared, this evening it reappeared again and I was able to take a couple of screenshots (I did not keep insist in order not to disturb other users, since by performing my tests I also starting the local cluster on the wrong time slot).
Here you go:
250mW_inside_house.jpg
250mW_inside_house.jpg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
1W_inside_house.jpg
1W_inside_house.jpg (42.88 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
I performed the tests inside my house with the GD-77 equipped with its supplied antenna.
Later, when there will be fewer users or nobody I will try to increase the power.
However with the factory firmware from Radioddity and the same power (1W) I have often monitored myself on the BrandMeister dashboard without noticing any oddity and it must also be said that I checked the RF calibration data of my GD-77 which are exactly the same as when the factory firmware from Radioddity was installed.
Roger, many thanks for the kind support!

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:02 am

Guys, season's greetings to all!
Roger, thank you very much for this awesome upgrade, it was a fantastic Christmas gift for me!
I am keep testing firmwares, today was the turn of the latest release
25122019.png
25122019.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
In the meantime I have retrieved a second GD-77 noticing how it behaves exactly like the other one I own, so I am testing the firmware on two different GD-77s.
A report follows with the only purpose of reporting what was found, no polemical intent of any kind at all.

About the problem of simultaneous transmission on both time slots of which I have already written here in this thread and elsewhere in the forum,
25122019.jpg
25122019.jpg (85.11 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
both GD-77s have it when they use Open firmware, while it does not with the factory firmware from Radioddity.
I do not think it is a problem with my local repeater, because no other DMR terminal of other brands or models, as well as my two GD-77s with the stock firmware from Radioddity, have it.
The two GD-77s that I used for the tests are definitely working, what comes to my mind is that there may be something related to the hardware, since both devices were purchased in January 2018.
For what it can be useful, their serial numbers are as follows:

S/N: 1709A13211
S/N: 1709A13851

One thing that I noticed but that I do not know if it could be important in order to trace the problem, is that with the factory firmware from Radioddity by performing the disconnection (TG4000) while the promiscuos mode is enabled, both GD-77s emit a beep and show their DMR id number, while if the promiscuos mode is not enabled, the disconnection occurs without any sound indication and without showing anything on the display.
In any case, promiscuos mode enabled or not, looking at the BM dashboard a single case of simultaneous transmission on both time slots has never detected, it has always been used only and exclusively the time slot set by codeplug.
With the Open firmware, by performing a disconnection (TG4000), there is no sound indication, nor messages shown on the display.
I clarify that, as I have already reported other times here and elsewhere in the forum and from the attached screenshoot above, the defect of the simultaneous transmission on both time slots is not a only prerogative of the disconnection command TG4000, but that it occurs with any TG when the time slot not engaged in the transmission is free.
Indeed it seems that if the time slot not used for transmission is busy, this thing of simultaneous transmission on both time slots does not happen.
Not having an appropriate DMR test set, I wanted to try to verify the data emitted by my two GD-77s with a UNIDEN UBCD3600XLT scanner capable of decoding the DMR traffic transmitted by the two transceivers (one at a time is meant), noting that very often the time slot detected by the scanner does not match to the one set by codeplug, and that even by changing it from the keyboard with the [*] key or from "Channel details", still equally it does not match.
While with the two GD-77s with the factory firmware from Radioddity and always using the same UNIDEN UBCD3600XLT scanner, there are no time slot problems, which are uniquely detected and perfect match with what is programmed in the transceivers.
The UNIDEN UBCD3600XLT is able to show also other parameters (TGs, DMR id, etc., etc.) and with Open firmware everything match except for the time slot which does not, while using the stock firmware from Radioddity there is not problem of any kind.
Not being able to have anything else, I am thinking of borrowing also an AOR DV1 scanner for comparison, that maybe some more details come up.

It seems to me that it has already been mentioned elsewhere, in any case I refer it equally, although it is not linked only to this firmware release (but not even what I described above is).
While performing tone scan the identified one almost never match to the real value of it.
Indeed, with a real value of 141.3Hz the scan stops on 123.0Hz, probably due to a lack of filtering.

Thanks!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:11 am

Fabio

When you transmit on both timeslots, can other stations hear you on both timeslots ?

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:50 am

How are you using the scanner to receive the radio?
To get an indication of timeslot you must tune to the repeaters output frequency.
Only the repeaters output signal contains timeslot information.
The signal sent by the radio does not contain any timeslot information.

As you have two radios can you set both on the same repeater and listen to yourself. If you set one radio to slot 1 and one to slot 2 can you hear yourself?

You can only test this through a repeater because on simplex the timeslot setting has no meaning.

Your other issue about CTCSS tone scanning is already known. It appears to be a limitation of the chip in the radio which sometimes detects one tone before or after the correct one.