New Member Coin G4EML

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
G4EML

New Member Coin G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:38 am

Hi I am Colin G4EML, I have been licenced since 1973 and my main area of interest has always been VHF and upwards.

Ever since radios stopped using two crystals per channel and started being software programmable I have had an interest in how they work.
Over the years I have written many programming utilities for many different radio types, mainly for my own use but several have been used by the wider amateur radio community.
When DMR radios appeared I started to write utilities to make programming them easier.

When the GD-77 arrived I did some work with Jason and Roger to find a way of accessing the flash memory to be able to do more than the CPS normally allowed. From the early days it appeared that this radio might be hackable in a similar way to the MD380.

Thanks to Kai's efforts that has proved to be true. I made some contributions to the development of OpenGD77 after Roger and Kai had got it basically working.

Thanks must go to Roger for continuing to develop things to where they are today. Unfortunately I don't have as much spare time to devote to the project as I would like. And it does take a lot of time! I doubt Roger has kept a record of the hours worked but it must easily be in the thousands by now. Hopefully I will get some more time to make more contributions in the future.

VK3KYY

Re: New Member Coin G4EML

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks Colin

Hopefully this site will allow us to make informed decisions about new and existing functionality of the firmware and the CPS