Hello from SoCal!

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
kj6la

Hello from SoCal!

Post by kj6la » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:49 am

My name is George and I have been a licensed ham for over 50 years. I love HF and have had an interest in most of the digital mode for a long time. When I learned about the Opengd77 firmware, I knew that I wanted to give DMR another chance. I recently purchased a new TYT MD UV 380 with GPS to experiment with. I am very excited to explore the amazing things that members of our amateur community have created. I do have a question for my colleagues. When installing the Opengd77 firmware in the TYT for the first time, do I have to begin with the alpha version or can I begin with the latest beta? I am not very computer savvy and so will likely have many trivial questions along the way. It is great to be here and I look forward to learning from all of you.

VK3KYY

Re: Hello from SoCal!

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:26 am

Welcome

You can install any version, i.e go straight to the latest Beta.

Changing versions sometimes requires the settings to be reset back to their defaults, but that's about the only thing which can happen if updateing from an older to a newer version.

Going back from an newer version to an older version is not generally advised, because there have been changes to the CPS to support new features in the newer versions of the firmware, so going back to an older version, you may also have to install an older version of the CPS and older versions of the voice prompt files

kj6la

Post by kj6la » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:32 am

Thank you so much! I have a little fear of bricking the tyt and so want to be sure I am starting off in the right direction. I appreciate the information. I will give it a go tomorrow!!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:54 am

kj6la wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:32 am
Thank you so much! I have a little fear of bricking the tyt and so want to be sure I am starting off in the right direction. I appreciate the information. I will give it a go tomorrow!!
I'm not aware of any instances of their TYT getting bricked during the update

kj6la

Post by kj6la » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:58 am

Good to know. I will be bold in my efforts to install. I really look forward to exploring a renewed md uv 380!