Looking into Open GD77 Firmware.

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
KG5VOO

Looking into Open GD77 Firmware.

Post by KG5VOO » Mon May 25, 2020 5:31 am

Looking forward to browsing this site and learning.

I have a GD-77 and a GD-77S and I'm interested in how the OPEN GD77 Firmware will increase the capabilities of my two radios.

I already have a JumboSpot, So, the hotspot mode may not be my primary interest, but time will tell.

Dave Nyberg
KG5VOO

VK3KYY

Re: Looking into Open GD77 Firmware.

Post by VK3KYY » Mon May 25, 2020 5:47 am

Welcome Dave

KG5VOO

Post by KG5VOO » Mon May 25, 2020 6:09 am

Thanks for the welcome!!

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 pm

Welcome to the project.

There are a number of improvements in OpenGD77 firmware and the accompanying CPS (you have to be using both).

See the User Guide for OpenGD77 for details:

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... r_Guide.md

The number of channels is expanded .Downloading the digital RadioID mapping to call signs is somewhat automated, and a single channel can be used for all talk groups on that frequency pair (Transmit / Receive either Simplex or Duplex).

The firmware is being maintained actively by project members here, and also has some feature enhancements like the hotspot mode. In HotSpot mode, the GD77 is connected directly to a host computer (PiStar on Raspberry Pi or BlueDV on Windows, Android or iOS) via USB. It then can operate at up to the full power of the GD77 instead of the much lower power of the MMDVM Hat in the JumboSpot - but ONLY in DMR mode...

Once operators have tried it, it's extremely rare to hear them abandon it for the factory firmware. That said, it's all volunteer, and open technology. No warranties, etc... It always feels risky to swap out the firmware of a device, but once you've done it a few times, it feels natural... The USB drivers used with OpenGD77 CPS on Windows 10 have been absolutely solid on my systems.

The connection from the GD77 to the controlling Raspberry Pi or BlueDV device are prone to picking up spurious interference, and causing errors on the USB connection. For that reason, you should use an external antenna (not the radio mounted one) for HotSpot mode if you try it.