backlight on when the radio receives an empty dmr signal

IU4LEG

backlight on when the radio receives an empty dmr signal

Post by IU4LEG » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:55 am

hi Roger, I had already reported to you the problem before the forum was opened. to be fair I also write it here.

the problem is this: every 30 seconds all the repeaters ( in taly) send a signal (I believe service signals). while they send it, the display remains off (and that's right), but when the signal stops, the display lights up for a few seconds and then turns off. This happens whenever the repeater transmits these signals, very often.

Update:
I could not find out what kind of signal it is, but the problem also occurs when is listening on the ts2 and someone is transmitting on the ts1. when the repeater queue falls the display lights up.

you can view the videoclip of the problem here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TyHZ6 ... hDWaW7tzfQ

73 de IU4LEG

VK3KYY

Re: backlight on when the radio receives an empty dmr signal

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:26 am

Its because the Motorola repeater is transmitting an identification signal every 30 seconds.

Currently the GD-77 will put on the backlight when it receives any DMR signal, even this identification signal

Unfortunately I don't have any local repeaters which transmit this signal so I can't analyse its contents, however I will contact someone who uses a commercial Motorola network and ask him what frequencies he uses, and perhaps i can listen to the commercial network to analyse the identification signal

IU4LEG

Post by IU4LEG » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Ok Roger thank you. 73

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Roger,

The beacon signal is just a short period of ‘both timeslots idle’ frames. There is no special signalling involved. It is exactly the same as the repeater sends after being woken up.

It is used by radios that support roaming to give them something to receive when there is no other traffic. This allows them to preselect the best repeater.

I would expect the green light to come on when receiving this signal but not the backlight. Maybe it just needs the backlight trigger changing so it only comes on when voice traffic is detected.

KU4ZD

Post by KU4ZD » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:24 pm

I see the same thing also

I1KDO

Post by I1KDO » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi,
the radio always remains with the display on - it is no longer possible to give this light a light in any situation [69d7ab9] 24-11-19
in the menu there is no longer the possibility of adjustment
kk

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:48 pm

Just go into the display options and change theTimeout.

The default back light Timeout when a factory reset is performed has been changed so that light does not go out at all.
This is because some people find difficulty seeing the screen if the backlight is off, and found difficulty navigating to the Display Options to enable the backlight

I1KDO

Post by I1KDO » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Sorry Roger I had not considered Timeout at 0
tnx

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:26 pm

I1KDO wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:13 pm
Sorry Roger I had not considered Timeout at 0
tnx
OK

The changes in the latest version, needed me to reset the settings as the data organistion in the settings memory needed to change as I moved the storage for the VFO to use the codeplug memory instead of the settings memory

And at the same time I changed the default for the backlight to help people with vision problems

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Did some testing of the backlight when receiving repeater beacons.
The backlight is actually triggered at the end of the beacon.

So what happens is the beacon starts, the green light comes on, the backlight remains off. (that's what I would expect to happen)
The beacon ends, the green light goes out, the backlight turns on.

It looks like the backlight might be being triggered by an update to the QSO data display even though there is actually no new data to display.