Greetings from G4KXQ

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
G4KXQ

Greetings from G4KXQ

Post by G4KXQ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi there! Greetings from sunny Devon in South West England.

I own two GD77. One was the original batch with the display ribbon cable problems. Unfortunately, due to the number of times I tried to fix this defect I’ve now broken the latch on the ribbon cable connector. I did complain to Radioddity about poor quality so they generously sent me a replacement.

This first unit is now dedicated to high-power hotspot use. It has no display so I rely on pressing the black function key when powering up to force Hotspot mode.

I’m still running late 2019 firmware as I have no display and therefor no MMI. It would be nice if the display timeout was by default as the display is lit continuously whilst in use.

I recently converted my other working unit to the OpenGD77 Firmware and enjoying the extra facilities offered should as changing talkgroups on the fly and the talker alias.
I do observe some anomalies such as the Talkgroup and Timeslot not corresponding to the codeplug but I’m not sure if that’s finger problem or still outstanding features to be resolved.
All in all I think the work from Roger and the gang is great and looking forward to the continued advancement in features

Regards Mike G4KXQ

VK3KYY

Re: Greetings from G4KXQ

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi Mike

Umm.

Having no display will be a problem when using the newer firmware, as the hotspot activation was put into the options menu because we had to add functionality specifically to support BlueDV and this needed a menu option.

I will need to check if the SK1 to enable Hotspot mode was removed when the new menu option was added.

Re default backlight to off.

We can’t do this, because anyone trying to install the firmware in difficult lighting conditions or if they have poor eyesight would have problems.

However currently there are Function button controls to directly turn the display brightness up and down, which you could use.

The only alternative to both of these problems is to backup the EEPROM then manually edit the hex codes to change the settings and then upload the EEPROM data back into the radio.