Hi From LAKE OF THE OZARKS KB1FUA

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
KB1FUA

Hi From LAKE OF THE OZARKS KB1FUA

Post by KB1FUA » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:36 pm

Hello, and thank you!
First Licensed in CT on October 18 2000, and was a tech until June 14th of this year (2023), and I passed my General. Nope, not getting a vanity call. I earned this one-I'm keeping it. I was living in CT at the time I took my tech exam. I moved back to IL in 2008, and then my wife and I moved to MO in 2019 to retire to. June 1st of 2023 I retired.
I bought my Baofeng DM-1701in 2020. After several attempts to program this radio, and the small pi-star and failed, I boxed up the pi-star, and programmed the radio as an analog HT via the keypad...(which as far as I'm concerned should be the only way to program a radio).
At the time, I owned no computer, just a tablet, and my personal flip phone (yes, old farts phone). I was also working full time and putting in 70 to 90 hours a week. I had a company laptop, but could not download, or connect nothing to it, because of company proprietary rules.
So, I borrowed a friend's-who does not have DMR. It just would not work. Eventually, a club member from the local radio club had programmed several Anytones, so he said he would give it a try. He had it for three weeks. He eventually got it programmed, along with the pi-star. That has been just over a year ago now. I'd like to add more to it, and and remove most of the analog zones, and frequencies.
A bit nervous to attempt it, but I need to do it. I'm tired of having to rely on someone else.
I have an HP PC, running Windows 10. It is a used PC. I'm 62, and will only be using it for the Baofeng for programming.. It is the ONLY radio REQUIRED to be programmed for my digital voice. My Yaesu FT-70D does not. These are the only digital voice modes in my area.
Youtube videos would be really great, IF...they were to add pause spots, when trying to learn how to program via computer. I'm not much on computers. I'm not computer savvy at all. I do research, check my email, and I use QRZ to log my HF contacts. And now, will be learning on how to program the DM-1701.
Thank you!

VK3KYY

Re: Hi From LAKE OF THE OZARKS KB1FUA

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:34 pm

Welcome.

Do you have a specific question or questions. If so can you just write them as bullet points

KB1FUA

Re: Hi From LAKE OF THE OZARKS KB1FUA

Post by KB1FUA » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:32 pm

No, not as yet..
I just wanted to pre-post, in case I do.
Thank you for your response!