DMR Enthusiast

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
KE8NRO

DMR Enthusiast

Post by KE8NRO » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:36 am

I am a new Ham. I received my callsign in January with Technician class privileges and passed the test for the General class in May. I bought a used BF DM 1801 back in February. I was having issues with the code plug programming. Coincidentally the day I got the firmware updated to OpenGD77 the battery died. I could not get the battery to take a charge, so I ended up having to order a new battery and charger base. I believe the radio had been disassembled because the brass nut securing the antenna terminal was loose in the box. I could be wrong, but there seems to be a short in the speaker. I have a few local repeaters programmed with their corresponding talk groups. I have not been able to determine if the lack of sound is due to my code plug or my speaker. Anyhow, this seems like the place to be for help in figuring these problems out. This has been frustrating at times, but overall I am enjoying the challenge. I like to look at it like solving a puzzle. Looking forward to meeting some of you who are also working with this radio.

VK3KYY

Re: DMR Enthusiast

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:25 am

Welcome

Its possible the nut just worked loose, as I don't think these radios get any form of quality control in the factory, but as the battery was also defective, it sounds like they sold you a radio that someone else has returned :-(

KE8NRO

Post by KE8NRO » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:30 pm

It turned out that the battery was fine. It was the charger base that was the problem.

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:55 pm

You could try a headphone in the remote speaker mic jack... It might help you determine if the radio has any audio.

I think that these radios do get some form of testing an quality control, plus much of the assembly is likely fixture based and to some extent automated.

There isn't much budget for doing quality control, though.

In case you'd like to review it, there have been videos made at the factory. This post links to many:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=731